10 year old black belt

T

tigerstorm

I have always gone along with the idea of 16 a student could be promoted to black rank, but thats beside the point. My main question was along the lines of what happens to a student who has earned a jr. black and then becomes, whatever the age is 16 or 18, and is looking at being an adult. How do you take a rank away from them that you gave to them. Of course Im guessing that you dont, but then how do you tell them "well yeah you were higher than all these people but now your the same equivalant rank as they are". Im just curious how you go about the transition of (demoting)?
Tigerstorm

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. In our school a "child" may go through to 3rd Degree Jr. Black, 4th Jr. Black does not exist, at this point, they become a 1st Degree Black Belt which is an Adult Rank.

The kids belts look different, they all have a white stripe running through them. All the kids belts, including Jr. Yellow Belt are denoted by "Junior" so that you can tell that they are on a kids program. Their certificates are writen this way as well.

2. I think at 18, the "child" is converted to an adult belt rank no matter where they are in the curriculum.

3. A few weeks ago in Boy Scouts, we reviewed a child for his Star rank. It was basically an oral interview between us 3 adults and him. He was so well composed, so well spoken, so thoroughly knowledgeable that we thought he must be 16, but he was kind of small, so we thought he might be 14. He was 11. He was amazing. He could teach anything he had been tested on; knots, first aid, etc. So I think a child could be trained who could teach material for Black Belt.

4. But I could kick his but, I hope. He is Very Likely not physically mature enough to stop me unless he grew up in China or something and has been working 6hrs a day... for life and is some type of an acrobatic genius or something. I mean, it is possible that you could train a 10 year old to beat a grown adult but it is not likely. It would be hard for them to reach the head with an effective strike, and it would be hard for them to strike nerve centers or vital points with enough vigor to disable a 180lb adult. I am assuming of course that this kid is about 4 1/2 or 5 ft tall and weighs less than 100 lbs. Andre the Giant or Shaquille O'Neal might have been able to take out an adult when they were 10. But I don't know.

I hope this helps. I think you have to be 18 to get an Adult Black Belt in our School because it is an issue of physical (and even mental) maturity.
:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my advice would be:

make sure you're at a school where the teacher understands that its what's in your head that matters, not what's tied around your waist. As long as the teacher is more focused on knowledge than rank, you're probably okay.

S

Shinzu

i dont think 10 yr olds are mature enough to understand the responsibility of a black belt, but i do agree on the whole" jr. black belt method". it gives kids a goal to obtain, while still keeping them in line as far as where they stand vs. the adults.

the school i used to go to seemed to pump out black belts as young as 8 or 9, and there was no distinction between jr. and adult. this was a poor practice in my opinion.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the major distinction is their age. I don't see why a young person in the 8-12 year old class couldn't receive the title of black belt simply because of his age. If he has mastered the forms, and techniques required by his class then he should have the title. My school does not use the belt system so I'm a bit unfamiliar with it, however we do use a level system and it is not restricted. The tests are the same for all ages with the obvious exception to actual fighting and some technique allowance. Kids under 12 years old also have to start their "rank" over when goign to the adult class. I don't think anyone would expect a black level 29 year old and a black level 12 year old to be on the same level.

JMO

7sm

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the problem with very young black belts is this:

tying a black belt around someone's waist gives them a certain level of respect and authority. Others in the studio will look up to them. They need to be able to set an example, and they need to have a thorough understanding of not only the sets and techniques, but of the philosophies and theories behind them. Most children have trouble with this. Hence, the title of Junior black belt, usually a black belt with a white stripe down the middle, indicating that they still have much to learn, but a Jr. Black is an acknowledgement of the training and skill they have acquired thus far, and a reminder that they still have much to learn...

or...

at least, it should be.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

the problem with very young black belts is this:

tying a black belt around someone's waist gives them a certain level of respect and authority. Others in the studio will look up to them. They need to be able to set an example, and they need to have a thorough understanding of not only the sets and techniques, but of the philosophies and theories behind them. Most children have trouble with this. Hence, the title of Junior black belt, usually a black belt with a white stripe down the middle, indicating that they still have much to learn, but a Jr. Black is an acknowledgement of the training and skill they have acquired thus far, and a reminder that they still have much to learn...

or...

at least, it should be.

I could agree to that, being in a system with no belts I guess its hard for me to grasp the full reach of the situation. I don't see why a Jr BB or Black belt with a white stripe would or should be objectable, I would think it would be a good thing, but like I said, being in a system wihtout belts makes it hard for me to understand completely I guess.

7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My younger black belts behave like black belts, if they didn't I would take their belt back. I think it's really up to the instructor to insure quality of black belt no matter what age. I've got a couple of 12 year old black belts that could literally kick any other 12 year olds hiney but they behave with honour, respect and integrity. If they werent as serious as their adult counter parts I wouldnt have let them test for black belt in the first place.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We will test a person for Black Belt at sixteen if they have the ability and knowledge but not befor that. We require a mental awareness of many things that might be hard for a younger person to know about. Also I have to belive I can put my life in that persons hands.
Our belt test at that lvelis verry physical and the Sanchine is not done just once but a few times and we do test the strenght of it severly.
Personaly I never belived in the jr. ranking. A person either has the rank or they do not.
Shadow

J

JDenz

I like the Bjj belt system. You can't even get a blue until you are 16 =-)

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Should be a standard
But would kill wallet sise

No flame just fact.

><><><

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz

I like the Bjj belt system. You can't even get a blue until you are 16 =-)
I think Joe Moriera's ranking they have one or two belt ranks before blue for kids only. I believe Roy Harris may have something at his site about this. Have not been there in awhile. royharris.com
Bob:asian:

J

JDenz

Ya I have seen some schools that have yellow and orange for the kids. ANother thing that I hate is people that obviously are not very skillful gettting a belt because they have been at the studio so long.

Q

Qasim

Originally posted by 7starmantis

I could agree to that, being in a system with no belts I guess its hard for me to grasp the full reach of the situation. I don't see why a Jr BB or Black belt with a white stripe would or should be objectable, I would think it would be a good thing, but like I said, being in a system wihtout belts makes it hard for me to understand completely I guess.

7sm

Try this, would you want a ten year old making decisions for you just because he knew the rules but didn't have the life experience to go with it?

:shrug:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

My younger black belts behave like black belts, if they didn't I would take their belt back. I think it's really up to the instructor to insure quality of black belt no matter what age. I've got a couple of 12 year old black belts that could literally kick any other 12 year olds hiney but they behave with honour, respect and integrity. If they werent as serious as their adult counter parts I wouldnt have let them test for black belt in the first place.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

are they on par with other black belts of any age? do they have the same amount of knowledge as the adults? I think your stance on honour and integrity is excellent. I;ve seen too many schools that aren't that way.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser

We will test a person for Black Belt at sixteen if they have the ability and knowledge but not befor that. We require a mental awareness of many things that might be hard for a younger person to know about. Also I have to belive I can put my life in that persons hands.
Our belt test at that lvelis verry physical and the Sanchine is not done just once but a few times and we do test the strenght of it severly.
Personaly I never belived in the jr. ranking. A person either has the rank or they do not.
Shadow

I think the issue here is that an instructor who teaches children (and children do tend to be the lifeblood of any commercial studio, if you're trying to make a living), you have to have some way to acknowledge their hard work, while at the same time, reinforcing that they are not on par with the adults. Junior ranks are a good way to do this, especially if the belts look different.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace

><><><

If you were asking me, no I do not wear a sash. Some of the younger kids will wear a sash as appropriate to theri level, but we aren't even given that option. We have a level system simply for testing purposes, but no one really talks much about the levels. Basically all the levels prove is how long you have been there and how mnay forms you know. Most early forms are Wah Lum so that distinguishes it. Normally the longer the serious student studies the better they get, but there are those who train harder at their level than someone above them, but it generaly stays true.

7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya my child black belts can execute tecniques as well as if not better than my adult black belts, however their smaller bodies don't allow their techniques to be as powerful... but wow some of them hit hard for their size! As for knowledge yes they all need to know the same material for the written test in order to pass for black belt. BUT!! There are things I only teach people that are 18 and over, it has nothing to do with the TKD curriculum so the kids get everything they are supposed to but I don't feel comfortable teaching a child how to crush a mans throat....

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions