13 year old Wing Tsun kid - Any thoughts ? Hope you like :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good demo showing speedy strikes vs a fight type stimulus. Problem is the attacker doesn't continue the attack or do any countering. Is a video of some counter attacking drills vs a push, a person stepping into your personnel space or a single controlled attack. How would he fair and look vs someone really attempting to attack and countered the barrage of chain punches?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Markman.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
He looks good! Hope he sticks with it and doesn't get too distracted with girls and football! ;-)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He looks good! Hope he sticks with it and doesn't get too distracted with girls and football! ;-)

Yeah, too much football can keep you away from the kwoon. As for girls ...there ain't no stoppin' that.

OP
M

Markman

White Belt
Reaction score
Good demo showing speedy strikes vs a fight type stimulus. Problem is the attacker doesn't continue the attack or do any countering. Is a video of some counter attacking drills vs a push, a person stepping into your personnel space or a single controlled attack. How would he fair and look vs someone really attempting to attack and countered the barrage of chain punches?

Thank you, i agree, its a different story when push comes to shove, and it's a real fight. But we do these types of drills with the kids as reaction drills. They start off with their eyes shut, allowed only to open them upon contact. In this case we limited him, no elbows, knees, takedowns etc. and as you pointed out, limited attacks from the aggressor, so why not just keep punching

This kid started off shy and stuttering, and now as you see, has the courage not only to move in and punch, but to do so with speed, power and precision, in front of parents, his instructors and their sifus.
I believe that this courage, and simple mindset will help him in most fights he would encounter, especially against most other kids his age.

OP
M

Markman

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, too much football can keep you away from the kwoon. As for girls ...there ain't no stoppin' that.

Hahaha it's a real fear of mine ! They have crafty ways them women !

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt, but a a rare breed, luck is required to encounter one amongst the lip gloss mayhem :)

Really? I hate to tell you we are not a rare breed at all. And the lip gloss comment? Do I need to tell you that is dismissive?
here's some American figures. Note that 25% of teenage boys and 22% of teenage girls have participated in martial arts. United States Martial Arts Demographics

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? I hate to tell you we are not a rare breed at all. And the lip gloss comment? Do I need to tell you that is dismissive?
here's some American figures. Note that 25% of teenage boys and 22% of teenage girls have participated in martial arts. United States Martial Arts Demographics
In our youth and teen programs we average close to 70/30 percent males to females but with a higher renewal rate for the females. In our adult programs males out number the females 80/20 but again the renewal rate for females is greater.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Among 'them women' are plenty of good martial artists ! :)
------------------------------------Sexist comments just before Tez's post are best ignored.
Nancy Macdonald was a superb wing chun person.I learned from her as well.
Carinna- currently is superb.
I am teaching pure wing chun including applications to a female law enforcement officer. I have faith in her judgment that she will not misuse it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not knowing enough about Wing Chun it is not my place to comment on his ability in the art, however I will say he has good reactions and that I hope he continues his studies

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's stay on topic, folks... What do you think of the drill shown?

OP
M

Markman

White Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes text is not the best medium for Sarcasm/ not serious comments. My gf is a very competent ma, and 60 percent of my team are girls, awesome girls I might add. Sorry about the mix up people, and thank you for the feedback- best regards mark

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I'm seeing in this video she has what I would call a classical straight mid line attack. This is what I think off when I think of Wing Chun

OP
M

Markman

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, motivates me to keep training them

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In both clips, the "knock out intention with body rotation" are missing.

When you train 1 step 3 punches (or chain punches), you should train all the following different ways:

- fast, fast, fast,
- fast, fast, slow,
- fast, slow, slow,

The

- fast punch does not require body rotation. It's faster punch but less powerful.
- slow punch does require body rotation. It's slower but more powerful.

You may not need "knock out intention with body rotation" in all your punches, but you will need it in "some" of your punches.

Here is an example of a punch with "knock down intention". It requires some extra "body rotation".

superman_punch_2.jpg

Last edited: