Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

At 2.47, you call it "sweep". I prefer to call it "切(Qie) - cut". IMO, the

- "sweep" is a "forward" leg motion, and
- "cut" is a "backward" leg motion.

When you hook your foot behind your opponent's ankle, the

1. 咬 (Yao) shin bite - press your shin bone against the inside part of your opponent's low leg,
2. 撮 (Cuo) scooping kick - pull your opponent's foot toward you along the ground,
3. 粘 (Zhan) sticking kick - lift your foot up and remain contact when your opponent tries to escape his leg,
4. 踢 (Ti) foot sweep - sweep your opponent's foot off the ground,

are a 4 in 1 package deal.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen these in other lineages, but I have a question, and I mean no offense; Do the majority of those that train Wing Chun remember them, use them and know how to defend against them?

I believe the better practitioners in my lineage (WT and NVTO) frequently apply these movements and their counters. Including circling knee locks, huen-bo sweeps and throws and so on. My kung fu brother Jeff Webb is great with knee locks and sweeps.

I tend to avoid some of these techniques since I have bone fusions in my ankles and also have had both knees operated on. I generally don't mess with knee locking and counter locking. It just isn't safe for me. However, I do profitably employ huen-bo sweeps, leg checks, and leg-foot contact to read my opponent's intentions -- much like what John Wang was referring to in post #8 above.

Latest Discussions