Leg Checks and Sweeps

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I watched it without audio at work, but familiar stuff. Reminds me of one of my instructors who likes to "check" your stance when in close by checking or jamming your front leg. We are taught to keep the weight on the back leg (WT lineage) so if the front leg is checked we are to not fight it and use that force to move ourselves around it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
*Grabs popcorn and waits for John Wang's response*
Thanks for the OP to start this thread. The "leg bridging" is such an important skill, so far we have not had much discussion in this area yet. IMO, if your leading leg can contact on your opponent's leading leg, not only you can prevent his leg to kick you or knee you, you can also sense his intention and respond to it properly.

My teacher's bother told me that he would never move in without touching his leading leg onto his opponent's leading leg first. That's how important that "leg bridge" is used in the grappling art. It plays a very important part of the "entering strategy".

When you use "leg bridging", you start to use your

- back leg for your "rooting leg",
- front leg for your "attacking leg (use your leg to 'control' your opponent's leg)",

you have just stepped from the striking world into the grappling world.

Chang_leg_sieze.jpg

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was trained in this method as well. And I love it. It effectively jams your opponents lead leg; and it gives you the knowledge of his intent. He can't attack you with his rear leg (without altering his forward leg); he can't use his forward leg without a major shift in body weight and COG; and when applied properly, it positions you on his "outside" gate thus nullifying his other hand/arm.
Lots of emphasis was placed on this training. Yes, there are counters; but only from someone who has training. (IMHO).
Good discussion (so far). :D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there are counters; but only from someone who has training.

Chang_leg_sieze.jpg

All attack has counters. Since "leg bridge" should work with "arm bridge", IMO, the best counter for the above "shin bite" is to:

- Use your right hand to grab on your opponent's right wrist.
- Pull your right leg back behind your left leg.
- Extend your left arm under his right arm.
- Spin your body to your right, and
- Put pressure on his right elbow joint.

crack.jpg

It may be worthwhile to notice that when your opponent applies "leg bridge" on you, he tries to force you to make certain commitment so he can take advantage on it. If he detects that you try to lift your right leg and put all your weight on your left leg, his right "shin biting" leg can "spring" your left back leg when all your weight is on it.

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
There a
-----------------------------------------------Easy to each and learn

and there are counters to those mo
Chang_leg_sieze.jpg

All attack has counters. Since "leg bridge" should work with "arm bridge", IMO, the best counter for the above "shin bite" is:

- Use your right hand to grab on your opponent's right wrist.
- Pull your right leg back behind your left leg.
- Extend your left arm under his right arm.
- Spin your body to your right, and
- Put pressure on his right elbow joint.

crack.jpg

It may be worthwhile to notice that when your opponent applies "leg bridge" on you, he tries to force you to make certain commitment so he can take advantage on it. If he detects that you try to left your right leg and put all your weight on your left leg, his right "shin biting" leg can "spring" your left back leg when all your weight is on it.

Good stuff..this picture looks very familiar..

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your base (leg, in stand up) gets compromised - oh, does that suck.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What this video teaches is how the basic opening of the 3 hand sets, Siu Nim Tao,Chum Kiu and Biu Gee and hidden or not so known leg checks and leg sweeps hidden in the forms..

I've seen these in other lineages, but I have a question, and I mean no offense; Do the majority of those that train Wing Chun remember them, use them and know how to defend against them?

I have done a combination of Chi Sau vs Push hands with a few WC people and they are hard to hit and very good strikers but more than once I have had to stop them and tell them to pay attention to their feet/knees and showed them where I was, why, and what could have happened had I not, and on one occasion I just locked the other guys foot to the ground by stepping on it and his structure was compromised.

But with this I am not saying it is easy to get there, having someone trying to punch you in the head, chest or anywhere else as you try, block, stick, redirect and maneuver does not make it easy

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've seen these in other lineages, but I have a question, and I mean no offense; Do the majority of those that train Wing Chun remember them, use them and know how to defend against them?

Not from what I have seen. In my opinion, WC leg skill is on a decline. This is not to say it is kept alive in some families; just that I think most focus on the hands.

I'I just locked the other guys foot to the ground by stepping on it and his structure was compromised.

Stepping on the foot is a good skill/tactic, but takes solid training in WC footwork patterns/angles etc to pull off. If you stepped on this WC guys foot and he did not know how to counter...he could have been a newb(?) or he just doesn't know what to do in those instances...?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not from what I have seen. In my opinion, WC leg skill is on a decline. This is not to say it is kept alive in some families; just that I think most focus on the hands.

That is more of what I think it might be, all family and lineages aside, many seem to focus much more on the hands. And to be honest, if that is all you are focusing on and not thinking things below the waist beyond using it for structure, it is easier.

Stepping on the foot is a good skill/tactic, but takes solid training in WC footwork patterns/angles etc to pull off. If you stepped on this WC guys foot and he did not know how to counter...he could have been a newb(?) or he just doesn't know what to do in those instances...?

No he was not a newb, he was rather skilled, just seemed to have no focus on his feet/legs, and it was more than one person, all I consider quite skilled and well trained. and it is simply a slide forward and lock his toes to the ground with mine and apply pressure.

"Without feet, there are no hands."

True, but if you do not pay attention to your legs or the legs of the guy in front of you, then you can lose your structure and your ability to use your hands rather quickly.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructors (a WT family) seem to have a big emphasis on stance and leg usage. We practice plum blossom stepping in a lot of our drills, stepping very close to, or stepping "thru" an opponent while sticking, forming some kind of leg bridge if we are in a dominant attacking position (versus having to move ourself around our partner due to their force). Some wicked stuff you can do when you are preventing someone from people able to turn or step while you are attacking them!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not saying it is easy to get there, ...
IMO, you can build "arm bridge" first. you then use it to hide your intention to build your "leg bridge". Of course you can also build "arm bridge" and "leg bridge" at the same time. That will require great timing.

Even if you may fail, you have just forced your opponent to react to your move so you can react to his reaction. That's what a "door opening" move suppose to do for you.

A low roundhouse kick aiming at your opponent's inside leading upper leg can give you a chance to set this up. The more aggressive approach can be just to "jump on it" by pressing your shin bone against your opponent's upper leading leg. You then slide down your leg along his leg and hook your foot behind his ankle. I like to call it "jumping spider".

Latest Discussions