BJJ vs TKD...yep, let's kick the dead horse

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
your son did well.

i am un-easy with kids that age doing grappling, but he did very well.

I was at first but after watching his classes, his instructors are very close by. I believe the ratio is typically 1 instructor for every 5-6 kids. When they roll, there is always 1 instructor for every 2 pairs or maybe 3 at the most. Obviously, the older and more experienced kids usually require less supervision.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So how many times has this horse been beaten?

As a TKDer and a Judoka, I see that there is a reason to cross train in a grappling style and a striking style. But neither is superior to the other.

As for Judokas not being good at groundwork, maybe some of you have never been to a judo tourney. I'd say 7 times out of ten, a judo match ends with a submission, be it an armbar, leg lock, or a choke. I have never met a judoka that can do newaza.

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a TKDer and a Judoka, I see that there is a reason to cross train in a grappling style and a striking style. But neither is superior to the other.

I agree. As a child, I trained in Chinese Kung Fu and loved it. I only stopped when my parents stopped paying. Now my 7 year old son trains in Tai Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and Wrestling. People ask why he does all three and it's simple...he asked me if he could. I think it will just make him appreciate all martial arts and not just one. In fact, I never really considered him training in TKD and BJJ/Wrestling so he will be good on the ground and in striking...it just happened this way. I actually credit his TKD school for exposing him to Jiu Jitsu because they occasionally taught some Jiu Jitsu in his classes. A true martial artist should respect all martial arts. If not, it would be like a pianist saying that the trumpet is not a true instrument...which makes no sense.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As for Judokas not being good at groundwork, maybe some of you have never been to a judo tourney. I'd say 7 times out of ten, a judo match ends with a submission, be it an armbar, leg lock, or a choke. I have never met a judoka that can do newaza.[/quote]

??? I know several who can!

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score

As for Judokas not being good at groundwork, maybe some of you have never been to a judo tourney. I'd say 7 times out of ten, a judo match ends with a submission, be it an armbar, leg lock, or a choke. I have never met a judoka that can do newaza.[/quote]

??? I know several who can!

Sorry, that is my lack of typing skills. It should have said can't.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am predominately a grappler. However, knowing the strikers game is also paramout in combat. Even if you don't prefer to use it, I.E. Kicking......well at least you know what to look for and how to defend against it.

I say train both and be happy. Oh yeah "It's only gay if you look at them with lust while making them submit."

Latest Discussions