1st World Teakwondo Poomsae Championships

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, after watching the videos and seeing so many variations, my opinion, I think it more depended on what judges you had than what was right or wrong. The ones I talked to didn't really go into the technical detail too much with me cause I must admit I tend to fall asleep on them when they do, sorry............................................

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but the 2006 World's are also on youtube.com

This is a sample. They're under "poomsae championship." It's interesting to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I only watched a small portion (the jr female) and the first senior male (41-50) and was perplexed. Watching Koryo, I noticed certain elements that have been changed(?) from what I was originally showed. A couple of movements I thought were actually wrong, unless they have been officially changed. Examples; opening double sidekicks were to be done at upper shin/knee area and lower chest/stomach area. They did ankle/lower shin and head. The first triple snap kicks were to be followed with a throat grab with the body arching downward, they maintained a ridged upright stance. The arching of the arms coming together in the movement before turning into the final triple movement was always done one one leg and the arms and leg(s) came together at the same time (showed balance and strength). They had both legs together and just brought the arms together. I saw some other minor variations, but these really stuck out to me.

Just reviewing these, showed me the best IMO did not win. but it looks like politics is an ever present constant.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first triple snap kicks were to be followed with a throat grab with the body arching downward, they maintained a ridged upright stance.

Hmm. I was taught that sequence as tiger-mouth strikes to the throat, not grabs.

And you were taught body arching downward? Really?

Anybody else out there learn it that way?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Scott, this is from the kukkiwon web site. On frame 12-2 of Koryo, notice the downward position of the hand. He's not as bent over because he's posing for the camera, but the hand/arm position dictates the correct position. According to the text accompaning the picture, it's a grab, but not for the throat. Something I just learned myself, but I was at least half right.

http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information04_03_9.jsp?div=04

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scott, this is from the kukkiwon web site. On frame 12-2 of Koryo, notice the downward position of the hand. He's not as bent over because he's posing for the camera, but the hand/arm position dictates the correct position. According to the text accompaning the picture, it's a grab, but not for the throat. Something I just learned myself, but I was at least half right.

http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information04_03_9.jsp?div=04

Ahhh my bad: I know where you are talking about now.

THAT (as it was taught to me) is catching a kick (passing it by and holding it at the hip) and breaking the knee. I was taught as shown: standing upright (albeit with a deep front stance, not a walking front stance).

I was taught to break with a downward palm strike as opposed to what appears to be a tiger-mouth strike on that site.

Latest Discussions