Train them just a little every day...

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found that although my kids do jujitsu twice a week and Muay Thai at least once a week, a lot of progress is made in between sessions.

I'm talking about the fact that I work about 5 minutes a day, every day with my kids. This short focused daily session, over time seems to produce some of the best results in developing their skills.

I have used these 5 to 10 minute sessions to develop my kids with firearms, unarmed martial arts and many other skills. Usually for best results I pick a topic like "clinching" or "counter takedown skills" and I stick with that subject for a few months.

Does anyone else do daily, short focused training sessions? How well has this strategy worked for you?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there’s a tricky move or something that feels unnatural (almost all swordsmanship feels unnatural!) then I’ll do exactly this with a wooden sword, in my drawing room for 10 reps or so regularly through the day, looking out for solutions to issues (solutions of which I’m beginning to realise are often several moves upstream of what is presenting me with troubles).

Children have greater neural plasticity so pick things up more quickly that us adults. This is one of the reasons I hate them so much. 😐

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found that although my kids do jujitsu twice a week and Muay Thai at least once a week, a lot of progress is made in between sessions.
Wow. Practicing outside of the formal classroom helps you learn. Whoda thunk it?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think you display a keen grasp of the obvious.
The only obvious thing is how uncouth, rude, superior and derogatory you appear to be. You often derail perfectly valid posts with your passive-aggressive interjections designed to ridicule the posters of this board. It’s uncalled for, it’s not a joke or banter and I for one, wish you’d kindly desist.

I think your status as a senior moderator of a ‘friendly’ message requires serious reconsideration by the actual superiors on this board, if, indeed there are any.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm talking about the fact that I work about 5 minutes a day, every day with my kids. This short focused daily session, over time seems to produce some of the best results in developing their skills.

I have used these 5 to 10 minute sessions to develop my kids with firearms, unarmed martial arts and many other skills. Usually for best results I pick a topic like "clinching" or "counter takedown skills" and I stick with that subject for a few months.

Does anyone else do daily, short focused training sessions? How well has this strategy worked for you?
Motor learning research shows that short, frequent, specific, practice is ideal for learning a new skill. Kids generally have a shorter attention span than adults, so consistent work on the same topic, for 5-10 minutes a day seems like a fantastic approach. Once someone has the basics really ingrained then longer sessions become more valuable, but this is a a great way to start!

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just think you display a keen grasp of the obvious.
You clearly miss the obvious and intentionally come off as rude. Acting in a way that people wouldn't and I suspect don't put up with in person.

I'm not upset, but please treat people on-line in a way that you would if you were looking them in the eye. Please act like a senior moderator if you want people to respect that position.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
treat people on-line in a way that you would if you were looking them in the eye.
Agree with you 100% on this. In order to earn respect from others, you first have to respect others.

When someone said,

- It shows how little you understand about tai chi.
- It shows how little you understand about MA.
- It shows how little you understand about Karate.
- It shows how little you understand about CMA.
- It shows how little you understand about throwing art.

Even if this may not address to me, I always feel very uncomfortable about it. I just believe people should not make such comment in the first place.

We should send out positive energy (make people happy). We should not send out negative energy (make people upset).

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I traveled a lot for business, I did a lot of 15-30 minute solo drills in my hotel room. I’m not as good about that with the distractions at home.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Motor learning research shows that short, frequent, specific, practice is ideal for learning a new skill. Kids generally have a shorter attention span than adults, so consistent work on the same topic, for 5-10 minutes a day seems like a fantastic approach. Once someone has the basics really ingrained then longer sessions become more valuable, but this is a a great way to start!
I became aware of the value of short focused session when I wanted to improve at handgun marksmanship. Longer dry fire sessions can even be counter productive and build bad habits, as your focus drops off.

But short, highly focused, daily practice pays of big time at certain technical skills.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s becoming clear that these micro training sessions really help develop excellence which is counterintuitive . Perhaps the traditional two hour training session, twice a week is outmoded. But of course we train like this so that it fits around our careers and families….those things that interfere with our pleasure and self-fulfilment 😐

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Totally into the micro training sessions. Maybe three times a day, I’ll practice 5-10 minutes. This doesn’t take the place our instructor led multi student practices. I love the group energy, but the micro does keep me in the grove daily without the burnout.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- It shows how little you understand about tai chi.
- It shows how little you understand about MA.
- It shows how little you understand about Karate.
- It shows how little you understand about CMA.
- It shows how little you understand about throwing art.
This describes me to a T.

Except the actual list I use is way longer. Way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody can understand fully about all of those. But to put that label on others is not respectful.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's a good thing I never fully understood Martial Arts. Had I, I probably would have stopped training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

This is great advice in just about every area of life.

Latest Discussions