TKD and Everyone Else

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Umm.. so basically you'll are saying that a true beer should knock you on your ***?

Indeed. Although there are some good soft styles out there, I prefer a beer that does not avoid confrontation.

I see that you're in Colorado Springs. I must apologize for my earlier post in which I labeled the state of Colorado as a "beer deadzone".

It was an inconsiderate and careless comment on my part, and I am truly sorry.

I assure you, I really meant just the Denver area.:)
(Never actually been there. Going next week, though. Is it true that they use beer as a substitute for atmospheric oxygen? That's a skill I should learn.)

Dan

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But you know, CT, Ahiya and Maryland aren't that far apart. If you ever find yourself on the road traveling to points west and want to spend an hour or two exploring the glories of the hop (it's a bad idea to travel when you're uncomfortably thirsty, I've found :D) lemme know.
Abolutely!!

Daniel

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed. Although there are some good soft styles out there, I prefer a beer that does not avoid confrontation.

I see that you're in Colorado Springs. I must apologize for my earlier post in which I labeled the state of Colorado as a "beer deadzone".

It was an inconsiderate and careless comment on my part, and I am truly sorry.

I assure you, I really meant just the Denver area.:)
(Never actually been there. Going next week, though. Is it true that they use beer as a substitute for atmospheric oxygen? That's a skill I should learn.)

Dan

I'm in Denver, and I can state categorically that you have us confused with the People's Republic of Boulder! :)

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm in Denver, and I can state categorically that you have us confused with the People's Republic of Boulder! :)

Hehee, could be. I said "Denver area" in order to encompass both Boulder (home of Brewers Association) and Golden (home of Coors).

Anything of interest TKD-wise in Denver that I should try to check out while I'm there next week? (No, I have no clue what I mean by that. . .It would just be a bummer to not discover until after my return that the city is home to, I dunno, the "North American TKD History Museum and Grotesque Injury Gallery".)

Dan

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hehee, could be. I said "Denver area" in order to encompass both Boulder (home of Brewers Association) and Golden (home of Coors).

Anything of interest TKD-wise in Denver that I should try to check out while I'm there next week? (No, I have no clue what I mean by that. . .It would just be a bummer to not discover until after my return that the city is home to, I dunno, the "North American TKD History Museum and Grotesque Injury Gallery".)

Dan

Hmm... no events coming up that I'm aware of, sorry. But here are some Denver area classes you could check out if you want to; tell them I sent you or they won't know how you found their class or why you're visiting.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Dan

Thanks again for coming to play! I hope you had a good time - my students really enjoyed having a visitor (especially one who, unlike half the class, is not injured).

Here's the picture:

Attachments

• $Glass Jaw visit.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 233

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well...stop injuring them...

I am not the one who injured them... one put his foot down wrong at another instructor's class and broke his foot; one twisted wrong while lifting weights and sprained something in his hip, one was doing the Limbo at a school dance and got an avulsion fracture, which means that instead of over-stretching or tearing a tendon, a chunk of bone in her hip pulled loose, and one lifted something wrong at work today and says her back hurts and a shooting pain is going down her leg.... I wasn't even present when 3/4 of the injuries occurred! But everyone always assumes I did it... even my boss at the Y, when she saw one of them on crutches :)

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for coming to play! I hope you had a good time - my students really enjoyed having a visitor (especially one who, unlike half the class, is not injured).

It was indeed a pleasure to meet you and work out with your class. I appreciated the opportunity to see see some of the differences and similarities between our respective schools. Learning new things is always fun.

Wasn't sure what to expect. I had hoped that I might pick up bits of a couple of your hyung (I love the way martial arts often express themselves through patterns). But you kept me on my toes by running me through my own. I hope I didn't embarrass myself too much. Ah, who cares?. . .It was a good practice, and I sure needed it. I'm really glad I went. (Sorry if I seemed a little out of it--something to do with running on less than four hours of sleep over the previous 36 hours. Fortunately, the altitude didn't get to me as much as i feared it might. Anyway, thanks for going easy on me.)

If the invitation still holds (and I can fit it into my family's schedule), I hope to return again this coming Monday before leaving town.

Thanks again!
Dan

Here's the picture:

P.S., That reminds me. I wore a white belt and plain dobak because, of course, I hold no rank in your dojang. I meant to mention before practice that I'm a 3rd gup back home. Didn't mean to cause any confusion ("Okay, what bizarre school is this guy from where a 10th or 9th gup knows seven poomsae?")

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not the one who injured them... one put his foot down wrong at another instructor's class and broke his foot; one twisted wrong while lifting weights and sprained something in his hip, one was doing the Limbo at a school dance and got an avulsion fracture, which means that instead of over-stretching or tearing a tendon, a chunk of bone in her hip pulled loose, and one lifted something wrong at work today and says her back hurts and a shooting pain is going down her leg.... I wasn't even present when 3/4 of the injuries occurred! But everyone always assumes I did it... even my boss at the Y, when she saw one of them on crutches :)

Y'know, I was just kidding in my post last week where I mentioned the possibility of Denver being home to the North American TKD Grotesque Injury Museum.

A year or so ago, my co-workers knew that I was preparing for a rank testing over the coming weekend. The following Monday, I returned to work on crutches and explained that I had a broken ankle.
"Were you trying to break boards?", they asked.
"Oh, I broke all my boards in a single go. This I did yesterday sledding with my kids. That stuff's dangerous."

Dan

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was indeed a pleasure to meet you and work out with your class. I appreciated the opportunity to see see some of the differences and similarities between our respective schools. Learning new things is always fun.

Wasn't sure what to expect. I had hoped that I might pick up bits of a couple of your hyung (I love the way martial arts often express themselves through patterns). But you kept me on my toes by running me through my own. I hope I didn't embarrass myself too much. Ah, who cares?. . .It was a good practice, and I sure needed it. I'm really glad I went. (Sorry if I seemed a little out of it--something to do with running on less than four hours of sleep over the previous 36 hours. Fortunately, the altitude didn't get to me as much as i feared it might. Anyway, thanks for going easy on me.)

You're quite welcome! If you want to learn a tul (besides 4 direction punch; that's an exercise, not a pattern) we can certainly do that - the first tul, Chon-Ji, starts very similarly to the one you were doing.

If the invitation still holds (and I can fit it into my family's schedule), I hope to return again this coming Monday before leaving town.

Thanks again!
Dan

Certainly - please come if you can.

P.S., That reminds me. I wore a white belt and plain dobak because, of course, I hold no rank in your dojang. I meant to mention before practice that I'm a 3rd gup back home. Didn't mean to cause any confusion ("Okay, what bizarre school is this guy from where a 10th or 9th gup knows seven poomsae?")

I figured it was something like that - thank you for your courtesy. :asian:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Y'know, I was just kidding in my post last week where I mentioned the possibility of Denver being home to the North American TKD Grotesque Injury Museum.

Didn't realize she was the curator and chief procurer of exhibits, huh?

All joking aside, Kacey, I was wondering if it would be possible to stop by and observe sometime...since I'm just down the road

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Didn't realize she was the curator and chief procurer of exhibits, huh?

Hey, what is this, pick on Kacey day? What'd I ever do to you, huh? :idunno:

:)

All joking aside, Kacey, I was wondering if it would be possible to stop by and observe sometime...since I'm just down the road

Certainly - look here for directions to the Y - but with one change; on Mondays we are in the other building (north on same parking lot - follow the blue line on the sidewalk) in the basement of the Senior Center and Child Care building. When you enter the building, go a few steps forward and turn right; the elevator and stairs are on the right. I've got to get that changed one of these days... Be aware also that if you come on Mondays, the day camp is in full swing - so be really careful in the parking lot, and don't be surprised when there are kids and parents all over the place. And you're welcome to join in and play, too.

Latest Discussions