• 8th Dan

• 9th Dan

Results are only viewable after voting.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious about what your instructor's rank is. I just wonder what the average rank would be. Call it a spin off from the "what rank are you" thread we have every so often.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have two instructors...I train with both of them directly (when I am a good student...its been a busy year!)

Instructor Number One:

Oh Do Kwan - 4th Dan, Sabum #520 -
promoted by Hyun Jung Myung 1974

ITF - 4th Dan, International Instructor Turtle Shell #66
Promoted by General Choi Hong Hi (personally) 1976
based on his Oh Do Kwan status.

Instructor Number Two:

Chung Do Kwan - 9th Dan

The irony is the first instructor was at one point senior to the latter. If both have trained continuously yet one has been outside the proper political circles (and knowing what we know about "honorary or maritortious" promotion in the upper ranks) leaves me just now asking a question...truly, how great is the distance between those five degrees?
In no way is that to take away from the credit of the 9th dan. I hold him in my heart as an uncle if not more based on his treatment of my family and the acceptance he openly granted me based on (his knowledge of my primary instructor i can only assume).

Regards,
Spooks

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor is 5th dan KKW.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ITF TKD 6th Dan, promoted by Master Choi Jung Hwa.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My daughters GM is 9th Dan KKW.

The primary instructor that teaches at the dojang we attend (our GM runs 4 in the area) is a 2nd Dan, as is my daughter.

My daughter's personal sport TKD coach is reportedly a 3rd Dan although neither student nor coach wear a dobak for the sport training so I have never been able to count stripes on his belt.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My daughters GM is 9th Dan KKW.

The primary instructor that teaches at the dojang we attend (our GM runs 4 in the area) is a 2nd Dan, as is my daughter.

My daughter's personal sport TKD coach is reportedly a 3rd Dan although neither student nor coach wear a dobak for the sport training so I have never been able to count stripes on his belt.

No offense but counting stripes on a belt means little now-a-days, last year well actually three years ago in Atlanta we had the honor:shrug:, to meet an 12th degree tkd'ist, I know they only go to tem but he had 12 stripes on his belt, what a goof off.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No offense but counting stripes on a belt means little now-a-days, last year well actually three years ago in Atlanta we had the honor:shrug:, to meet an 12th degree tkd'ist, I know they only go to tem but he had 12 stripes on his belt, what a goof off.

WHAAAAAT?!? A 12th dan?!? I'm no TKD newby, but that's a new one to me! I just didn't know. Man, I feel like a real dumbass now cuz I thought 10th dan was top dogg too!!! Oh well, I guess it's true then, the study and learning of the martial arts is infinite. You learn something new all the time in the MAs... :uhyeah:

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
9th Kukkiwon. I saw the certificates myself, and he described his Kukkiwon testing after he returned home.
BTW, late 40's is a bit young to be 7th Dan.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Sa Bum Nim is 5th in Kodokan Judo, 3rd in KMA.

Latest Discussions