TKD and Everyone Else

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not believe any of you have the real beer, since you are certified through a beer association which offers beer that is "the suckage". I will remain skeptical until you actually buy me this beer, and taste it for myself.

Um... well... yeah... hes right... me too :cheers:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Errant if I am ever around you and finally met you, I will buy you more than one.

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This could end in tragedy.

By tragedy, I mean complete awesomeness.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not believe any of you have the real beer, since you are certified through a beer association which offers beer that is "the suckage". I will remain skeptical until you actually buy me this beer, and taste it for myself.

Errant, in my pub, the owner/operator (whose lineage includes years of training at a major regional brewer in southern England) practices strictly 'old-school', street-effective brewing: nothing but malt, top-fermenting yeast, barley, and righteous hops, cask-conditioned served by real draught&#8212;drawn by air pressure via an English handpub&#8212;and once a week, a firkin-conditioned beer is opened up and served by gravity pure and simple until it's all gone. The hop bouquet from a pint of that is a religious experience all on its own. You come through Columbus at one point and you'll be more than welcome to be our guest at a representative training session there&#8212;and attendance is usually excellent! :D

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're gonna be in Columbus this weekend? Damn, I'm going to be back in NY on family business from Tuesday till Sunday. How long you going to be in town? Because they always have something on cask, even though the firkin's just on Fridays.

Sunday evening will still be doable, if you're going to be here for a few days...? Let me know....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Errant, in my pub, the owner/operator (whose lineage includes years of training at a major regional brewer in southern England) practices strictly 'old-school', street-effective brewing: nothing but malt, top-fermenting yeast, barley, and righteous hops, cask-conditioned served by real draught—drawn by air pressure via an English handpub—and once a week, a firkin-conditioned beer is opened up and served by gravity pure and simple until it's all gone. The hop bouquet from a pint of that is a religious experience all on its own. You come through Columbus at one point and you'll be more than welcome to be our guest at a representative training session there—and attendance is usually excellent! :D

Dang, and me stuck in Maryland.:(

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang, and me stuck in Maryland.:(

I gotta say, this is one of the few things in which Columbus is genuinely world-class. I've sampled the offerings, shall we say, in dozens of Real Ale pubs all over the UK, and the beer at Barley's can more than hold its own with the best of 'em (same style, but like a lot of US versions of that bitter ales stlyle, I've found, amplified and given extra complexity over the English original).

But you know, CT, Ahiya and Maryland aren't that far apart. If you ever find yourself on the road traveling to points west and want to spend an hour or two exploring the glories of the hop (it's a bad idea to travel when you're uncomfortably thirsty, I've found :D) lemme know.

A pint or two of excellent, well-balanced ale puts the whole TKD/everyone else question in perspective, I think. It helps to understand that this is in a sense on of those 'problems' that will take care of themselves. Eventually, the spotlight that TKD has 'enjoyed' will move off elsewhere, the art will split more definitively into a purely sport/acrobatic spectacle side and a smaller, but tightly knit SD side, and someone else's art will be the one getting all the flack. Isn't that how it's always been in since the TMAs hit these shores?

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score

"The suckage" is at the heart of what's wrong with beer today. Over the last couple decades there has been such a move afoot to ignore traditional beer and instead focus on the pure competition aspects of beer.

But the truth is that probably the majority of us are not in it for the competition and consider the non-sporting side of beer to be the real beer. I'm seeing a growing population of beerists who are increasingly dissatisfied with the directions in which their beloved art is being forced. A grassroots movement is abrewin'.

Sure, competition beers can be really impressive with their fresh-ground orange peel, razor clam extract, and Jamaican Blue Mountain barley, but that's just not the kind of beer that most of us desire for a long-term relationship. They're fancy things just to wow the spectators and armchair beer nuts. But void of soul and purpose.

This competition focus tramples over what I love and commercializes the rest.

But perhaps its days are numbered. I think its possible that in just a few years, the promoters will discover how hollow their support actually is and collapse.

We've already seen it start to happen. After for a long time being the main sanctioning body for beer competitions in the U.S., the Association of Brewers (creators of the Great American Beer Festival, etc.) is just a shell of its former self and has retreated back to being little more than a post office box in that beer deadzone known as "Colorado".

Beer is not about regulations, money, and politics. But competition is. In the 90s, the American Homebrewers Association parted ways with the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) and led to there being two separate organizations for the accreditation for amateur competition with separate rules and guidelines. It also led many to conclude that those organizations had forgotten about beer and were just in it to make money.

For years there have been rumors of possible reunification, but those who promote the competition side don't want to share and those who prefer non-sporting beer don't want to support anything that might advance the competition end.

(Y'all know I'm kidding, right?)
Dan

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it me, or has this thread... uh... wandered?

Not that I'm complaining. I love dealing with people with a good sense of humour. And you all definitely qualify.

At least, I think you do. I'm not actually certified to judge your qualifications. ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it me, or has this thread... uh... wandered?

Not that I'm complaining. I love dealing with people with a good sense of humour. And you all definitely qualify.

At least, I think you do. I'm not actually certified to judge your qualifications. ;)

Yea but it is all in fun and I believe the meat of the thread ranit course and then the beer came in and we know what that does.

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You're gonna be in Columbus this weekend? Damn, I'm going to be back in NY on family business from Tuesday till Sunday. How long you going to be in town? Because they always have something on cask, even though the firkin's just on Fridays.

Sunday evening will still be doable, if you're going to be here for a few days...? Let me know....

Nah, just Thurs-Sunday morning.

Latest Discussions