2 Hour Intro to Wing Chun Class

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My CI charges $55/month for adults, ...
That's pretty low. I used to charge $30/month back in 1973. That was 43 years ago.

Peishaolin_Kung_Fu_school.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty low. I used to charge $30/month back in 1973. That was 43 years ago.

The last amount I paid was somewhere around $90/month. I charge $50, because that's what folks expect at the facility I use. If I don't pick up more students soon, I'm raising rates and running a new marketing campaign.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My CI retired from one of the trade unions last year. His wife retired around the same time from a state job. They've both got pretty good pensions/retirement plans. It's always been a way for him to continue his training. The rent is cheap. I think it probably pays the overhead, pays for him to go to NYC to train every month or so and assist with black belt tests a few times a year. Maybe even a vacation or two every year. I can't imagine it making much more money than that.

Come to think of it, he started the dojo because the 2 guys who were in charge in the area had a falling out and left the organization. He was an assistant instructor under both of them and about 4th dan at the time. So instead of leaving the organization, choosing between those two, or stopping training, he started a dojo. That was about 30 years ago.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And, it gives me the power to say no to anybody I don't want to teach, for any reason or for no reason at all.
I agree that to have the freedom to stop a class whenever you want is important. I don't charge monthly. I only charge a set fee for 2 hours class. This way, after 1 class, I can also quit whenever I want to.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The last amount I paid was somewhere around $90/month. I charge $50, because that's what folks expect at the facility I use. If I don't pick up more students soon, I'm raising rates and running a new marketing campaign.
I charge $50 per individual and $60 for the family package.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I charge $50 per individual and $60 for the family package.
That's a good deal on the family package. I just knock the price down $10 on each subsequent family member. So one person is $50, two are $90, three are $120, four would be $140, and anything beyond that I'd get tired of counting.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a good deal on the family package. I just knock the price down $10 on each subsequent family member. So one person is $50, two are $90, three are $120, four would be $140, and anything beyond that I'd get tired of counting.

My CI does the same.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a good deal on the family package.
It is a good deal. Here's the effect of it.

Family members=17
2 mothers now train with their son.
2 fathers now train with their son
A family of 3
1 couple (boy friend + girlfriend)
1 married couple
1 father and daughter

Individuals=3
1 male who couldn't get his girlfriend to join
1 female who is single
1 teenage girl

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a good deal. Here's the effect of it.

Family members=17
2 mothers now train with their son.
2 fathers now train with their son
A family of 3
1 couple (boy friend + girlfriend)
1 married couple
1 father and daughter

Individuals=3
1 male who couldn't get his girlfriend to join
1 female who is single
1 teenage girl
I'd probably think about it if I accepted anyone under 16. I've only had one family get above 2 people in class, and that was just while a college-age daughter was home for the Summer. I've been thinking of expanding the discount to friends. So, if someone training with me brings in a friend, they get $10 off for as long as that friend is a student. Bring in enough friends, and you'd pay nothing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd probably think about it if I accepted anyone under 16. I've only had one family get above 2 people in class, and that was just while a college-age daughter was home for the Summer. I've been thinking of expanding the discount to friends. So, if someone training with me brings in a friend, they get $10 off for as long as that friend is a student. Bring in enough friends, and you'd pay nothing.
That actually sounds good. I'll have to see how I can market martial arts as a group activity for college students. Sort of like how friends go workout at the same gym.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That actually sounds good. I'll have to see how I can market martial arts as a group activity for college students. Sort of like how friends go workout at the same gym.
My thinking is that it would build that sense of community faster, and it gives a simple, no-embarrassment way for someone in financial straits to cover their tuition if they can manage to bring people in.

And people with friends in class have better attendance.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some reason it is not letting me quote people in replies today, so...

Cephalopod:

Those were my thoughts exactly. Give them a heads up the intention would be to change to somewhere where I WILL be paying rent, and that would mean tuition. However, I could keep track of those who joined and stuck with me when it was free, and they could get a lifetime discount for that.

Originally I was a bit concerned about the money, but for a very good reason: if I don't get paid, then I CANNOT afford the rent or insurance right out of pocket. Luckily, the gym that offered me space was okay with me not having insurance right away, as long as I created a waiver for people to sign.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would grandfather them in because at least then you can use those students as marketing material to get paying students to join. People are more likely to join when they see that you have students. The new student's automatically assume that the current students at the school are paying, so if they are paying then the class must be worth the money. Once people get hooked on the classes and the friendships that are created from the classes, then they will be willing to pay if it helps to keep the school open which in terms helps to keep that part of their social life available.

Oh NOW it lets me quote people.

I would really prefer to grandfather people in. However, there would still be the concern of me having the rent up front. Maybe if I get anyone who sticks with me, I could do something like starting a fundraise: "Hey, folks, I want to move to a place where we can have more equipment and the space is ours, but since I don't charge tuition, I don't have the first month's rent and security deposit that the place wants, so I am starting a fundraiser."

If no one donates, then...oh well. But I could make it worth their time by offering free private lessons or something of that nature...maybe.

Nothing I say is definite. I am just brainstorming right now.

One other great option: if this class at Hudson Valley goes well, I can offer another that would be longer. Then another that is longer. And then maybe one more. And save the money they pay me toward the same fees I mentioned above.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This would be my approach, too. I'd rather have a few non-paying students who are committed and helping make the classes more interesting.

Right, and then newbies would have "senior" students to train with and learn from, people who would give them something to aim for.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. My point was just that the OP has to take that into account when figuring how many students he needs to pay for a space.

The space is asking $100 for one month. I think I could easily get away with asking $100 per month tuition, and break even after ONE student. :)

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could then offer private classes which of course you would charge for to the students who are interested, and have them in a different location

My thoughts exactly. Group classes free at library, private lessons cost.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The space is asking $100 for one month. I think I could easily get away with asking $100 per month tuition, and break even after ONE student. :)
Since on any given month there's a chance someone will quit, you'd need a minimum of two paying students to cover costs (the second is in case the first quits). Still a fairly low target. And your insurance for a small program will probably be about $500-700/year, unless something's significantly different in NY (and it often is, especially with insurance). So three students covers all of your expenses, plus a bit to hold back for equipment, even allowing that one may quit. When you get to 7 or 8, the math gets easier, and you may actually get to take some home.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would really prefer to grandfather people in. However, there would still be the concern of me having the rent up front.
If they enjoy your company and the exercises then they will probably be willing to chip in to help get a place to train especially if they don't have to pay the full price. The trick is to get them to a point were training with you becomes an important part of their social life. Once training reaches that level, then it's really difficult to just drop it after they have made friends and personal connections.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they enjoy your company and the exercises then they will probably be willing to chip in to help get a place to train especially if they don't have to pay the full price. The trick is to get them to a point were training with you becomes an important part of their social life. Once training reaches that level, then it's really difficult to just drop it after they have made friends and personal connections.
And this social connection is part of why it's easier to keep students when you have more students. That way, when one leaves, it doesn't change the entire feel of the room.

Hazardi172

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I would recommend don't charge anything per month and don't teach martial arts as a money making enterprise.

If you do need to charge to cover your time and/or premises then charge by attendance. Monthly charges are a big turn off to many people, and they make you a business, which changes the way you teach.