TKD and Everyone Else

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by ellies, May 19, 2008.

1. GlassJaw

GlassJaw Orange Belt

Indeed. Although there are some good soft styles out there, I prefer a beer that does not avoid confrontation.

I see that you're in Colorado Springs. I must apologize for my earlier post in which I labeled the state of Colorado as a "beer deadzone".

It was an inconsiderate and careless comment on my part, and I am truly sorry.

I assure you, I really meant just the Denver area.:)
    (Never actually been there. Going next week, though. Is it true that they use beer as a substitute for atmospheric oxygen? That's a skill I should learn.)

Dan

2. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Abolutely!!

Daniel

3. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Rockville bordering on Gaithersburg.

Daniel

4. Windsinger

Windsinger Green Belt

Beer... :p
    Sake! :drink2tha

5. exile

exile To him unconquered.

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Excellent—keep us in mind, yes? :)

Ah, but if you'd ever had a pint of Scott Francis' Centenial IPA right out of the firkin, you wouldn't say that about beer! :wink1:

6. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I'm in Denver, and I can state categorically that you have us confused with the People's Republic of Boulder! :)

7. GlassJaw

GlassJaw Orange Belt

Hehee, could be. I said "Denver area" in order to encompass both Boulder (home of Brewers Association) and Golden (home of Coors).

Anything of interest TKD-wise in Denver that I should try to check out while I'm there next week? (No, I have no clue what I mean by that. . .It would just be a bummer to not discover until after my return that the city is home to, I dunno, the "North American TKD History Museum and Grotesque Injury Gallery".)

Dan

8. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Hmm... no events coming up that I'm aware of, sorry. But here are some Denver area classes you could check out if you want to; tell them I sent you or they won't know how you found their class or why you're visiting.

9. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Thanks again for coming to play! I hope you had a good time - my students really enjoyed having a visitor (especially one who, unlike half the class, is not injured).

Here's the picture:

Attached Files:

10. FearlessFreep

FearlessFreep Senior Master

Well...stop injuring them...

11. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I am not the one who injured them... one put his foot down wrong at another instructor's class and broke his foot; one twisted wrong while lifting weights and sprained something in his hip, one was doing the Limbo at a school dance and got an avulsion fracture, which means that instead of over-stretching or tearing a tendon, a chunk of bone in her hip pulled loose, and one lifted something wrong at work today and says her back hurts and a shooting pain is going down her leg.... I wasn't even present when 3/4 of the injuries occurred! But everyone always assumes I did it... even my boss at the Y, when she saw one of them on crutches :)

12. FearlessFreep

Your reputation precedes you :)

13. newGuy12

newGuy12 Master of Arts

:boing1:

14. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    pfft!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

15. GlassJaw

GlassJaw Orange Belt

It was indeed a pleasure to meet you and work out with your class. I appreciated the opportunity to see see some of the differences and similarities between our respective schools. Learning new things is always fun.

Wasn't sure what to expect. I had hoped that I might pick up bits of a couple of your hyung (I love the way martial arts often express themselves through patterns). But you kept me on my toes by running me through my own. I hope I didn't embarrass myself too much. Ah, who cares?. . .It was a good practice, and I sure needed it. I'm really glad I went. (Sorry if I seemed a little out of it--something to do with running on less than four hours of sleep over the previous 36 hours. Fortunately, the altitude didn't get to me as much as i feared it might. Anyway, thanks for going easy on me.)

If the invitation still holds (and I can fit it into my family's schedule), I hope to return again this coming Monday before leaving town.

Thanks again!
    Dan

P.S., That reminds me. I wore a white belt and plain dobak because, of course, I hold no rank in your dojang. I meant to mention before practice that I'm a 3rd gup back home. Didn't mean to cause any confusion ("Okay, what bizarre school is this guy from where a 10th or 9th gup knows seven poomsae?")

16. GlassJaw

GlassJaw Orange Belt

Y'know, I was just kidding in my post last week where I mentioned the possibility of Denver being home to the North American TKD Grotesque Injury Museum.

A year or so ago, my co-workers knew that I was preparing for a rank testing over the coming weekend. The following Monday, I returned to work on crutches and explained that I had a broken ankle.
    "Were you trying to break boards?", they asked.
    "Oh, I broke all my boards in a single go. This I did yesterday sledding with my kids. That stuff's dangerous."

Dan

17. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    You're quite welcome! If you want to learn a tul (besides 4 direction punch; that's an exercise, not a pattern) we can certainly do that - the first tul, Chon-Ji, starts very similarly to the one you were doing.

Certainly - please come if you can.

I figured it was something like that - thank you for your courtesy. :asian:

18. FearlessFreep

Didn't realize she was the curator and chief procurer of exhibits, huh?

All joking aside, Kacey, I was wondering if it would be possible to stop by and observe sometime...since I'm just down the road

19. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Hey, what is this, pick on Kacey day? What'd I ever do to you, huh? :idunno:

:)

Certainly - look here for directions to the Y - but with one change; on Mondays we are in the other building (north on same parking lot - follow the blue line on the sidewalk) in the basement of the Senior Center and Child Care building. When you enter the building, go a few steps forward and turn right; the elevator and stairs are on the right. I've got to get that changed one of these days... Be aware also that if you come on Mondays, the day camp is in full swing - so be really careful in the parking lot, and don't be surprised when there are kids and parents all over the place. And you're welcome to join in and play, too.