SKK Combos

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would never use a knuckle strike to the temple in a fight unless i was in some serious danger. Theory has it that if you strike the head you could break your hand.. If you ar fighting, then you are on your last resort. I'll take a broken hand over getting beat anyday. Also when doing take downs it is a lot harder to take someone down if they are bent forwards. It has to be one powerful sweep (iron Broom) to get them down. #28 - iron broom sweep, #32 iron broom sweep with a shoulder lock, They may be bent forwards from the hook kick but they are coming back up with that shoulder lock.
In Peace
Jesse
I think the head/temple are okay as long as you're controlling the force of the strike...Personally I strike the ridge directly under the eye on #3 & #2...I use a snap strike controlling the amount of force so not to be too excessive.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the head/temple are okay as long as you're controlling the force of the strike...Personally I strike the ridge directly under the eye on #3 & #2...I use a snap strike controlling the amount of force so not to be too excessive.

on #2 I am almost back fisting/uppercutting the jaw. I have to add here that i do #2 combo of off a left/right combo w/ the left foot of the attacker being forward. I do like your contact point in #3 though. Will def. have to play around with it tommorow.
Jesse

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The combination #24 that I was originally taught is the same as 14 Kempo's. I find that it works really well against a front kick.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our #24 moves inward. Step in with the left, downward crosshand block. Scissor strike to the throat. Double outward rakes to the face. Double poison thumbs to the eyes/orbits.

So we're a bit different in the West, at least where I use to train.

We call that one #14. but no scissor strike. And finish with a front ball kick to SP.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
It has quite a while since the last post -

DM # 34 Right leg steps back into left half moon stance w/ #3 & #4 palm or crane blocks. Right front ball kick to solar plexus. Right then left rolling chicken wrists to the eyes(this part was removed on the 1st version I had). Right crane's beak to right temple and left crane's beak to left side of neck. Right hand pulls opponent's head down as left knee strikes solar plexus. Left elbow to spine as you land facing 3:00. Left hand lays across left side of opponent's neck as you spin cw toward 9:00. Right rear elbow.Right rising shuto to throat as you turn cw to 3:00 then left palm to face.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM #35

Sun step cw to left side horse stance with right iron fortress block. Right hand slides to opponents wrist. Left palm to elbow then temple. Left side kick to ribs. Cross or spin out.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Handsword...what is the scissor's kick combination then?
Years ago my #14 was the jumping sissors kick...It has morphed into a totally different technique...
Step left similar to #18, left rising wrist block with a left snap kick to the "forward" knee..(Here's where it can change depending on which foot is forward)If the right leg is foward then the right foot snaps an instep kick to the groin/ If the left leg is foward then alter the kick to a ball kick to the lower ribs, the last kick will be another right ball kick to a higher target...depending on how your second kick hit..assumably you have bent him over so the last kick can hit the head...If you hit him to hard to high and he is leaning away....get creative....

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Years ago my #14 was the jumping sissors kick...It has morphed into a totally different technique...
Step left similar to #18, left rising wrist block with a left snap kick to the "forward" knee..(Here's where it can change depending on which foot is forward)If the right leg is foward then the right foot snaps an instep kick to the groin/ If the left leg is foward then alter the kick to a ball kick to the lower ribs, the last kick will be another right ball kick to a higher target...depending on how your second kick hit..assumably you have bent him over so the last kick can hit the head...If you hit him to hard to high and he is leaning away....get creative....

I've seen this version somewhere, or a close relative to it.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
ERRRRRR
SHould be step right...not left...sorry folks!!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If that's you're #14, what number is the one with a jumping scissor kick? (the other people's #14)

Hmmm....

I'm only green belt, don't know them all yet... but I am near 100% sure that we do not have a combo with a jumping scissor kick.

Our version of SKK is fairly trimmed down, 26 punch combos, 15 grab, 10 each for knife, gun, club, and 10 forms (5 pinan 5 kata). That's to 1st degree anyway, more kata after that...

So there are a lot of combos we don't do.

But I like reading about the ones we don't have, it's a good opportunity for learning. "what is the principle(s) taught here, do we get the same in something else that we still do?" Usually yes, but I don't know about jumping scissor kick, not sure that is anywhere in our curriculuum. Which I am grateful for, being 41 and all LOL

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our version of SKK is fairly trimmed down, 26 punch combos, 15 grab, 10 each for knife, gun, club, and 10 forms (5 pinan 5 kata). That's to 1st degree anyway, more kata after that...

So there are a lot of combos we don't do.

Where I was, to Black Belt, there are:
- Combo/DMs: 22 (1-20, 26)
- Forms: 14 (Pinan 1-5, Kata 1-6, Stature of the Crane, 2-Man Fist Set Northern and Southern)
- Punch Techniques/Kempos: 30
- Weapon Defense/Grabs/Locks: 35+ (5 stab/5 slash/5 back slash knives, 10 overhead/5 side/5 back clubs, various grabs and locks)

But I like reading about the ones we don't have, it's a good opportunity for learning. "what is the principle(s) taught here, do we get the same in something else that we still do?" Usually yes, but I don't know about jumping scissor kick, not sure that is anywhere in our curriculuum. Which I am grateful for, being 41 and all LOL

I'm 47+ and I can do the scissor kick, however, I'm not too sure the back kick portion of that scissor kick is there anymore ... LOL ... but I do know the front kick portion finds it's target more times than not. So, you can do it!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a tough one to write up, but here goes ...

#36 -- (USSD, San Diego version)
- Fade back, left cat stance, upward cross block (right over left)
- Step out with left, deliver left dropping palm strike to the armpit, ribcage area, while right hand traps
- Left rises back up the arm to trap, right glancing palm to ribs, right glancing backfist to kidney
- Right leg swings through as right arm pulls back, hock opponents right leg while striking with right tiger's mouth to throat
- Right heel kick to opponents right ribcage
- Right axe kick to opponents left ribcage
- Step down on other side of opponent with right foot, kneel on ribcage with left knee
- Jump towards opponents head, turning 90d CW, landing with feet on sides of head
- Grasp opponents jaw, pulling chin up
- Deliver immortal man strikes to eyes

This is one that I can't see myself doing in a street altercation, other than the hock down, or dropping a knee on an opponent. I can't wait to go over this one with my new instructor to see the differences and applications that he applies.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 47+ and I can do the scissor kick, however, I'm not too sure the back kick portion of that scissor kick is there anymore ... LOL ... but I do know the front kick portion finds it's target more times than not. So, you can do it!

I'll be 56 next month, and even I can do it (where I learned it, we called it the steeping stool kick, tho). This is the only kick I teach that has both feet leaving the ground, and that's only as a finishing blow and/or for adjustment to a safer distance. In all fairness, when I first saw it I thought it was ridiculous for the street. Now, I'd use it in right circumstances.

I'm enjoying the thread, even tho I'm not really qualified to add much. So I hope you keep it up, guys and girls. :ultracool

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kidswarrior,
I'm glad to see that there is someone else on this forum who is also a half centurian plus.
:piratesku

I know off topic.
:rules:

Latest Discussions