SKK Combos

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My 33 is a little different. double outward tigers to the face (opening) with a rt snap kick to the groin (may account for the cat stance that i do not have) the left hand grabs the back of the head and a right elbow to the head. circle the rt arm back and give a rt thrust punch / upper cut to the plexus the rt arm circles up and the lt hand presses the head lower then a rt dropping elbow to the spine. lt thrust to the ribs then rt thrust to the temple or neck shift wieght forwards with a shuffle step and double rising elbows to the neck and ribs...this should knock the attacker off thier feet.

Respectfully,
Marlon

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Marlon,

The answer to that would be, because I have never actually kicked anyone in the groin and then performed the takedown. I have always just shown the strike and swept the person while they were still upright. I will experiment by having someone bend forward like they were hit in the groin and see if it works for me. Do you practice the takedown from the person being bent forward?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DM #33 -

).

Cat stance - Any time you draw into a cat stance you are first and formost "blocking" with that stance.

I would have to say that a cat stance is first and foremost an escape. The structural inegrity of the best cat stance will not tolerate a powerful frontal assault at all. Notice one always "draws" into a cat stance or pivots into one...take a look at the forms. We say draw as in short for draw away/ retreat/ escape into a cat stance. My thoughts...i may be wrong it has happened before and will again.

Respectfully,
Marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
DM #33

This DM brings back the DM#3 debate. Should students have knuckle strikes to the head in their material? I've been told in the past that the temple is a soft target therefore there is nothing wrong with a knuckle strike to the temple, but people move in fights and yellow belts miss.

DM 33 is taught at 2nd Degree so one could make the argument that by this time a student should be accurate, but what about the back punch on #3?

Any thoughts from anyone? Any one used a knuckle strike to the temple in a real fight or had a student use it?

I would never use a knuckle strike to the temple in a fight unless i was in some serious danger. Theory has it that if you strike the head you could break your hand.. If you ar fighting, then you are on your last resort. I'll take a broken hand over getting beat anyday. Also when doing take downs it is a lot harder to take someone down if they are bent forwards. It has to be one powerful sweep (iron Broom) to get them down. #28 - iron broom sweep, #32 iron broom sweep with a shoulder lock, They may be bent forwards from the hook kick but they are coming back up with that shoulder lock.
In Peace
Jesse

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
[ Also when doing take downs it is a lot harder to take someone down if they are bent forwards. It has to be one powerful sweep (iron Broom) to get them down. #28 - iron broom sweep, #32 iron broom sweep with a shoulder lock, They may be bent forwards from the hook kick but they are coming back up with that shoulder lock.
In Peace
Jesse[/quote]

yes but a takedown as in 3 and 31 is easier if the person is bent forwards. Direction can be everything

marlon

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM #33 -

).

Cat stance - Any time you draw into a cat stance you are first and formost "blocking" with that stance.

I would have to say that a cat stance is first and foremost an escape. The structural inegrity of the best cat stance will not tolerate a powerful frontal assault at all. Notice one always "draws" into a cat stance or pivots into one...take a look at the forms. We say draw as in short for draw away/ retreat/ escape into a cat stance. My thoughts...i may be wrong it has happened before and will again.

Respectfully,
Marlon

I would say you right on. I used the term block for lack of a better word at the time. What you are saying is exactly how I look at a cat stance.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would never use a knuckle strike to the temple in a fight unless i was in some serious danger. Theory has it that if you strike the head you could break your hand.. If you ar fighting, then you are on your last resort. I'll take a broken hand over getting beat anyday. Also when doing take downs it is a lot harder to take someone down if they are bent forwards. It has to be one powerful sweep (iron Broom) to get them down. #28 - iron broom sweep, #32 iron broom sweep with a shoulder lock, They may be bent forwards from the hook kick but they are coming back up with that shoulder lock.
In Peace
Jesse

I have always thought of an iron broom as using the shin. Is that the takedown you have on 28 and 32? Are you taking them down from the front or the back?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes but a takedown as in 3 and 31 is easier if the person is bent forwards. Direction can be everything

marlon[/quote]

Hey Marlon the takedowns I have on 28 and 32 are hawkdowns(making the opponent fall backwards). 3 and 31 are different takedowns. Are you using a hawkdown after bending your opponent forward or are you using a different takedown?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
DM #33 -

Left Iron fortress block while drawing into a left cat stance. Step forward into left halfmoon with left front punch to the nose then left hand wraps wraps behind the head as you perform right roundhouse elbow to the nose.

Ours is very similar, we use a modified fortress block, left ridgehand block. Our first strike is a left glancing palm strike to an immediate wrap and right roundhouse elbow to the nose. The rest was all the same.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

marlon

Hey Marlon the takedowns I have on 28 and 32 are hawkdowns(making the opponent fall backwards). 3 and 31 are different takedowns. Are you using a hawkdown after bending your opponent forward or are you using a different takedown?[/quote]

not at all Jesse i was just bringing uop other takedowns after a person is bent that flow with. 28 i have a low reaping of the leg / hook kick / sweep for a takedowm and 32 sort of a hawk down but more steeping back through the opponent...in the end probably the same way you have it and just taught or thought with different words.
be well
Respectfully,
Marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon, you answered to me but it was Sk101 that was bringing it up. I do not have a "hawkdown" in those combo's - I do however have it in Combo #1 and #20. When i teach the iron broom it is usually a 2 step sweeping drill-- the first movement would be the low shin sweep (my front leg) and if that misses it is a full circular sweeping motion 9continuing circle and using my back leg) hitting with the back of the leg low on opponent. This latter part is what i use in 28 and 32. And Marlon the angle of the body in #3 and #31 is essential on the ease of the takedown, but the questions at hand send the guy in the opposite direction of the bend so i like the iron broom motion that i use. Great interpretations.
oh yeah - i throw in a RT knee to stomach before the takedown in #31 - makes it even easier.
In Peace
Jesse

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Old # 2 1970
We were taught a glancing inside block that flowed into a backfist to the nose. The back fist snapped the opponents head back, slightly disrupting his balance and also disrupting his visoning by making the eyes water some.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah Jesse, sorry about the mix up.
respectfully,
marlon
btw a friend noticed i wrote "hawkdown" i do not know where that came from but i usually call it a hock down and i know others call it a leg hock takedown. Perhaps since two of my teachers were french speaking learning from Bostonians words got a little ...translated...:)

Marlon, you answered to me but it was Sk101 that was bringing it up. I do not have a "hawkdown" in those combo's - I do however have it in Combo #1 and #20. When i teach the iron broom it is usually a 2 step sweeping drill-- the first movement would be the low shin sweep (my front leg) and if that misses it is a full circular sweeping motion 9continuing circle and using my back leg) hitting with the back of the leg low on opponent. This latter part is what i use in 28 and 32. And Marlon the angle of the body in #3 and #31 is essential on the ease of the takedown, but the questions at hand send the guy in the opposite direction of the bend so i like the iron broom motion that i use. Great interpretations.
oh yeah - i throw in a RT knee to stomach before the takedown in #31 - makes it even easier.
In Peace
Jesse

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Old # 2 1970
We were taught a glancing inside block that flowed into a backfist to the nose. The back fist snapped the opponents head back, slightly disrupting his balance and also disrupting his visoning by making the eyes water some.

I like the back fist to the nose when you are taller then the opponent. I also like it for teaching circular motion when you do the large circle then back fist versus just back fisting right off the block. The large circle does take more time however.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The # combo you're describing is #24 in most east coast skk schools.

Our #24 moves inward. Step in with the left, downward crosshand block. Scissor strike to the throat. Double outward rakes to the face. Double poison thumbs to the eyes/orbits.

So we're a bit different in the West, at least where I use to train.

kempo7

White Belt
Reaction score
Our #24 moves inward. Step in with the left, downward crosshand block. Scissor strike to the throat. Double outward rakes to the face. Double poison thumbs to the eyes/orbits.

So we're a bit different in the West, at least where I use to train.

I'm on the east coast and thats how i have done 24 for the last 26 years, only with out the scissor strike to the throat.

Latest Discussions