BJJ vs TKD...yep, let's kick the dead horse

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I figured I would start this thread since no one else wanted to...

So, let's discuss for the 100,000,000,000,000 time why BJJ is more effective than TKD, or how TKD is more effective than BJJ...

Personally, I think it's a great idea to train both, and that both are equally valuable to SD...

So, everyone, please share your thoughts.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would love to debate you on this, but damn it...I agree. Train in both if you have the opportunity. The more tools you have the better you will be prepared.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I figured I would start this thread since no one else wanted to...

So, let's discuss for the 100,000,000,000,000 time why BJJ is more effective than TKD, or how TKD is more effective than BJJ...

Personally, I think it's a great idea to train both, and that both are equally valuable to SD...

So, everyone, please share your thoughts.
I like both...I tjust think that BJJ doesnt get any credit that it rightly deserves.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like both...I tjust think that BJJ doesnt get any credit that it rightly deserves.

Depends on the venue. MT probably has more TMA participating, so there's bound to be a bit of prejudice there. You will find the opposite is true on MMA forums.

In the end, it doesn't matter what some fanboy thinks on the internet. If you're happy with your style, then great. You think the Gracies care what some TKD guy on MT thinks?

Back to original topic: it doesn't matter because a real ninja would beat up any BJJ or TKD guy! So, neener, neener!

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the venue. MT probably has more TMA participating, so there's bound to be a bit of prejudice there. You will find the opposite is true on MMA forums.

In the end, it doesn't matter what some fanboy thinks on the internet. If you're happy with your style, then great. You think the Gracies care what some TKD guy on MT thinks?

Back to original topic: it doesn't matter because a real ninja would beat up any BJJ or TKD guy! So, neener, neener!
Thats true...:)

OP
B

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do have to admit that for a while, I was opposed to grappling arts...but not because of the art itself, but rather the people that I had talked to that trained in the grappling arts...such as BJJ.

The majority of the guys that I've talked to, both in person and on other forums besides this one, have had the attitude that if you don't practice BJJ, Muay Thai, or Judo, then you're wasting your time. I admit, it used to ruffle my feathers to talk to those kind of guys. But, after talking to others who have trained in BJJ that can actually act respectfully, I've come to understand where I was going wrong.

I wasn't looking at the benefits of the different arts...rather, I was acting defensive of my own art. I always used to argue that I could defend a take down, and I don't need to know how to grapple...but the truth of the matter is that it's better to know what to do just in case than to keep saying that you don't need it, and end up on the ground needing it.

I know it was posted on that other thread that BJJ'ers don't practice on cement, and would back out of the opportunity to roll on cement....well, the last time I checked, none of the TMA's have a cirriculum that involve cement other than breaking the blocks.

It shouldn't matter what surface you're on...you should be prepared for anything...just like a striker should be prepared to fight on both hard and soft surfaces. Which one is more likely to fight on? Who knows for sure??? I have the same probability that I'm going to fight on the beach as I am fighting on the sidewalk.

I understand that BJJ gets disrespected sometimes because of what we all see in the UFC...and that's not all there is to BJJ, I'm sure. But it's the same as someone disrespecting TKD because of what they see in the Olympics...it's just not a fair assesment. I personally think that if someone is going to say that an art has no SD value, then they need to have facts to back it up.

OP
B

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

And the ninjas win again..thread closed.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand that BJJ gets disrespected sometimes because of what we all see in the UFC...and that's not all there is to BJJ, I'm sure. But it's the same as someone disrespecting TKD because of what they see in the Olympics...it's just not a fair assesment. I personally think that if someone is going to say that an art has no SD value, then they need to have facts to back it up.

I don't understand this. I think BJJ gets a lot more respect because of what we all see in the UFC. If someone fighting in the UFC has a TKD background, the announcers will say that in a "oh, by the way" manner. If someone fighting in the UFC has a BJJ background, that is a big deal! The announcers will come out and say what type of advantage that gives the fighter.

Once again, BJJ gets a ton of respect and attention because of the UFC and other MMA venues, not despite it. There is this 'Gracie' name that keeps coming to mind.

OP
B

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand this. I think BJJ gets a lot more respect because of what we all see in the UFC. If someone fighting in the UFC has a TKD background, the announcers will say that in a "oh, by the way" manner. If someone fighting in the UFC has a BJJ background, that is a big deal! The announcers will come out and say what type of advantage that gives the fighter.

Once again, BJJ gets a ton of respect and attention because of the UFC and other MMA venues, not despite it. There is this 'Gracie' name that keeps coming to mind.

I mean that in regards to SD. There are quite a few people who argue that the BJJ that the UFC'er's train is not SD quality, but designed to fit a certain ruleset.

I personally don't agree with that...I think that everyone knows that there is a certain ruleset within the UFC, and just because you don't train to punch someone in the back of the head doesn't mean that you won't know to take sieze the opportunity if it presents itself.

I'm just speaking from personal experience from posting on MMA forums, and from speaking to a few guys in person. I've never actually participated in BJJ, although I would like to.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
better

what does better mean?

better for being an MMA fighter?
better for street defense?
better for getting in shape?
better for competing in the olympics?

TKD-evolved from shotkan, originally a brutal self defense based system now sometimes taught as the original, sometimes as a sport art for competition. Stand up, limited or no ground

BJJ-evolved from a sport art, Judo Perfected in sport matches in Rio, taught as a sport art with some self defense application. ground fighting, limited or no stand up

whats better?

too many variables, too many conditional modifiers to have just one answer

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score

St Pierre comes from a TKD history and is arguably one of the best fighters in the world. He also understands that it takes more than just TKD to survive in the UFC. But the problem is that certain people think they can go their whole lives without getting taken down. And if they do get taken down they will pop back up with the 20 mins a week ground training they are doing. I guarantee if I take you down you will not be getting back up very easily.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter what surface you're on...you should be prepared for anything...just like a striker should be prepared to fight on both hard and soft surfaces. Which one is more likely to fight on? Who knows for sure??? I have the same probability that I'm going to fight on the beach as I am fighting on the sidewalk.

I live 5 hours from a beach, and there are no marshmellow plantations around here, so my odds are on having to fight on nice solid hard ground. Your mileage may vary

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I live 5 hours from a beach, and there are no marshmellow plantations around here, so my odds are on having to fight on nice solid hard ground. Your mileage may vary
Yeah and odds are youre going to that hard ground during that fight...

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guarantee if I take you down you will not be getting back up very easily.

LOL

sure thing

do you realize just how ridiculous that claim is? making that blanket statement to everyone, with no idea of thier skills, training, experience, or mind set?

Thats akin to someone saying "i can knock anyone out"

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LOL

sure thing

do you realize just how ridiculous that claim is? making that blanket statement to everyone, with no idea of thier skills, training, experience, or mind set?

Thats akin to someone saying "i can knock anyone out"
Not true my friend...to knock someone out it takes a certain amount of strength, training and skill. Taking you down only takes training and skill. A 3 yr old can take you down. Leverage is a beautiful thing. And I know your skills...not much. Once youre down youre in my world. Just like if I were to stand with you...uh dont think im gonna be doing that.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah and odds are youre going to that hard ground during that fight...

wrong again.

that "90% of fights go to the ground" claim is crap put out by the Gracies to hype thier style back in the 90's.

maybe in grade schools all fights turn into wrestling matches, but that aint reality. 10 years in bars. more FIGHTS (not sport matches) than I can remember. Went to the ground less than 5 times.

That idea fails the reality test HARD.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I know your skills...not much. Once youre down youre in my world. Just like if I were to stand with you...uh dont think im gonna be doing that.

aside from the blatant ad hom attack, which is against the rules here btw, you dont know me from adam.

And since you have to resort to insults, I am now done wasting time with you.

good day

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know BJJ isn't a gazillion years old but doesn't it date back to the 40's (Not sure of that date)? How can that not be treated as a TMA compared to TKD which is considered a "TMA"?

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
wrong again son.

that "90% of fights go to the ground" claim is crap put out by the Gracies to hype thier style back in the 90's.

maybe in grade schools all fights turn into wrestling matches, but that aint reality. 10 years in bars. more FIGHTS (not sport matches) than I can remember. Went to the ground less than 5 times.

That idea fails the reality test HARD.
90% may be a stretch, but if you did go down what would you do. Im hoping you were a bouncer and not a toolbag picking fights.