• 6th Dan

• 7th Dan

• 8th Dan

• 9th Dan

Results are only viewable after voting.

kittybreed

Green Belt
Reaction score
I trained with Grandmaster KJ Lee but I don't really look at a person's belt rank to tell the whole story. It seems there are so many advanced belt holders these days. Not everyone who has an advanced belt is a good teacher. I think teaching techniques matter and that it takes years to become proficient at teaching an art. Before I actually had a black belt I believed (and still do) that the belt is nothing and everything. Nothing because it is just a belt and everything because of the meaning behind it. I think Master Lee would agree with that as well and I probably learned that from him too!

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently I study under a 2 dan. But I have studied under an 8 dan master, a 6 dan master, a 5 dan master, and a 3 dan

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Listed in order of the schools I attended.

The first one is still my favorite.

1st. 9th degree ITF

Geting a ninth dan from the ITF is quite an accomplishment, IIRC, only seven men besides Gen. Choi were promoted to this rank before the General's death.

Pax,

Chris

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geting a ninth dan from the ITF is quite an accomplishment, IIRC, only seven men besides Gen. Choi were promoted to this rank before the General's death.

Pax,

Chris

I believe he meant that his first instructor was a ninth dan in the ITF - not that his instructor was the first ninth dan in the ITF.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe he meant that his first instructor was a ninth dan in the ITF - not that his instructor was the first ninth dan in the ITF.

That is how I also took his meaning. If I had thought otherwise I would've mentioned having Gen. Choi as his first Taekwon-Do instructor being a major accomplishment :D

My point was that the ITF (any of the factions, it seems) does not hand out senior dan ranks lightly. Hence my pointing out that only seven of them were awarded before the General died. Getting an ITF ninth dan is quite an accomplishment.

Pax,

Chris

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is how I also took his meaning. If I had thought otherwise I would've mentioned having Gen. Choi as his first Taekwon-Do instructor being a major accomplishment :D

My point was that the ITF (any of the factions, it seems) does not hand out senior dan ranks lightly. Hence my pointing out that only seven of them were awarded before the General died. Getting an ITF ninth dan is quite an accomplishment.

Pax,

Chris

Being as I'm a IV Dan in an IFT/USTF off-shoot, I'm quite aware of that - sorry if I misread your post. By the way - I believe we've chatted before - my user name is my initials - my real name is Karen Cohn. :wavey:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being as I'm a IV Dan in an IFT/USTF off-shoot, I'm quite aware of that - sorry if I misread your post.

No problem.Getting things across accurately on an internet BBS can be tough sometimes :)

By the way - I believe we've chatted before - my user name is my initials - my real name is Karen Cohn. :wavey:

Indubitably. Lurking on various boards keeps me from finishing my dissertation. Which is not necessarily as great as it may seem :)

Pax,

Chris

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well when I first started I trained under a 5th Dan Master and his assistant was a 4th Dan.
But now I am training under a 9th Dan Grandmaster.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor was a 2nd Dan working for Ralph Krause - Dana Carey, he dropped off the map when Ralph closed all his schools but one.

My second instructor is now a 9th Dan but was a 7th while I was there - Charles Sereff
I also have to give credit here to Fred Ackard who was a 4th now a 7th. I went to his class twice a week and only once a week to Master Sereff's.

My third instructor was a 2nd Degree in EPAK - David Hemingway

My fourth instructor is a 3rd Dan ITF - Joe Cooper

My current instructor is a 3rd Degree EPAK/ Certified instructor of VV/MR Russian Systema - Brad Scornavacco

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pardon me if I goof off here, but I just got home from practice and a few hours of teaching kids.

my instructor is a 6th degree - Master, has been doing it since he was 11 for over 20 years now, he, too hit a few waiting periods because of age restrictions. His instructor is a 7th, Sr Master, and I believe he has been at it longer then I am alive (OK, not quiet, he isn't that old)

As far as I know not even the founders of the ITA have reached the 9th degree yet.

Rank is relative, as some organizations are slower (or faster) to progress the rankings. A friend of mine tested for her first Black after 7 years of training, while I got mine a shade under 2 years, yet, while her Husband was a Master at 4th, I have to keep at it the same amount of years to get my 6th to be called Master....though I doubt I will still be walking, let alone kicking and jumping in 20 years ;)

Oh, and yes, come 4th degree gradings, a lot of things come into play for the promotion to the next rank: Clean uniforms (preferably brand new) sparring gear (also best right out of the bag) and things like conduct - even on the internet....it becomes a bit political at that level, but I guess it's not a right to advance anyhow.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
9th Dan Kukkiwon, because I've seen it. I also looked up his certification number on the Kukkiwon website and it was listed, unlike others who claimed to be but weren't.

Marchfly

White Belt
Reaction score
Halls Taekwondo where i train is owned by Martin Hall, 7th Dan.
My actual session instructors are both 5th Dan WTF.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
i have two instructors.

sensei scott casamassa is 7th dan

and

shihan chris casamassa is 8th or 9th dan. ;)

sorry its not percise

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Several teachers:
TKD 9th Dan Kukkiwon
HKD 7th Dan KHF
HKD 3rd Dan U.S.K.M.A.F.
HKD 3rd Dan KHF

Latest Discussions