Steven Lopez got KO'd in Mexico!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Again. If you don't do then how can you say for certain what it does? Some things percived as habbit are not. We don't train to create habbits, we train to read and react.

Read and react...a cornerstone of many sports...it is a mantra at TDT...read and react is good in all situations!!!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ANd still not a peep of this on USAT's website. hmmmmmm...

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wasn't the final score of the match 4 - 2 Steven, or at least what was on the score screen? Well this was posted on the USAT site about the rules of those matches in Mexico.

Modified WTF Competition Rules were applied to the event, in which a kick to the head granted an athlete four points, together with a strict 10-second rule.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't the final score of the match 4 - 2 Steven, or at least what was on the score screen? Well this was posted on the USAT site about the rules of those matches in Mexico.

Ref Post #9 in this thread. Of course that was before I knew that it was 4 points for the head so amend my mention of a 6 point combo to an 8 point combo.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bottom line Steven got cought with a nice double jumping kick. Sometimes we need to be put down to rise to the top again, age is certainly catching up with him.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bottom line Steven got cought with a nice double jumping kick. Sometimes we need to be put down to rise to the top again, age is certainly catching up with him.

I suppose he had a long run, and the new generation of hungry youngsters is chomping at the bit to get their time in the lime light.

(how old is he anyhow, for 'age' to catch up to him? LOL)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose he had a long run, and the new generation of hungry youngsters is chomping at the bit to get their time in the lime light.

30 or older and in tournament fighting that is old, maybe he needs to change over to poomsae?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Roughly the same age at which football players are considered old. He was born in 1978, which makes him 31. As athletes go, that is generally considered old, in large part due to mileage up to that point.

Daniel

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

4 points for a head shot? I thought it was 3????

I wonder if the points weren't on the screen only because they happended so fast and then there was Lopez lying on the mat KO'd. IS ther ereally any need to score points at that point? At least that is what I am telling myself- surely those corners would have counted those points!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
4 points for a head shot? I thought it was 3????

I wonder if the points weren't on the screen only because they happended so fast and then there was Lopez lying on the mat KO'd. IS ther ereally any need to score points at that point? At least that is what I am telling myself- surely those corners would have counted those points!

Well, if memory serves me correctly, And Im not sure, I thought a head shot was now 3 but anytime a person got a count for a knock down, it added a point. Say he got hit in the head and knocked down, 3 pts, then the resulting 8 count (if he got back up) awarded the other player another point making it 4 total. it used to be that way when head shots were 2 pts too. But I'm not sure if it changed or still exisits...

either way, they didnt score any of the kicks Cook got as he still had only 2 pts.

I am curious to know if the 8 count point still exists.... I will try to find out.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if memory serves me correctly, And Im not sure, I thought a head shot was now 3 but anytime a person got a count for a knock down, it added a point. Say he got hit in the head and knocked down, 3 pts, then the resulting 8 count (if he got back up) awarded the other player another point making it 4 total. it used to be that way when head shots were 2 pts too. But I'm not sure if it changed or still exisits...

either way, they didnt score any of the kicks Cook got as he still had only 2 pts.

I am curious to know if the 8 count point still exists.... I will try to find out.
These were modified rules for this tournament only. Head shots were 4 points for this tournament. Not sure about the 1 point 8 count but it still exists for normal rules with 3 points for the head and an extra point for the count.

As for why the points did not ring up, it should not matter is Steven was down and they were just concerned. They need to score the points as they see them no after they think someone is OK. You score the points need to ring up. Steven could have gotten up right away, then what?

The way the scoring works with the triggers is that 3 out of 4 judges need to score the points within 1 second. If that does not happen then no points will ring up. That is why you need to score the points as you see them. This is to reply to Laurentkd.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would guess the score board isn't the official score anyhow, just a display.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
These were modified rules for this tournament only. Head shots were 4 points for this tournament. Not sure about the 1 point 8 count but it still exists for normal rules with 3 points for the head and an extra point for the count.

Actually, I believe the new rules from Jun 30th are that there is no more bonus point for 8 counts or knock downs.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We were told at the FIC in Chicago that there no longer was an extra point for the knock down (someone correct me if I am wrong). Thanks ATC, I know how it is "supposed" to work... I was just hoping there was some legit reason for the points not to be shown other than bias corners... guess not

Latest Discussions