What makes a Martial Arts System Practical for Physical Self-Defense?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
5 mins of high intensity work twice a week isn’t enough to make major fitness gains. It will improve longevity and make some fitness gains, but it takes more time for big improvement.
no it doesnt, thats largley my program, but its three times a week, the gains made in a few months are mind boggling,

its a fairly simple concept if you want to be fit for 5 mins, train for 6

im not takkibg about some jumping up and down hiit programe im talk about muscular max effort

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you claim to be a world-class sprinter. You must be an amazing specimen. :D
thats the program, i didnt write it, a conditioning coach did, if your doing max effort you can only do a few, thats biology

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
5 mins of high intensity work twice a week isn’t enough to make major fitness gains. It will improve longevity and make some fitness gains, but it takes more time for big improvement.
here try this and tell ne its not enough

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
here try this and tell ne its not enough

Yeah...mike got his power doing a tricep workout like that ..:D
Hammer strength lat pull downs, Barbell squats for his lower leg work.
Ever heard the saying a boxer is finished when his legs are gone??

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i remember when we went running in tracksuits for Boxing training we wore army boots. Running through snow on the Tank Ranges.
Running up & down fire escape stairs with a sandbag on your shoulders. Trust me you have to build lower body strength & endurance as a Boxer.
One trainer said; Work F@cking hard now or you´ll get hurt in the ring.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah...mike got his power doing a tricep workout like that ..:D
Hammer strength lat pull downs, Barbell squats for his lower leg work.
Ever heard the saying a boxer is finished when his legs are gone??

but im not a boxer, i have no intent of going 12 rounds with any one, ever, so my training need are some what different to mikes,and thats one example of a short but brutal exercise, you can do the same for your legs if you feel the need

D

Deleted member 39746

What drop bear wrote, but as i am not in thos strictly for self defence, just apply the terms of the ability to express it on somone who is violently resisting, in a effcient manner. (and obviously in non sterile conditions)

Sounds dodgy if you write it that way and in neutral tones. :p

As for how to make such a system, i think everyone sbeen arguing about that since they found out somone else did it diffrently.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
but im not a boxer, i have no intent of going 12 rounds with any one, ever, so my training need are some what different to mikes,and thats one example of a short but brutal exercise, you can do the same for your legs if you feel the need
OK if you don´t get it this is a fighting forum. Boxing is fighting.
Every sprinter i have ever met does intensive lower body work. Squats, box Squats; Leg press, Lunges; step ups for Quads, Hammies, Hip Flexors.
Going round in circles. you just do not listen.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i remember when we went running in tracksuits for Boxing training we wore army boots. Running through snow on the Tank Ranges.
Running up & down fire escape stairs with a sandbag on your shoulders. Trust me you have to build lower body strength & endurance as a Boxer.
One trainer said; Work F@cking hard now or you´ll get hurt in the ring.
the army is generaly quite happy to kill you, so maybe not the best training regime,running in army boots all that sensible,particulaly when your getting on a bit

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the army is generaly quite happy to kill you, so maybe not the best training regime,running in army boots all that sensible,particulaly when your getting on a bit

I am talking about some years back. Granted it was a bit rough & primitive by todays standards but we got fit. Special Diet. Loads & Loads of sparring.
I do not think you have ever seriously trained hard or in any fighting system.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK if you don´t get it this is a fighting forum. Boxing is fighting.
Every sprinter i have ever met does intensive lower body work. Squats, box Squats; Leg press, Lunges; step ups for Quads, Hammies, Hip Flexors.
Going round in circles. you just do not listen.
i know boxing is fighting, but its not my intent, to box, certainly not someone like iron mike,

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i know boxing is fighting, but its not my intent, to box, certainly not someone like iron mike,
Used to have Older Guys like you on Bodybuilding forums. They hung around but never trained themselves. :D
Won´t say what they were called as i do not really know the rules on here.:smuggrin:

D

Deleted member 39746

There are some things you shouldnt model a training regime after, PT is fine to do it from the army. Actually since they are cautious about short term injurues etc it might be safer.

Although, you shouldnt model training after a selection test, they arent meant to be for training and would lead to a lot of pain. Eg SF selection tests are not training they are selection tests and i dont belive many do them again unless its in reality. Plus given they have high drop out rates it wouldnt benefit you at all.

How ever with that being said, using the militaries fitness entry requirements as a goal is a fairly decent thing to do and strive for. If you dont have a job that needs any, you can just take that from a job that does. (Police, Fire, Military etc) They generally give sound advise to achive the goals and how to get to the standard of entry on websites as well.

I am talking about some years back. Granted it was a bit rough & primitive by todays standards but we got fit. Special Diet. Loads & Loads of sparring.

Funny thing, there is a old P company doccumentary i found and i think like half of them were on painkillers for some duration of it. (some could have been on it for duration) this was pre 2000, i think peole may have skimmed around that fact. Oh take that back, it was anti inflamitories as they had foot swelling etc. Now good luck training that, then working manual labour. :p

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Funny thing, there is a old P company doccumentary i found and i think like half of them were on painkillers for some duration of it. (some could have been on it for duration) this was pre 2000, i think peole may have skimmed around that fact. Oh take that back, it was anti inflamitories as they had foot swelling etc. Now good luck training that, then working manual labour.

Yes you used to give you brufen(as we called it) or Ibuprofen ( was called something like that).

Actually shin splints were more common running in Boots. however if you train like he´s saying "Heavy duty" style max intensity on few sets/ Reps you can get injured too. Not that he´s really doing Heavy Duty style weight workouts ala Mike Mentzer.
Some of the Boot camp training was very popular.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

there are different trainibg mythologies for different sports and different times in your life, not as you seem to think, just one .

when i was in my 20s i did open competition , that was very different training than i do now, for a good reason, the demands were completly different,

but i train hard, just not long, as doing both is impossible certainly at my age, lm 61 with the body of a reasonable fit 30 year old, that was not so when i was 51 and it didnt happen by accident .

my training has more to do with holding back the years, than gettibg ready for a boxing match, that will never happen

and ive no intrest at all in developing muscle, beyond that which happens by increasing performance

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
there are different trainibg mythologies for different sports and different times in your life, not as you seem to think, just one .

when i was in my 20s i did open competition , that was very different training than i do now, for a good reason, the demands were completly different,

but i train hard, just not long, as doing both is impossible certainly at my age, lm 61 with the body of a reasonable fit 30 year old, that was not so when i was 51 and it didnt happen by accident .

my training has more to do with holding back the years, than gettibg ready for a boxing match, that will never happen
So why a martial arts forum?
would you not be better on a Cycling/running forum?
Of course you can write where you like but why come on a forum which is not suited to you or your training goals and just give negative criticism all the time?