What makes a Martial Arts System Practical for Physical Self-Defense?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So why a martial arts forum?
would you not be better on a Cycling/running forum?
Of course you can write where you like but why come on a forum which is not suited to you or your training goals and just give negative criticism all the time?
because among cycling , football, running chess and pool i do karate.

my training has help my karate no end, coz its not boxing

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
another point is i have nothing against older People what ever their Goals / sexuel Orientation. This Guy is 60 & trains hard with weights & Cycles 100s of miles.
he still trains legs & upper body. OK a short range Leg extension; Trap Bar deadlifts; stiff legged Deadlifts . He is fit & has not bad legs. He´s also a Gay man. His videos are good. Movement is still King !!

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most call it a Trap Bar. he had a few injuries but still found a way to train for his cyling. Isometrics will not cut it. also he has a video how he shortens the range of motion on leg extensions.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
my flexability is,
yeah sitting shortens your muscles. can twist it anyway you like but you need real leg training with built in stretches... stiff legged deads or watch the guy aboves videos. trying to help you bro

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most call it a Trap Bar. he had a few injuries but still found a way to train for his cyling. Isometrics will not cut it. also he has a video how he shortens the range of motion on leg extensions.
but same again, there are different techniques for different outcome, last time i got into cycling, i was intrested in power for speed , this time its not of the least concern to me, as the goal is to go slowly over an extended distance on the flat, day after day, that said, it is pumping my quads up a bit, that would be the extra glucose stored in the muscle

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah sitting shortens your muscles. can twist it anyway you like but you need real leg training with built in stretches... stiff legged deads or watch the guy aboves videos. trying to help you bro
, i dont really sit anymore, it more of a reclined postion with my feet up,

D

Deleted member 39746

Latosa does teach drills sitting try these mate

So there you go. can train without your legs :smuggrin:

That just made me think back to the ameridotae self defence against somone in a wheel chair video. Which despite being for comedic value, highlights some of the difficultues in fighting if you are wheel chair bound.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That just made me think back to the ameridotae self defence against somone in a wheel chair video. Which despite being for comedic value, highlights some of the difficultues in fighting if you are wheel chair bound.
I remember seeing a film about a guy who had some kind of muscle wasting disease & was on crutches. He formed his own way of fighting no joke.
@ 2:46

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you claim to be a world-class sprinter. You must be an amazing specimen. :D
i dont know about exceptional, ussual perhaps, i do seem to be considerably fitter than most of the 60 year olds i know, how that breaks in to a larger population sample is difficult to say.

to be clear the world record for 61 onwards is patheticaly slow, by 20 year old standards, i wouldnt get in the team, but fortunately im not competing with them and its a world record, im reasonably sure, that what makes me unusual is the fact im training to do it, rather than an awful lot of other people in ther 60s couldnt do like wise, if they stopped making excuses and go train for 5 years, , which probebly means they will never catch me unless they started 5 years ago, or cthey are infact exceptional

nb i didnt know i was training for sprinting when i started, it just worked out that way as my expectation increased

Last edited:

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
to be clear the world record for 61 onwards
you also said you are a world breaking cyclist ? 300 miles was it not ? or are you training for that?
getting confused as you seem to be mentioning a lot of world records.:rolleyes:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you also said you are a world breaking cyclist ? 300 miles was it not ? or are you training for that?
getting confused as you seem to be mentioning a lot of world records.:rolleyes:
no thats a holiday, im not aware there is a world record for holidays?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
o_O er...ok mate
im planning to cycle the canal net work down the welsh border, to bath then over to London, its circa 300 miles, i havent actualy counted more accuratly than that,

but im doing it coz i think il enjoy it, rather than a fitness goal, but its become a fitness goal to be able to do it, i couldnt get 5 miles a few months back, now the 30 miles aday i want to do, is there, but i cant do it every day yet,

to be honest i could walk it with ease at 20 miles a day, but im committed to cyling it now, i may end up doing alternate days, walking and cycling, if i cant get the freqency up for April

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im planning to cycle the canal net work down the welsh border, to bath then over to London, its circa 300 miles, i havent actualy counted more accuratly than that,

but im doing it coz i think il enjoy it, rather than a fitness goal, but its become a fitness goal to be able to do it, i couldnt get 5 miles a few months back, now the 30 miles aday i want to do, is there, but i cant do it every day yet,

to be honest i could walk it with ease at 20 miles a day, but im committed to cyling it now, i may end up doing alternate days, walking and cycling, if i cant get the freqency up for April

But you say you can train in 5 minutes. so now you will cycle 300 miles?
2021-01-04.png

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you say you can train in 5 minutes. so now you will cycle 300 miles?View attachment 23508
no mate i distinctly said, training to cycle for 5 hours, takes 5 hours training, learnig to sprint for 12 seconds takes eer 12 second
being extremly fit for 5 minetes takes 5 minetes
being able to play football for an hour, takes an hour

chess however is the exception, it takes far longer than 40 mins to be able to play well for 40 m

let me know if your having trouble with the concept and il try to simplify it a bit more

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
View attachment 23507
no mate i distinctly said, training to cycle for 5 hours, takes 5 hours training, learnig to sprint for 12 seconds takes eer 12 second
being extremly fit for 5 minetes takes 5 minetes
beibg able toplay football for an hour, takes an hour

chess however is the exception, ut takes far longer than 40 mins to be able to pkkay well for 40

let me know if your having trouble with the concept and il try to simplify it a bit more
9-Putin-Laughing-Gif.gif

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yeah sitting shortens your muscles.
I'm in IT and this is my biggest challenge since taking my current Job. I do a lot of sitting so now I have to dedicate more stretching than previously before. My flexibility has never been as bad as it's been in the last 2 years

Latest Discussions