What makes a Martial Arts System Practical for Physical Self-Defense?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow. That is some incredible video. Lioness never had a chance against that crowd.
Which shows another thing about self-defense. 1 vs 1 I'm the winner. 1 vs 4. It's not going to be an easy day. Especially if a more skilled buffalo shows up.

1 vs 4 I'm find if the 4 all suck. But all it takes is for an extra guy to come in that is on my skill level, so now i have to fight that guy plus the other 3 who will be taking the cheap shots.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
one very quickly becomes the other if you get in the way, they will attack you, then its sd defence again
Yep that's always a possibility and in some cases the person who you were trying to help is the one that starts attacking you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which shows another thing about self-defense. 1 vs 1 I'm the winner. 1 vs 4. It's not going to be an easy day. Especially if a more skilled buffalo shows up.

1 vs 4 I'm find if the 4 all suck. But all it takes is for an extra guy to come in that is on my skill level, so now i have to fight that guy plus the other 3 who will be taking the cheap shots.
Agree. If there is no way out of the 1 vs 4 scenario it solidifies the idea to really, really hurt the first guy; to make your point and make the other three give pause. Since I can't run very fast any more (at all really) it would be my only choice.
Back in the day I was very certain that I could deal with most anyone in one of three ways. Play with them, embarrass them, or hurt them. That mindset has been gone for some time now. But I feel the premise is sound for most good, seasoned fighters who are in their peak. This does not include the occasional bar fight gang who just plain likes fighting.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree. If there is no way out of the 1 vs 4 scenario it solidifies the idea to really, really hurt the first guy; to make your point and make the other three give pause. Since I can't run very fast any more (at all really) it would be my only choice.
Back in the day I was very certain that I could deal with most anyone in one of three ways. Play with them, embarrass them, or hurt them. That mindset has been gone for some time now. But I feel the premise is sound for most good, seasoned fighters who are in their peak. This does not include the occasional bar fight gang who just plain likes fighting.
Yeah I'm at the age where I can run away fast, I just know know if it's faster than the guy that's chasing me. So it boils down to can I run away fast enough and far enough for the other person to give up chase. Or will the run take more energy out of me than the person chasing me. The self-defense lesson I teach with that is that I don't always have to outrun my attacker if I can keep distance. If I'm one side of a car and he's on the other then it will be a long time before he catches me. If I can keep distance then I may not have to run. I can just travel down the street for a long way without running just as long as I can keep my distance from my attacker.

Where I live, there are stores and sometimes there's traffic. If I can put traffic in between me and my attacker then the better. There are just other ways that may be more practical

I remember seeing one video where a man was being attacked with a knife. He ran away. The attacker was faster and stabbed him in the back then continued to stab the victim until he died. That's was the same day that my perspective on "running away" always being the answer changed. Now I put it into context. So now I say Runaway if.....you can do A or do B

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it most certainly can be done, it just not that common, it seems.

many years ago a dojo i was at devoted around a half of the run time to fitness, the net result was after three months i was literally fighting fit,

the question was what should a self defence system have and my answer is a high level of fitness component,

if your selling a sd system that doesnt include that your taking money under false pretences, unless you at least tell them that it of very questionable value unless they take up the slack in their own time
If folks attend enough, both can be done. If folks are in for 2 hours a week, not so much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you asked if it was the,systems responcibility to deliver fitness and that this woulnt leave enouhh time for tecnque, plainly thats you priortising one over the other
Putting priority on one over the other. Not excluding one. It’s not a binary thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes a Martial Arts System Practical for Physical Self-Defense?

Which MA system will you train?

When someone tries to rape your wife, your

1. 1st MA system teacher tells you that you need to de-escalate, and run away.
2. 2nd MA system teacher tells you that you need to beat up that guy so his own mother won't be able to recognize him.

I'll choice 2 over 1.
That’s a false dichotomy. And I think you know it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there also the ussue, that fitness trainibg doesnt have to take a long time to be effective, if its better or worse than a longer time is up for debate, but its a lot better than skipping it entirly.

from an sd point if veiw, a capability to deliver,5 minetes of maximal effort will be very useful, that actually only takes 5 minets of training time to achieve, you just do more and more in the 5 mins till your at peak fitness
You seem to think that’s a refutation of something I said.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If folks attend enough, both can be done. If folks are in for 2 hours a week, not so much.
it can if you just do 5 mins of high intensity,

why do you belive that technique should have a higher priority than fitness in an sd system,
.im not sayibg your wrong( though you frequently are and there no reason to supect this is different) just wondering if you put any sort of logic to the issue

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id be intrested in you explaing the biology of how you think that would help, i know its a done thing, but it seems like no one has ever asked why?

why dont sprinters run marathons, it must help, mustnt it?
I’ll bet a sprinter does a lot of sprints.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can if you just do 5 mins of high intensity,

why do you belive that technique should have a higher priority than fitness in an sd system,
.im not sayibg your wrong( though you frequently are and there no reason to supect this is different) just wondering if you put any sort of logic to the issue
5 mins of high intensity work twice a week isn’t enough to make major fitness gains. It will improve longevity and make some fitness gains, but it takes more time for big improvement.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
suprisingly very few in my program, certainly not 300, 3,4,5 6,7 that sort of frequency on a daily basis and thats not every day
And you claim to be a world-class sprinter. You must be an amazing specimen. :D

Latest Discussions