Steven Lopez got KO'd in Mexico!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The king has been knocked off the mountian top.

[yt]EucJ6-mfnpo[/yt]

Last edited:
OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats to Aarron Cook.:asian:

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also congrats to Steven Lopez for such a long run. Well done Sir!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if he got knocked out by that off balance, ACCIDENTAL no focus BS, he deserved it.

good lord, can any of these guys take a shot?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first kick pulled his head down straight into the second kick which KO'ed him. Momentum magnified the second hit.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the other guy had both feet off the floor, no base at all, nothing to push against, and wasnt even trying to throw an actual kick, and lopez got zoinked out.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well in sport TKD they have quite a few kicks that have some power that can be thrown in the air with no base. Side kick back kick combo is one that gets use quite often.

The kick you see here is another. That was no accident. Aaron was attempting and landed what is called a double with both kicks going high. He committed to the kick even though he knew he was going to fall. Doubles or running kicks as we call them are quite common. Most times they are thrown trunk trunk, or trunk head but some of the good ones will go head head with them. You will almost always fall but you must stay committed. But if you don't do the sport you won't know this.

Doubles also pack some punch as you are using the momentum of the first kick to push off for the power of the second kick, no base needed as your opponents body is your base or push off. The second kick is stronger than the first kick, belive it or not.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like the 2nd kick connects to the face of Lopez, and rings his bell enough so he can't slap/roll out of the fall when he should have...thus the KO coming from the knock on the noggin when he went to the mat.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like that when you look at the score board, after the fact, apparently neither kick scored, as Aaron Cook still has just 2 points and that was a 6 point headshot combo.

Hey WTF IRs, pull your heads out and watch what is going on in the ring in front of you without concern yourself with who it is.

And if the refs didn't feel that either of those techniques were valid scoring techniques, than shouldn't Cook have been DQ'd?

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like the 2nd kick connects to the face of Lopez, and rings his bell enough so he can't slap/roll out of the fall when he should have...thus the KO coming from the knock on the noggin when he went to the mat.
No, he was out on his way down. Look at his hands and how he falls. His head gear even came half way off. Watch the head snap back from the kick. He turned to have the first kick miss but did not expect the second as it is rare to have a double come to the head plus the kicks are bang bang and the first almost always misses but the second is harder and the main part of a two part kick.

We tell all our students that do sport TKD that this kick is a 70/100 kick. 70% power or even a miss on the first and 100% power on the second. We even have them throw the first to the leg or butt then bring the second to the trunk or head.

Many that don't do the sport call these flutter kicks and think that there is no power in them, but from being on the oppisite end many, many times they hurt like hell, even when you guard/block them.

If you watch the clip again in slow then fast motion you will see that the first high head kick was not with any intention at all but the second kick was snapped at the last second with full flex of the thigh and full extention from the knee. It was a well timed and placed kick.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
if he got knocked out by that off balance, ACCIDENTAL no focus BS, he deserved it.

good lord, can any of these guys take a shot?
Looks like he took two shots there; the first one was off balance, but was enough to take Lopez's balance, too. He was moving into the second, and it looked like a pretty good scissor kick as Cook was falling. Put 'em together, and Lopez's head was bounced pretty good.

It wasn't a clean KO, as in out like light. But apparently enough to meet the definition in the rules... I can't tell if he was able to get up or not.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aaron deserves this recognition, he has been working hard getting those skills.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was that check $270,000.00 USD or Pesos?:erg:

If WTF is paying $270K USD, I need to dust off my old gear and start training in the sport again!!!!

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love how Cook keeps running over to Lopez to bow:

"Mr. Lopez, I'm such a fan, I have the utmost respect for you, I hold you in the highest regard Mr. Lopez!"
"Come back in a few minutes, son. He's still out cold."

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nice kid!!! Great Kick!!! Lopez out cold!!! More comments from the peanut gallery!!! A great way to start a Monday!!!

Looks like they had a good crowd with lots of Fan participation! Mexico is really getting behind Sport TKD! I hope that they continue these events it is good for our sport!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a clean wing, period. Steven is a heck of fighter but age is age, the guy who ko Steven dereces all the respect from us.

This weekend I was referree ina local match and afther seeing the black belt divisions I knew why I will not succed in a tournament as a fighter, the new kids are strong and super fast.

Don't know if Lopez will recover from this lose, I asume yes but don't know how long it will takes to him to get over this lose and then again return like he is a superchamp. However we must remeber Lopez is 30 or 31 don't recall and with the pass of time he can be defeated more times by youngsters, maybe it¡'s time to the family Lopez to start to think in the other younger members.

Manny

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, he was out on his way down. Look at his hands and how he falls. His head gear even came half way off. Watch the head snap back from the kick. He turned to have the first kick miss but did not expect the second as it is rare to have a double come to the head plus the kicks are bang bang and the first almost always misses but the second is harder and the main part of a two part kick.

We tell all our students that do sport TKD that this kick is a 70/100 kick. 70% power or even a miss on the first and 100% power on the second. We even have them throw the first to the leg or butt then bring the second to the trunk or head.

Many that don't do the sport call these flutter kicks and think that there is no power in them, but from being on the oppisite end many, many times they hurt like hell, even when you guard/block them.

If you watch the clip again in slow then fast motion you will see that the first high head kick was not with any intention at all but the second kick was snapped at the last second with full flex of the thigh and full extention from the knee. It was a well timed and placed kick.

After watching it again...I think you're right, he was konked by the kick. I thought I saw more movement in his arms than I did.

You might like the movie Ong Bak 2, if you haven't seen it. Tony Jaa is largely Muay Thai but in many places in the movie you can see him placing kick to launch himself off his opponent's body in order to perform the next move.

I have no doubt that those kicks are forceful. They just make it look easy. ;)

Reactions: ATC

Latest Discussions