Sup Gee Sao

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I was going to post something almost identical. (maybe also unsurprisingly?)
Threading the hand underneath takes away the idea of the wu sau's ability to provide 2-lines of offense/defense for the jong sau, and leaves both of your hands open to being trapped by your opponent's single hand from anyone with a little skill and (as you mentioned) fwd intent when you try to 'thread' needlessly underneath. Unless of course the opponent is much smaller and less skilled as even somewhat admitted by the OP.

using two hands is like a sheild that is hard to break through your defense so no wu sao is needed. the sup gee sao hands are the strongest structure IMO which is why its in all 3 hand forms,

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Then why is the wu sau there at all? Why not just use crossed hands Sup Gee Sao for your bai jong ready position? Not trying to be argumentative, but I think what you are saying now and doing in the clip greatly contradict each other. If this is the strongest structure in your opinion, then why doesn't it survive even his weak, half hearted trap later on, resulting in you to having to change to something else like kwan sau? (which was my initial point anyway)

IMO, this is the risk you run into when creating a demo with smaller & less-skilled opponents who aren't really trying to pressure you in any way - all sorts of things can be made to work. I realize 'it's just a demo', but to get back to my initial point: if your opponent had been stepping in and actually trying to hit you with any type of force or structure from the start (vs punching with no intent and fist still over a foot away from you even when fully extended), then you wouldn't have the time or space to abandon your already-good wu sau position to thread your hand under the other.

So again, if this strong structure can't withstand even his simple trap as shown in the later part of the clip, how is it going to survive someone coming in with elbow down really trying to smash you on center? His structure and pressure is going to trap both arms when you cross them without even having to use a grab for the trap.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions