1st Dan Breaking Requirements...

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks TW

I was reading some of these descriptions and, starting at 35 years old, I was wondering if I would ever have the speed / power to do these kicks/breaks. You're inspiring!

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please don't mis-understand me, I mean no offense, but just out of curiosity I have to ask why there is such importance attatched to breaking boards in your system?
Once again, apologies in advance if I have inadvertantly offended anyone, that is not my intention, I really just want to know because I don't quite understand it.:asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Hi everyone,

Please don't mis-understand me, I mean no offense, but just out of curiosity I have to ask why there is such importance attatched to breaking boards in your system?

Simply, they are a measure of what you can do, of the training it takes to get there. If you can do some or all, you know then what you are capable of. TW

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Hi everyone,

Once again, apologies in advance if I have inadvertantly offended anyone, that is not my intention, I really just want to know because I don't quite understand it.:asian:

In my art, kyok pa is my least favorite aspect. I understand that it is an exercise in focus and power and I can see the benefit in that respect. Also, from a metaphorical standpoint, since we do our breaking at the end of all of our tests, breaking symbolizes breaking through to the next level.

My problems with breaking are these...

1. Most breaks are done against stationary targets...even the most flashy and complex ones. I see my art as fluid and instinctual so this is kind of counter productive to what I want out of MA training.

2. Breaking is showmanship. Years ago, schools did breaking to demonstrate speed and power in order to basically "show off." I am more low key, type b, if you know what I mean.

3. Breaking at high ranks is extremely difficult. There is nothing wrong with challenge, don't get me wrong, but breaking at upper ranks requires some of the flashiest most difficult techniques in our art. For instance, I will train hard for at least a year and a half to accomplish my third dan breaks. It takes a lot of time from other things in my art that I feel are more important.

As an alternative, I would prefer to do simple breaks with simple techniques that have little or no preperation. It would be neat to just turn on the lights and see a room with stations and imediately have to attack. Or maybe remove a blindfold and then go. Somehow adding an instinctual element would be a good thing in my opinion.

upnorthkyosa

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
t.

As an alternative, I would prefer to do simple breaks with simple techniques that have little or no preperation. It would be neat to just turn on the lights and see a room with stations and imediately have to attack. Or maybe remove a blindfold and then go. Somehow adding an instinctual element would be a good thing in my opinion.

We do blindfolded stuff for tournaments. Like a 360 jump back. Once you don't have your eyes to rely on, its alot tougher for the over 40 crowd. We depend on eyesight for balance. I think by practicing all this stuff, like the drop board spin heel, my spin heel has gotten alot faster. Or by practicing pushups for knife hand, my upper body has too. It is a motivating factor to perfect technique. Its hard to do everything though unless you spend more time and have sparring partners. My training has been in limbo pretty much because of that last break hanging over my head. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Hi everyone,

:asian:
Simon, it is a fair question, no need to apologize.

Breaking (kyukpa) is one of the main ingredients in Kukki-Taekwondo (along with Kibon (basic techniques), Poomsae (forms), Hoshinsul (self-defense), and Kyorugi (sparring). Boards are not the only inanimate objects broken-we also use bricks, concrete slabs, ice. We are measuring our ability to transmit force into something other than a human being (we do enough of that in sparring :).

Breaking is not important only in Taekwondo. Many Japanese systems place a high degree of importance on breaking. In fact, one of the best discussions on breaking is in Masutatsu Oyama's book "This Is Karate." Of course, he was Korean..... :)

Miles

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lady, and gentlemen,

Thanks very much for your responses, and please excuse me for having not gotten back to you sooner, although I have been watching this thread for a response, for some reason I have first been able to read your replies today (could just be me who is a bit slow with computers...)
You answered my question quite well all of you, once again thanks, it wasn't a criticism, just curiosity, and one of the things I enjoy most about this forum is having the opportunity to learn a little about other systems.
:asian:

T

Teh Tot

My first Gup breaking requirements are:

2 non-supported boards with Knife hand, reverse knife hand or forefist punch
2 tiles with a hand tecnique, (cannot remember which ones)
3 boards with any standing kick or 4 boards with a flying side piercing kick or midair 180 back pierceing kick.

fun fun :rolleyes:

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, my 1st Dan was an immediate side kick of 2-1" boards turning into a palm strike with 2-1" boards then running and jump rolling coming off the ground into a forward hammer fist of 2-2" concrete blocks.
For the 2nd Dan it was simpler it was 3-1" boards for a palm strike on each hand across the body and a palm strike on 2-2" concrete blocks downward.
For my 3rd Dan I had to do all foot breaks, first was a step behind side kick of 3-1" boards turning into a reverse side kick of 3-1" boards turning into a double jumping front snap kick of 2-1"boards (2) for each foot with finally ending in a head level reverse side kick of 2-2" concrete blocks.
I don not recommend any of these for anyone who wants to be able to have full use of their hands and feet in the future. My Master Kwon was and still is very old school. But I found that there are better ways to learn other than tearing your body apart.

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
My current art is Kenpo, but when I tested for TKD (1st Dan) we had to come up with a creative 3 station break.

I started with a 1 inch punch for the first break (1 board)
spun 180 dregrees for a ridge hand break (1 board)
and spun 90 dregees to a rear spinning back kick (3 boards)

Good Luck!

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Like MITKD, breaks are not required in our association. Oft they begin with a 1" pine board, 12"x12" (more like 7/8" but called 1") We had a young lady of about 9 break with a side kick for her green belt (9 mos training-16 hr per month min).

I broke my first 2" patio brick at brown, at 1st D I did a 1" punch on a single board, a speed break on a board held with 2 fingers, and a couple more 2 - 3 board breaks with kicks, though I forget what I fancied at the time. At 2nd D I did 3 breaks : tossed a board in the air spinning it and punched it (speed), and hammerfist 4 boards left handed (Oooooo) and 2 bricks right handed. No spacers. Now there are others in our association that attempted much more, one guy (big guy 300 lbs lean) did 10 bricks-spaced with a hammerfist at 1st D like they were styrofoam. We even have a tape of a higher rank that moved out west attempt a patio brick with his forehead! Hi did not damage his head, or the brick, but he did say OW! So, it varies.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first gup test will be 2 hands, two feet, and one speed break. Our choice. All with two boards (except the speed break if it's over head ... as in a running jump front kick, ect).

I think BB's do a 5 station break. I can remember if it's by choice or instructors choice, though. I'll have to ask.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure why my school doesn't require board breaking for the black belt test, it's not a requirement, but they usually perform a kicking technique, that's all. strange

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Faye said:
I'm not sure why my school doesn't require board breaking for the black belt test, it's not a requirement, but they usually perform a kicking technique, that's all. strange

I think that is strange too. I think our system of having to do a step side kick for yellow, a hopping side kick for orange, a spin side kick for green...etc. building up and using those at tournaments is a good system.
Those breaks are pretty easy for most people. Our breaks for black belt show (1) technique/speed break combination-shows higher ability (2) power break-3 boards palm or knife-shows strength besides technique (3) 3 boards flying side kick shows both used together, (4) 360 jumpback-2 shows the same (5) speed break knife hand with board held in one hand shows hand technique (6) spin sweep-board on edge on the floor - speed break-technical difficulty

I think by doing all these by test, you really know that you can do them. You have to practice them to get to that point to test.

We also have to demonstrate about 30 different kicks-each about 5-6 times
as part of our test. This is because in order to show a kick, teach, you really do have to know how to do it and do it well. TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The reason why most schools require breaking for Dan testing is because the Instructor wants to see the effectiveness of your technique-focus, speed, stopping, power, accuracy etc. Form is a great way to show mastery of your body. Free fighting shows control, fighting spirit, steps, defense/offense etc. But free fighting must be controlled. We don't want any accidents. Breaking is the only way to show just what your technique can do. If you cannot break a board or several boards, and show good form, your technique is suspect. You may have good form, but that's all it is. It has not been demonstrated to be effective.
I've seen way too many 1st Dan testers who tried to show very advanced technique through breaking and come off looking like a fool. I'd rather see one or several basic breaks done well, where there is no doubt as to their effectiveness.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school doesn't have standardised breaking tests. And I'm grateful for that, since my jumping kicks are woeful.

I agree partly with MTKD. Being able to break some boards or roofing tiles does not mean you have good power and technique. But NOT being able to break said boards or tiles means you definately DON'T have good power or technique.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breaking what a joke between Demo broads and the fine ART of baking them in the oven until a two year old can break them. I personally hate breaking, even through we do them (solely for mental preperation and build self esteem only). I rather have someone be able to proform proper kicks and forms then do a break, just a personal opion!GOD BLESS AMERICA

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept said:
Being able to break some boards or roofing tiles does not mean you have good power and technique. But NOT being able to break said boards or tiles means you definately DON'T have good power or technique.

Actually anybody with enough mass can power through a pile of boards alot easier than someone of 135lbs. and without much use of technique either. For a smaller person, it DOES take technique and DOES show power. Beside good technique you also have to have muscle to back up a power break especially for women and teens.

I don't regret for a minute all the breaks that I was required to do. It made me stronger and from the training and finally breaking, each became that much easier. Not to mention the confidence that is gained from breaking is definitely a plus. TW

R

rainbows

I'm horrendously bad at breaking. My organisation just re-introduced breaking after 5 years of not using it. They reintroduced it just in time for my black tag (1st gup) test. Thankfully I only had to do a 2 board side kick for that one.
I'm currently having big trouble with my 1st dan breaks. They are:
-1 board front elbow strike (finally got this for the first time yesterday, after injuring my right elbow I had to do it left-sided...)
-1 board side kick from parallel ready stance (no chance in HELL I'm getting this before the pretest for black belt, March 13)
-2 boards back reverse turning kick (usually takes me 2-3 attempts)
-3 boards back side kick (I can get 2 boards, 3 is pushing it.)
-2 boards turning kick (again, usually takes me 2-3 attempts)
-3 boards side kick, leg of choice (easy peasy, I want this one first in the test.)
I need to get any 3 of the above for the pretest. 4 for the grading.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got a sheet on 3rd dan requirements...newly changed...
Speed Break: Jump back kick (2 bds.)
Technique: 360 jump back blind folded (2 bds)
Power: Break 3 boards with each limb
Concrete: Women (1) any hand technique

Not so hard...hmmmmm...someone shoot me. TW

Latest Discussions