What makes a Martial Arts System Practical for Physical Self-Defense?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would like to make it clear one more time. Personal challenge is not life and death fight.

This is fun.

A: What can you do it I punch on your head?
B: Come and try me.

This is not fun.

A: What can you do if I stab a knife into your heart?
B: If you come with your knife, I'll meet you with my Colt 45.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you actualky tried that, in the intrsst of science ive just punched the wall with the fastest movement, it hurt ny hand and has left a depresion in the plaster, now you try it
Then you lack control. I can easily punch a finger wall (person, bag, makiwara) lightly with a high-speed punch. I have done it many times with students to demonstrate exactly this point.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then you lack control. I can easily punch a finger wall (person, bag, makiwara) lightly with a high-speed punch. I have done it many times with students to demonstrate exactly this point.
well your either very slow, your not moving at hi,gh speed or more likely you decelerating it before contact

as its one of those it doesnt even slightly disprove the science, unless of course you have a magic hand,, in which case contact the randi foundation and claim you priz

ive,smashed my knuckles at high
h speed many many time whilst working on cars and it definely hurts, a lot e

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well your either very slow, your not moving at hi,gh speed or more likely you decelerating it before contact

as its one of those it doesnt even slightly disprove the science, unless of course you have a magic hand,, in which case contact the randi foundation and claim you priz

ive,smashed my knuckles at high
h speed many many time whilst working on cars and it definely hurts, a lot e
Ah, I think you're starting to get closer to "getting it". Yes, the high-speed tap has deceleration at the end. That's how it works. But the fact that I can get it there at that speed does NOT mean I could also have delivered a high-quality punch to that target. The easiest way to make that tap work is to set up a bit further from the wall than you'd like for a punch. The punch then naturally decelerates some at the end, because the target is out of practical range. But I can still land that tap.

So go ahead and claim you're proving something with science. You misuse that a lot when you just feel the need to be argumentative and don't actually have a point.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, I think you're starting to get closer to "getting it". Yes, the high-speed tap has deceleration at the end. That's how it works. But the fact that I can get it there at that speed does NOT mean I could also have delivered a high-quality punch to that target. The easiest way to make that tap work is to set up a bit further from the wall than you'd like for a punch. The punch then naturally decelerates some at the end, because the target is out of practical range. But I can still land that tap.

So go ahead and claim you're proving something with science. You misuse that a lot when you just feel the need to be argumentative and don't actually have a point.
i did say if yiu use punch mechanics, and a high speed tap that has deceleration at the end it not a high speed tap, by definition as it going at a low(er) speed ????? and why would you take any time at all practising a low energy tap?

your the one that constantly takes issue with scientific principals that have been estabished since the acient greeks, were as this one is only a couple of hundred years old, so your improving, if we can just drag you into the 19th century !

i cant be bother posting the formular for kinetic energy again, youl only say its wrong

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The easiest way to make that tap work is to set up a bit further from the wall than you'd like for a punch
This is how I teach how to align a punch. I have students punch walls (it doesn't matter, it can be a brick wall. The harder the better). Whatever part of the fist has to connect to the wall determines how far we need to stand away from the wall. I have them space the punch so that the punch can only tap the wall. Then I tell them to punch the wall so that the knuckle / part of the fist taps the wall. This allows them to punch faster and sometimes at full speed because the wall is at the end of the punch. Where the punch naturally stops and returns to chamber.

We are still mindful of the wall because slight changes in body posture can either increase or decrease the distance. But when we punch all you hear are knuckles tapping the wall and and occasionally a slightly harder caused by someone's structure /posture breaking down.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did say if yiu use punch mechanics, and a high speed tap that has deceleration at the end it not a high speed tap, by definition as it going at a low(er) speed ????? and why would you take any time at all practising a low energy tap?
You're arguing about the speed at impact, rather than the time it takes to get to target. The latter is the point. And you're well aware of that. You're just arguing to argue.

your the one that constantly takes issue with scientific principals that have been estabished since the acient greeks, were as this one is only a couple of hundred years old, so your improving, if we can just drag you into the 19th century !

i cant be bother posting the formular for kinetic energy again, youl only say its wrong
I'm the one who takes issue with you misapplying them, or using semantics to argue that common usage (which faciltates communication) is incorrect because it's not the same as the scientific usage. Which is just babble.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're arguing about the speed at impact, rather than the time it takes to get to target. The latter is the point. And you're well aware of that. You're just arguing to argue.

I'm the one who takes issue with you misapplying them, or using semantics to argue that common usage (which faciltates communication) is incorrect because it's not the same as the scientific usage. Which is just babble.
if you slowing it down it takes a longer time to get to the target, so how ever you want to twist it its still not fast and so not energetic,

just the weight of the human hand, never mind the attached arm is roughly the equivently of soneone throwing a pound weight at you, it will hurt ,move it faster and it will hurt a lot more

coz science

Last edited:

Latest Discussions