Do you have a personal Sil Lum Tao?

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I learned in my training to treat the Sil Lum Tao as a dictionary of sorts. To use it essentially ensure I "never forget" while also providing a "wet stone" to sharpen hand positions and moving energy through my centerline.

That said, in addition to the Sil Lum Tao that I learned, and still practice separately, I indulge in the guilty pleasure of experimenting with it (adding symmetry in areas where I thought it useful, incorporating multiple interpretations of hand positions, etc.).

Do any other practitioners indulge in the same way? Do you have a personalized or customized Sil Lum Tao, Chum Kiu, Bil Gee, or Chi Sao set that you include in your practice?

Hope this is a fun question and look forward to hearing responses (even responses like "No. No, I do not do that. That you even asked... that you even asked, to me, is so deeply offensive... so very deeply offensive... you, sir, are a flat-footed ninny-booby)!

~ Alan

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I learned in my training to treat the Sil Lum Tao as a dictionary of sorts. To use it essentially ensure I "never forget" while also providing a "wet stone" to sharpen hand positions and moving energy through my centerline.

That said, in addition to the Sil Lum Tao that I learned, and still practice separately, I indulge in the guilty pleasure of experimenting with it (adding symmetry in areas where I thought it useful, incorporating multiple interpretations of hand positions, etc.).

Do any other practitioners indulge in the same way? Do you have a personalized or customized Sil Lum Tao, Chum Kiu, Bil Gee, or Chi Sao set that you include in your practice?

Hope this is a fun question and look forward to hearing responses (even responses like "No. No, I do not do that. That you even asked... that you even asked, to me, is so deeply offensive... so very deeply offensive... you, sir, are a flat-footed ninny-booby)!

~ Alan

I think most people go over parts of SNT that they think important, and some have redesigned parts to emphasise certain aspects

What is your understanding of SNT?

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Off the top of my head here are some of my thoughts on it:
  • It catalogues the structure and central movement of foundational hand positions.
  • It let's you practice breathing along with those central movements.
  • It helps you sink into a rooted stance and learn how to relax your legs while maintaining structure (eiffel tower).
  • It can be practiced very slowly to give your nervous system time to record and train your muscle memory.
  • It can be practiced with rhythm and at variable speeds to help develop flow and timing.
  • There is not one true version of it as evidenced by the variety offered to practitioners.
  • It's symmetry helps your left arm correct itself with respect to your right and vice versa.
  • It is highly portable and can be practiced basically anywhere you can stand.
I'm sure if I sit here for the rest of the day more thoughts will come, but those are a few.

~ Alan

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I haven't changed or personalized any forms.

I do play them with different energies or while considering different things at various times. Sometimes it may be smoothness of transition, sometimes it may be energy expression, sometimes I do Si Lim Tao on one leg, etc.

But, I don't add or change things in the sequence.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

~ Alan

I've trained under two different lineages so I have a "personalized" SLT and CK which is a combination of the nuances from WSL and Ho Kam Ming. I keep telling myself I should look into how other lineages do their forms and see if I see anything I like that I can incorporate into mine.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've trained under two different lineages so I have a "personalized" SLT and CK which is a combination of the nuances from WSL and Ho Kam Ming. I keep telling myself I should look into how other lineages do their forms and see if I see anything I like that I can incorporate into mine.
Happy to exchange knowledge with you if you're interested.

~ Alan

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

That's interesting

Can you highlight what you see as the main differences between HKM and WSL?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've trained under two different lineages so I have a "personalized" SLT and CK which is a combination of the nuances from WSL and Ho Kam Ming.

That must have taken a ton of work if it still makes sense somehow.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That must have taken a ton of work if it still makes sense somehow.

Not really. It's more an amalgamation than combining the two. I just picked certain aspecs I like that one form does differently and used it in MY form to replace the other.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really. It's more an amalgamation than combining the two. I just picked certain aspecs I like that one form does differently and used it in MY form to replace the other.

Yeah, but as far as I've been able to tell, the two systems often contradict one another in strategy and tactics. What kind of things were you switching out?

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Happy to exchange knowledge with you if you're interested.

~ Alan

Sure, but WC is not my primary style so you're probably more knowledgable than I am. Also, because I was in the military and moved a lot, I was never in one school long enough to learn past SLT, CK, and Mook Jong. I am missing the last form and the weapon forms in my WC.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's interesting

Can you highlight what you see as the main differences between HKM and WSL?

It's been a while since I've differentiated my WC but A few things that come to mind are:
1. Shifting/Pivoting - WSL pivots on heels, HKM on balls of feet. I pivot somewhere on the middle, in front of the arch.
2. Bong - WSL is forward and rising, HKM is like forward and spearing. Mine's a combination of the two, kinda like swimming.
3. Bong & Step (CK) - HKM, at the end of third BongStep, the bong does an uppercut before the facing pivot. If I can remember correctly WSL just drops the elbow. I like the uppercut better because why not. It's one of the hardest punches to see and when I'm fighting close range, I want that in my toolbox.

That's just a few off the top of my head. Don't have time to write all because I'm at work.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but as far as I've been able to tell, the two systems often contradict one another in strategy and tactics. What kind of things were you switching out?

See my reply to Guy B.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Joy, our resident HKM > Augustine Fong guy at the forum, says HKM lineage shifts on the heels too...?
I can't agree nor disagree. It's just what I was taught.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Leung Sheung set there's tan>jum>tan>huen>palm strike. In others it's tan>gan>tan>huen>palm strike. I do tan>jum>tan>gan>tan>huen>palm strike, which I believe WSL does as well. There's a couple other things too but I'm on mobile and can't be assed to type it all out at the moment.

Last edited:

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My instructor changed the way he performs the forms and dummy and swords to incorporate mainly front step / exchange step footwork rather than neutral / side neutral / pivoting stances. Our SLT contains more footwork than the regular TWC advanced SLT. He claims he witnessed his instructor perform all the forms this way as an alternative to what he taught in regular classes. He also observed that with nearly all of his compatriots who fought in the ring or elsewhere that tried to fight from a foot parallel stance, that they either went rapidly backwards into the ropes or dropped into a front stance position.

IMO this is also a better fit with my understanding of base, posture and structure in standup wrestling.

I believe the forms should be passed on as set down by the instructor in a "canonical" form. However, I also believe that the forms are frameworks in which creativity should be encouraged as long as fundamental principles of the particular form or set are not violated. These are frameworks, not stone tablets.

Try them backwards, upside down, inside out and on the other side. Substitute footwork and movements, etc. including those from other styles, including the imagination. Most of it is impractical but if you don't experiment, you will never find out.

As part of an advanced grading I was tasked with developing a new form and two new dummy sets. Some time, you have to stop walking in everyone else's footsteps and actually explore.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do tan>jum>tan>gan>tan>huen>palm strike, which I believe WSL does as well.

WSL kept both as separate sections.

As part of an advanced grading I was tasked with developing a new form and two new dummy sets.

What was the point of that? To create new applications or combos of moves, or did you create new techniques all together?

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What was the point of that? To create new applications or combos of moves, or did you create new techniques all together?

Actually a little of both plus more. Creativity, we were encouraged to use combat principles from other systems or elsewhere and see what could be integrated into the canon.

Latest Discussions