Steven Lopez got KO'd in Mexico!!!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the new angles do make it look more intentional thanks Carol.

one in a million either way.

Wish he hadnt done so much celebrating afterward, it was...tacky

awesome round kick/turn back kick combo that lopez tried to play was too low

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this type of sparring. What's the point of all the hugging?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
good question. I mean, sure there is the brotherhood of sport. sure, they look damn good in them there white jammies.....i dont know

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this type of sparring. What's the point of all the hugging?

Yeah, I dont like that either. kind of silly and embarrassing. When I center Ref, I dont let them hug that long. I thought they were slow dancing for a minute there.

Some people try to counter off the "clinch" so the ref's usually give them a few seconds to see if any play will develope. Almost never does.

This fight is not a good example of what olympic TKD is supposed to be. But this is what it has evolved into. When played right, I t can be a very interesting and good match. The WTF is constantly evolving its rules to get away from the way it has become. I have said a million times that i am not that impressed with many matches of Lopez. But I have seen other less "famous" fighters with some really outstanding matches....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought at first they were doing a friendly break, then it looked like they were trying some rather odd close shots, then it looked like a boxing clinch but the ref didn't seem hurried in breaking it up. Hence my confusion. I'm more familiar with FMA stick fighting though and point karate.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
the new angles do make it look more intentional thanks Carol.

one in a million either way.

Wish he hadnt done so much celebrating afterward, it was...tacky

awesome round kick/turn back kick combo that lopez tried to play was too low
The thing is that many of us here that are quite familuar with this sport can see that this was intentional. But I guess us that do and know what we are looking at just talk to be talking, even though we do and teach this everyday.:shrug:

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with Twin Fist on this. TaeKwonDo was developed as a martial art. A method of defending one's self. Although the art has been evolving more and more into a sport, it should still remain practical. Watching what sport tkd has evolved into is sickening. It in no way resembles a practical based fighting system anymore. To stand face to face to someone with your hands around your waist and then throw a kick which lands you on your back? Come on. Unless you by some fluke happen to knock your opponent out, you would get killed in a street fight. These guys are certainly talented athletes but it is quite a stretch to call them martial artists. This is why I have moved away from the WTF and focused my efforts on the martial art of TaeKwonDo.
Not sure why you are trying ot equate the two. Most of these competitors do both the art and the sport. Can't for the life of me understand why it is so hard for some to understand this.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Teaching someone constant focus, reaction and motion really kills the art side of Taekwondo dudes. I mean, who would want such qualities in a martial art?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you know this how?

it isnt a big secret

hands around your waist

no hand techniques

no guarding the groin

too much hugging

too much falling over

all ok in a sport

all will get your butt killed on the street

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And we are still compairing Filet Mignon and Hashbrowns.

I think, if we focus on the 2 guys who met on a level playing field that is not the street, we get a lot further.

(besides, I just love the 'it get's you killed in the streets' argument. A lot of things get you killed in the streets, but number one cause of this is being in a bad place...neither guns nor MA training replaces common sense)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People who do Sport TKD understand that 90% of what they do is NOT applicable in the mythical "Street" or "Street Fight" that everyone is always referring to. ATC, Terry and many more have stated that Olympic Sport TKD Athletes understand that what they do is a sport and should not be compared to self defense. The only thing that hurts the art is the constant complaining by people who have ax to grind with the sport side of TKD. Everyone I know who practices the Sport of TKD also loves the art side and the self defense side. We love traditional TKD. We also happen to love the sport! Why people refuse to see open there minds and see both sides is beyond me.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, one does not have to like it, but it's easy enough to separate from 'the Art'

And no matter how you slice it, getting a kick off while falling, that is mighty impressive to me, no matter how odd I find the sport to look.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
there you go making sense again. We'll have NONE of that here, thank you very much

And we are still compairing Filet Mignon and Hashbrowns.

I think, if we focus on the 2 guys who met on a level playing field that is not the street, we get a lot further.

(besides, I just love the 'it get's you killed in the streets' argument. A lot of things get you killed in the streets, but number one cause of this is being in a bad place...neither guns nor MA training replaces common sense)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only thing that hurts the art is the constant complaining by people who have ax to grind with the sport side of TKD.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt

wrong answer

what hurts the ART is people seeing the SPORT and thinking it is the ART

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
it isnt a big secret

hands around your waist

no hand techniques

no guarding the groin

too much hugging

too much falling over

all ok in a sport

all will get your butt killed on the street

I have to agree with you in all the above that is not MA that is a GAME a full contact GAME. The match beetwen Steven and Aaron was that a GAME that Aaron capitalize, he won by a well knock out, it was fate? don't know, but Aaron is a complete Atlethe and a champion and he is well prepared for winning matches even by ko.

I don't like at all the GAME of TKD but it's waht it is? However I've seeing local and national matches in my country pretty close to tell people that a well placed kick can hurt.

Manny