BJJ Black Belt earned by a 78 Year Old Man

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think this is awesome.

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0114-blackbelt-20120113,0,1768188.story

I posted about this on my BJJ blog this morning, but I just have to share this guy's story. As I said on my blog, Gene Pace earned his black belt in BJJ by being consistent. He trained twice a week and never missed a class.

He earned it by being fearless. When his instructor shows him a move, he “goes after that move.”

He earned it by being patient and he earned it by being humble. The general estimate for earning a black belt in BJJ is 10 years, which is already a very long time compared to most other styles of martial arts. He earned it in 15 years. This epitomizes for me what I’ve said before. I’d rather train for the rest of my life as a purple belt than get my black belt tomorrow and have to give BJJ up forever.

BJJ is a life long journey and a true life sport. Stories like this just make my day.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That reminds of a student in Taekwondo recieving his Black Belt in his 70's. It just shows that there is no age limit to start Martial Arts training, since age is just a number.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this story, Steve. It's very inspiring. I think about growing older and really would like to be like guys like this. I really love to know what he did to stay healthy...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

First of all that is fantastic!!!

Congratulations to Mr. Pace

My only concern when I here a story like this is if.... a level in any system is degrading?
their core set of values and skill set requirements needed for advancement!
By that I mean as long as an individual is good enough for the advancement I am all
for it.
However, if a system allows someone to advance who is not at a level then that
is a problem. In doing that the future of any system will diminish in the long run.
Now, I am not saying that the above story is like that as by all accounts from
the story he deserves his promotion. (I'm not there so I do not know nor can I judge
from this position) However, I have seen a recent trend in Brazilian Jiujitsu that is
reminiscent of how Tae Kwon Do and other systems changed over time in order to
be supported by their customer base. So on that level there is a level of disturbing
news that is concerning based on what I have personally witnessed over the last
several yearsin BJJ. BJJ is in my opinion one of the finest martial systems in the world.
Yet when money enters into the equation and people teach primarily to put food
on the table then issues can creep into any dynamic and innovative method. Rank
advancement in any system needs to be achieved on skill sets not merit. You either
are or you are not
. You either have it or you do not! Not advancement based on
time in a system or how dedicated you are. You have to have the skill sets!

This is one of the major issues affecting quality in the Martial Sciences! (though I fear the cat is out of the bag so to speak)

Hopefully other instructors are listening!

Promote on the merit of someone's skill sets!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is awesome.

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0114-blackbelt-20120113,0,1768188.story

I posted about this on my BJJ blog this morning, but I just have to share this guy's story. As I said on my blog, Gene Pace earned his black belt in BJJ by being consistent. He trained twice a week and never missed a class.

He earned it by being fearless. When his instructor shows him a move, he “goes after that move.”

He earned it by being patient and he earned it by being humble. The general estimate for earning a black belt in BJJ is 10 years, which is already a very long time compared to most other styles of martial arts. He earned it in 15 years. This epitomizes for me what I’ve said before. I’d rather train for the rest of my life as a purple belt than get my black belt tomorrow and have to give BJJ up forever.

BJJ is a life long journey and a true life sport. Stories like this just make my day.

AWESOME story Steve! Thanks for posting this! Its good to see things like this. It shows a man who wasn't concerned with a timeframe, but instead, just reaching the goal he had in mind, that being his BJJ BB. Good for him!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

My only concern when I here a story like this is if.... a level in any system is degrading?
their core set of values and skill set requirements needed for advancement!
By that I mean as long as an individual is good enough for the advancement I am all
for it.
I agree with you. But with the caveat that while the skill, knowledge, technique and experience must be at a certain level, it's only reasonable to allow for age. The article is clear that he has to be careful with whom he spars. But hell, at 42, I'm careful about who I roll with.

I'm pretty sure that at 78, he's not going to win a gold at the pan ams. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he's a charity promotion.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If he's demonstrated the skills, the knowledge, can apply those techniques in a manner properly, and if he's a positive influence on the school, then he's earned it.

While the competitive aspect of the rank might not be present (how many 78 year olds compete anyways?) he's certainly given back plenty to the school, whether it be by direct assistance to his juniors, or just by being one hell of a positive role model. Kudos to him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That so rocks.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you. But with the caveat that while the skill, knowledge, technique and experience must be at a certain level, it's only reasonable to allow for age. The article is clear that he has to be careful with whom he spars. But hell, at 42, I'm careful about who I roll with.

I'm pretty sure that at 78, he's not going to win a gold at the pan ams. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he's a charity promotion.

Absolutely Steve. One of my students is 85 and almost 86 and is a one of a kind person with quite a bit of skill. (former Navy pilot circa WWII) He is not to the instructor range yet though as his skill sets are not quite there. Will he make it I do not know but he has to have the skill sets. If he eventually gets them he will advance! I also agree totally that a 60,70 or 80+ man is going to train differently than a younger twenty or thirty year old person. I train differently than when I was in my teens, twenties, thirties, etc. I think it is awesome that he was promoted and a testiment to his will and determination. I just want everyone to promote based on skills and not longevity.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

First of all that is fantastic!!!

Congratulations to Mr. Pace

Rank advancement in any system needs to be achieved on skill sets not merit. Promote on the merit of someone's skill sets!

Wait a minute Brian. Skill sets vs. merit? Merit means "worth" or that you have actually earned something and haven't just been given it! I think you said it batter in the bolded part above.

Other than that I think we agree. However, I would not expect a 78 year-old to be physically equal to a 28 year-old with the same rank and skill sets any more than I would expect bantamweight boxer to compete with a heavyweight.

Mass

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Great story, I am real happy for him. Now he has something else to pass on to his grandchildren.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking as a 47-year old purple belt, I find this story particularly inspiring. It just reinforces the idea that I don't ever need to give up on training.

Arinai

White Belt
Reaction score
This man's determination is quite inspiring. Just goes to show that if you want to succeed in something, you just keep at it. Doesn't matter how old you are. :)

Latest Discussions