• 6th Dan

• 7th Dan

• 8th Dan

• 9th Dan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My Instructor, Kristy Shawky is a 6th Dan under William Shelton an 8th Dan Under GM Larry Wheeler 9th Dan.

thomm

White Belt
Reaction score
My Grandmaster is 9th dan. Grandmaster Il Kwon Kim. Here is a liitle information on him:

Grand Master Kim was born in Korea and started training at the age of 7. His love of the martial arts brought him to the United States where in 1967 he started the I. K. Kim Tae Kwon Do Centers. Grand Master Kim studied under Grand Master Byung-Jik Ro who studied under Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi. Ja Be Ryu is the style that has resulted from Grand Master Kim's over 50 years of experience. Even today, Grand Master Kim circulates throughout the different branches of his organization, ensuring that the highest standards of instruction are still being maintained.

My primary instructor is a 6th Dan

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my GM has been involved in TKD for over fifty years and when ask about his rank, he simply says I am a Black Belt. Now that is a true GM of the Arts.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of my instructors are now deceased so I consider them now to be masters beyond reproach.
Their ranks while alive where master or grandmaster but that matters not to much at this time or even then, as I studied with them for the knowledge they had not what their rank was.
Those that are still alive are at least masters with a life time of experience and knowledge

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sensei Annarino is a 9th Degree Black Belt under Don Madden, Ko Sutemi Karate Do Union. My trainer, Sensei Tom Pierce, is 4th Dan in Ko Sutemi and Black Belt in Tai Kung Fu.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised 15th Dan isn't an option. How are some of these people going to state their rank if 15th Dan isn't an option?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm curious about what your instructor's rank is. I just wonder what the average rank would be. Call it a spin off from the "what rank are you" thread we have every so often.
Grandmaster Kim is 6th dan KKW taekwondo, 9th dan kumdo and hapkido, Master Choi is 5th dan Moo duk kwan, 5th dan kundo, but the gentleman who instructs me regularly is Master Yeo, who is 4th dan KKW.

Daniel

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
My head instructor, Mr. Kurt Ottesen, is 6th Dan (ITF).

Personally, even though I've only been at this a couple of month, I think he's a fabulous instructor. And my son (who is an exceptionally polite person to begin with, and comes by it naturally) shows him more respect than just about anyone else (including me, most days ;)). I definitely picked the right school for me and my son.

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have several instructors that come to class on a regular basis. The main two are 3rd dan and 1st dan, and the others are 1st dan, 5th dan, and 7th dan.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! This guy must be something else. GM Park, Hae Man is a 10th Dan KKW (one of only 52....& most of those were awarded after death!) I love this art, sometimes.:)

Since posting this, I've found out that GM Park, Hae Man is a 9th Dan KKW, not 10th Dan. At this point (although there is talk of changing it) 10th Dan KKW is always posthumous.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Kim out of California was just given his 9th by the KKW and he is still a very great teacher of the Art of TKD.

irishwolf08

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mine's a 6th Dan, testing this summer for his 7th. His wife, also another teacher is testing for her 3rd Dan.

Latest Discussions