SKK Combos

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
i let go of the a b c variations and just do Prof. I's version which was my 23a with an alternate ending. the essential move from 23b i have in a kempo / animal from Shihan
right leg steps back into a left cats stance (long step) with a Buhdda swallow (right hand palm up recieving left dropping knife hitting lung 6 and sliding/ pulling to the wrist) twist hips cw bracing left forearm in the attcking arm (careful easy elbow dislocation here...speaking from experiance it takes no power to do)step in to 11:00 with the left leg into a forward stance with a left reverse knife to the ribs (the return motion of the hips /waist giving power as well as the sinking of the center with the change of stance) right knife hand to the plexus, then simultaneaous left tiger mouth the the occiput and right tiger mouth to the throat (let the right thumb ride up to penetrate underneath the tmj) tilt the head back and step behind uke for a throw using uke's head of course. Kempo is sooo nice

Respectfully,
Marlon
My technique is VERY similar the only diff is I use an inverted palm to the head and tiger mouth the throat...step behind throw to the ground tear out the throat....

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
combination 27:

FV:

start from a guard stance. left knee comes up and the left arm goes down in a downward knifehand block to trap on the knee. deflect with the left arm and left foot does an instep kick to the groin. downward right hand shuto the collarbone on the oppponent's right side. left hand crosshand shuto to the throat. turn using the "sticky body" principle. use the right hand knifehand side to turn the body. step thru with the left foot as you strike to the spine with the right hand driving shuto.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Same on 27. On the last strike does anyone have it as driving shuto to the lower/mid spine then rise it up the spinal column? This was the way Master Taylor taught it to me, but I don't recall seeing other people doing it that way.

1st strike brings them forward into the next two strikes, the fourth strike takes advantage of head moving backward. If you hit low on the fifth strike you can take advantage of the hips moving back from the head strike.

Anyone have a particular principle(s) they consider 27 to be teaching?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM #28 - Right leg steps forward with left knife hand block and right palm to forehead. Right hand grabs the hair. Right hook kick to spine. Step right leg under opponents arm(keep your hips perpindicular and close theirs) then left hook kick to solar plexus. Right leg hawks opponent down. Grab wrist with both arms and drive your heel or ball of foot into the armpit as you pull the wrist toward you.

1st strike moves them back. 2nd strike moves them forward into the 3rd strike. 3rd strike moves them back making the takedown easier.

There is a groin strike version on this DM, but I have never understood how folding them forward would help with the takedown. Any one have a reason they have been given on that version?

Any principle(s) that you might see 28 as teaching?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Come back into the throat with a tiger mouth strike bending himover backwards...step behind him with your r/leg (horse stance) FORCE HIM TO THE GROUND...tear out the throat,

Are you removing the throat while they fall or after? If you do it while they fall you have gravity to help you. Either way your opponent won't complain.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
i have two small differences. the cat stance is done by stepping to 5:00 therefore your hips are angled to 11:00 the block and strike happen at the same time. and my reverse knife is to the plexus. I originally had it to the throat but Prof.I does it to the plezus. and with the buckle

Marlon

Re: DM 25

From a body mechanics point of view the solar plexus seems to make more sense since you just hit the throat, the solar plexus will be exposed and possably moving slightly forward, then the head is coming forward into the palm.

I have never had that way, but it sounds more biomechanically correct than the version I have.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I may have asked this before, but I will ask again as I didn't see it when I was reviewing. Anyone have an explanation for the control of the left hand on DM #10? I.E. stopping the left punch from hitting you after you block.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I may have asked this before, but I will ask again as I didn't see it when I was reviewing. Anyone have an explanation for the control of the left hand on DM #10? I.E. stopping the left punch from hitting you after you block.

Good question ... Hopefully this will involk more thoughts, I remedy the left by moving in immediately. The #2 open hand block is simultaneous with an ridgehand strike to the groin.

At least where I'm from, it is taught the first movement in #10 is stepping back with the right and blocking, then stepping in with the right, deliverying a ridgehand to the groin.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good question ... Hopefully this will involk more thoughts, I remedy the left by moving in immediately. The #2 open hand block is simultaneous with an ridgehand strike to the groin.

At least where I'm from, it is taught the first movement in #10 is stepping back with the right and blocking, then stepping in with the right, deliverying a ridgehand to the groin.

We do not step back in ours. We attack the attack, blocking the hook punch and striking groin immediately. Almost all of our Combo's that has an outward block is done in defense of a hook.
Jesse

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

You are doing a sweetheart takedown...Bringing their head to your left shoulder, using neck control reduces that. Plus, your right hand will act as a check.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

step in close 'take their center'strike the groin at the same time as the block and then shoot the right hand up immediately angling only aftert you make contact with the head this `jams`the possible follow up attack and serves as a `cover`/ guard to protect your head as you strike

respectfully,
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
combination 27:

FV:

start from a guard stance. left knee comes up and the left arm goes down in a downward knifehand block to trap on the knee. deflect with the left arm and left foot does an instep kick to the groin. downward right hand shuto the collarbone on the oppponent's right side. left hand crosshand shuto to the throat. turn using the "sticky body" principle. use the right hand knifehand side to turn the body. step thru with the left foot as you strike to the spine with the right hand driving shuto.

i have a driving knife hand to the cheek bone instead of the dropping knife to the clavicle.
i have an eblow or reverse knife to the spine or kidneys with the turn depending on distance.
driving knife to the spine or a whip like dropping palm to the cervicle spine (like throwing a baeball)

marlon

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DM #28 - Right leg steps forward with left knife hand block and right palm to forehead. Right hand grabs the hair. Right hook kick to spine. Step right leg under opponents arm(keep your hips perpindicular and close theirs) then left hook kick to solar plexus. Right leg hawks opponent down. Grab wrist with both arms and drive your heel or ball of foot into the armpit as you pull the wrist toward you.

1st strike moves them back. 2nd strike moves them forward into the 3rd strike. 3rd strike moves them back making the takedown easier.

There is a groin strike version on this DM, but I have never understood how folding them forward would help with the takedown. Any one have a reason they have been given on that version?

Any principle(s) that you might see 28 as teaching?

28's takedown has a good concept with the takedown. You pull the arm one way as you sweep the leg the other way. You are taking away their center and putting it where you want it. There's a concept in physics that relates to this but I can't remember it right now. Wrestlers do this a lot while working for takedowns. They pull you one way, and then go a different direction just to take the center away from you.

FV teaches it differently. USSD teaches the old 28 as a kempo punch technique.

left outward knifehand block and grab the wrist. Step in with a right leopard's paw to the armpit. Left hook kick to the solar plexus (or groin), right hook kick to the spine, sweep the leg and go on guard. That's it.

This may be the version of 28 with the groin strike that you are thinking of. You hit them in the groin to lower their level (fold them forward) so you can strike the spine to make their center go backwards. That stands them right back up for the takedown. They have lost their balance point to be able to defend the sweep.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
left outward knifehand block and grab the wrist. Step in with a right leopard's paw to the armpit. Left hook kick to the solar plexus (or groin), right hook kick to the spine, sweep the leg and go on guard. That's it.

This may be the version of 28 with the groin strike that you are thinking of. You hit them in the groin to lower their level (fold them forward) so you can strike the spine to make their center go backwards. That stands them right back up for the takedown. They have lost their balance point to be able to defend the sweep.

I used to have that kempo, but I didn't have the 2nd hook kick on it. It is on the USSD Blue video I believe so I will check tonight. They could always have 2 versions. Shaolin 1 is what I remember it as. It has been at least 10 years since I learned it with a name. The video version didn't have a name, they just had a few kempos on each video.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I used to have that kempo, but I didn't have the 2nd hook kick on it. It is on the USSD Blue video I believe so I will check tonight. They could always have 2 versions. Shaolin 1 is what I remember it as. It has been at least 10 years since I learned it with a name. The video version didn't have a name, they just had a few kempos on each video.

Yeah...that's the one! The only difference is that the real combination has 2 kicks instead of the one.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM #29 - Right foot steps over left with left hammer to nerve box then right cross hand chicken(Dragon's head sounds much better than chicken wrist) to temple. Right hand grabs hair and pulls opponents head back as left foot steps behind opponent then left shuto to throat taking opponent down. Tiger claws to face and groin. Rake from head to groin and groin to head. Then Reverse. Finally pivot 90 degrees CW with left rake to solar plexus and chin as right hand rakes the air behind you to throw more energy into the left and offset the left hand for balance.

Drunken Monkey Version - stumble threw your stances in the beginning and change hammer and chicken wrists to shot glass strikes.

There is a common theme between DM 15(USSD version), DM 29, and the snow leopard kempo from Professor Ingargiola. They all use the right twist stance to get behind the opponent.

Strike 1 brings the head down into strike 2, 2nd strike makes the take down easier by scrambling the brain and allowing you to push the opponent's head toward 4:30. The hair pull exposes the throat and begins breaking the balance. Strike 4 drives the opponent into the floor. Hitting the groin and face simultaneously doesn't allow the body to react way it normally would to resist damage(Similar to P3). There are 5 "air strikes" in rapid succession 2 Groin strikes and 3 solar plexus hits. We really need a throat strike in their to make things more interesting.

Does anyone know if Professor I teaches this as meridian clearing?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think DM 29 is the 2nd DM to pull hair not including a possible hair pull on 26 which I won't explain. I don't think we went over scientific hair pulling on 21 so maybe now would be a good time.

Always pull against the roots if possible. The front hair should be pulled toward the back and the back toward the front. Left toward right and right toward left. When you pull against the root it is much more painful and gives more control.

On the top of the head place your palm flat presses out as much air as possible then grip into a tight fist.

Since we are grabbing the hair anyway why not use a left ridge hand to the opponents right temple so you can grab the forward hair. You would need thre right to do the takedown, but would that be much more difficult?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah...that's the one! The only difference is that the real combination has 2 kicks instead of the one.

I might be way off, but I would guess United would remove that kick for safety. With the first kick possibly making the person go backward toward the 2nd kick they may have been worried that someone might not stop there kick before permanent damage was done.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
i have a driving knife hand to the cheek bone instead of the dropping knife to the clavicle.
i have an eblow or reverse knife to the spine or kidneys with the turn depending on distance.
driving knife to the spine or a whip like dropping palm to the cervicle spine (like throwing a baeball)

marlon

I would think a cheek bone strike would open up the throat especially if you were pushing their head back with the strike.

The strike to spine or kidney seems strange since you just got their head to move back and their hips are probably moving forward.

I like the last move since you just struck low the head should be coming back right into the whipping palm.

Marlon let me know if I am being a pain with these questions.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
it is not skeletal freezing just positioning that makes counter attacking not flow easily. Plus we end up fighting from the side which not everyone trains to do...an SK advantage that i enjoy.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Hello what is skeletal freezing? Above was from DM 13 conversation.

Latest Discussions