Women and Grappling

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how practical is grappling for women? it would seem as if the larger opponent would have an advantage...??

E

Elfan

Originally posted by Nightingale
how practical is grappling for women? it would seem as if the larger opponent would have an advantage...??

Just as practical as it is for men, no more, no less.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems to be the big thing that everybody says--Is the bigger person gonna have the advantage? If you look at Helio Gracie, who was a small man, he modified his tech. to work for him. Alot of times when I'm grappling with someone, they always try to out muscle me. I just had this happen to me the other day. The harder the other person works, the quicker he's going to wear down. Staying relaxed, controlling your breathing, and having good tech. is the key to winning against a larger person.

Now, if the larger person has those same qualities--- Well, BJJ is like a chess game. You need to think 4 moves ahead if you want to win.

As for if its good for a woman to learn? Yes! Most of the time, the attacker is going to be trying to take her to the ground, and having the skills to defend herself, get back to her feet and run and very important. Keep in mind, in the street, there are no rules, so an eye gouge, rake to the face, fish hook, biting, spitting, hitting the groin, etc. are all legal.

Mike

K

Kroy

Originally posted by MJS
That seems to be the big thing that everybody says--Is the bigger person gonna have the advantage? If you look at Helio Gracie, who was a small man, he modified his tech. to work for him. Alot of times when I'm grappling with someone, they always try to out muscle me. I just had this happen to me the other day. The harder the other person works, the quicker he's going to wear down. Staying relaxed, controlling your breathing, and having good tech. is the key to winning against a larger person.

Now, if the larger person has those same qualities--- Well, BJJ is like a chess game. You need to think 4 moves ahead if you want to win.

As for if its good for a woman to learn? Yes! Most of the time, the attacker is going to be trying to take her to the ground, and having the skills to defend herself, get back to her feet and run and very important. Keep in mind, in the street, there are no rules, so an eye gouge, rake to the face, fish hook, biting, spitting, hitting the groin, etc. are all legal.

Mike

I agree, just apply your Kenpo training to the grappling.

L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by MJS
As for if its good for a woman to learn? Yes! Most of the time, the attacker is going to be trying to take her to the ground, and having the skills to defend herself, get back to her feet and run and very important.

Also, since most of the time women are attacked by people they know, they are likely to already be in a "ground" situation, such as sitting on a couch or reclining on the floor. That means it's grappling right out the gate.

One of the local guys here is a brown belt in BJJ. He weighs maybe 150. I weigh 220 and have grappled part time for several years. In all of our matches he dominated me completely, putting me on my back and keeping me there with seemingly little effort or trouble, even though I applied a lot of weight and strength to the contest a few times. Can a woman do that? You bet.

WhiteBirch

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by lvwhitebir
Also, since most of the time women are attacked by people they know, they are likely to already be in a "ground" situation, such as sitting on a couch or reclining on the floor. That means it's grappling right out the gate.
WhiteBirch

Exactly, thus the reason it's an important SD/MA skill for women to learn. Consider also the "give" that couch cushions and bed mattresses have when weight is applied to them. Considerably more than the carpeted floor or padded mats of the dojos.
I've wondered if any instructors have thought of that and added the couch and matresses as additonal training area.

Practical for women you asked originally? Oh my yes, equally for men and women.

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
does a larger person have an advantage?

It all depends on the training and skills of both people. I've mentioned many times on here that I absolutely love to grapple. I'm barely 5 ft. 1in and am probably the shortest person, next to the kids in the studio. My biggest challenge is going against my instructor and maybe 1 or 2 other people in class. They all over tower me, ranging from 5 ft. 6 in to 6ft plus and definitely out weighing me. Do I always lose? Not rarely, except to Seig and that's cause he's learned my weaknesses, but if someone has me on the ground I can get out of many things and I'm a little wiggle worm on getting out of holds. So I would have to say that size on the ground isn't always an advantage cause sometimes larger people can't move as quick on the ground, not all but some, so therefore it can be a disadvantage for them

E

Elfan

Originally posted by FUZZYJ692000
It all depends on the training and skills of both people.

I disagree. The outcome of a confrontation will depend on the attitude, logic, basics, and fitness of the participants. Technical skill and training are only two of those categories.

Can skill make up for a physical disadvantage? Defiantly. But it doesn't make the disadvantage go away.

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
I disagree. The outcome of a confrontation will depend on the attitude, logic, basics, and fitness of the participants. Technical skill and training are only two of those categories.

Can skill make up for a physical disadvantage? Defiantly. But it doesn't make the disadvantage go away.

Point taken. I just figured not to go into grave detail as to other factors that come into play because the list can be a mile long. Going from a person's body size and even to the environment around them and whether they have the knowledge or wits to realize that certain objects around them can be used as tools to fend off a person who is bigger than them. I just find it hard to accept that just cause a person is bigger than I am that I'm at that big of an disadvantage. That person could be as dumb as a box of rocks and doesn't know his right fist from his left. There are not only disadvantages in size but there are also disadvantages as you mentioned in a person's attitude, logic, basics, and the list can go on and on. It's not just 1 thing:asian:

F

feintem

Skill and fitness is the biggest factor in grappling.If the skill and fitness are evenly matched I give it to the bigger one. If the bigger person relays on size and not the other two factors he/she is sure to loose to the fit and technical fighter.

Micheal

C

chinkoobake

Originally posted by FUZZYJ692000
I just find it hard to accept that just cause a person is bigger than I am that I'm at that big of an disadvantage.

Too bad. That's life.

J

JDenz

Ya it does suck but that is the way life is. Being big and being strong are definitly huge advantages.

C

chinkoobake

Originally posted by JDenz
Ya it does suck but that is the way life is. Being big and being strong are definitly huge advantages.

true

L

LiteBlu

"how practical is grappling for women? it would seem as if the larger opponent would have an advantage...??"

A rapist enters a womans guard. The woman chokes the rapist to death.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The postulation that "If two people of significantly different weight, size and strength go at it, and both have the same skill level, then the bigger and stronger wins." is only true if it is an open contest. If the bigger, stronger guy gets taken off guard, especially by underestimating their opponent, then they can lose even to a lesser skilled person. I have sparred with people with a great deal more skill than me, both grappling and kick/punch stuff, and beaten them simply because they took me too lightly the first time. By the time they figured out their mistake, it was to late for them. Of course, the next time, they beat me. However, in an attack, it will be a one time thing. There won't be a rematch that gives the would-be grappling expert-rapist another shot at a woman having now evaluated her grappling skills.

gusano

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you have two UNTRAINED combatants, most times the bigger, stronger, more aggresive person will win. If you are fighting a trained person, regardless of size, you will need to bring more than size, strength, and aggression to the table. If you have two people of equal skill level, then size/strength can DEFINATELY be an advantage. As for women, I believe grappling is the BEST self defense tool for them. Most attackers of women are would be rapists and the woman can defend herself with the man in her "guard" and every other position.