SKK Combos

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would think a cheek bone strike would open up the throat especially if you were pushing their head back with the strike.

The strike to spine or kidney seems strange since you just got their head to move back and their hips are probably moving forward.

I like the last move since you just struck low the head should be coming back right into the whipping palm.

Marlon let me know if I am being a pain with these questions.

i love questions. they are a good way for me to learn. a good strike to the kidney will cause the back to arch brining the head back. The spine does have the problem you mentioned so a driving knife works better than the palm strike.

marlon

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
i love questions. they are a good way for me to learn. a good strike to the kidney will cause the back to arch brining the head back. The spine does have the problem you mentioned so a driving knife works better than the palm strike.

marlon

I wasn't questioning the palm strike. I actually like it after the kidney strike version.

I was pointing out that on the shuto strike to back of neck version instead of kidney your following manipulation theory since you hit the throat just before. Not saying that one is right or wrong just creating discussion of the small details.

Any thoughts from anyone on advantage and disadvantages of trapping the hand on a self defense technique.

A hand trap on the inside should always pull an opponent off balance since you have tied up one hand with your two.

Does the trap make the groin kick easier since they can't move back as easily?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
We shift wieght to the right and the hands move with you and only slightly raised for protection and power. The strikes i have are to the arm and to the right cheek bone striking slightly upwards. The step is extremely important for positioning, power and distruption of the attacker's platform to counter. After the arm wrap we do a tiger mouth to the throat and continue to walk towards 10:30 for the takedown..no leg hock (the power of this move can be seen in a Segal movie...something with him on a train...the hock is not necessary. at the end we brace the arm on the left shin , thrust to the head and spear poke to the arm pit.
the shift at the beginning i look at more as angling for attack than an escape but also good for that.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Regarding DM 20 - Is this a Professor I Variation also or from elsewhere?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM30 - Drop like a rear slap out while moving forward and performing right heel kick to groin. Turn hips toward 9:00 opening legs to scissor position. Right goes toward 9:00 while right goes toward 3:00. Right leg presses back of knee while left leg presses the ankle. Hold your weight on two arms and 1 leg then right axe kick to kidney. 1/2 roll toward 3:00 then downward roundhouse to ceribellum.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
DM30 - Drop like a rear slap out while moving forward and performing right heel kick to groin. Turn hips toward 9:00 opening legs to scissor position. Right goes toward 9:00 while right goes toward 3:00. Right leg presses back of knee while left leg presses the ankle. Hold your weight on two arms and 1 leg then right axe kick to kidney. 1/2 roll toward 3:00 then downward roundhouse to ceribellum.
That's pretty much the way I have it.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
#30 - we start from the ground. Left front kick to knee, person bends over, left ball roundhouse to head. then scissor take down roll all the way over RT kick to persons head. I dont see why a kempo guy would fall to the ground to do this technique so we do it as a technique that we are already on the ground and this is how we have to defend ourselves.
Jesse

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
#30 - we start from the ground. Left front kick to knee, person bends over, left ball roundhouse to head. then scissor take down roll all the way over RT kick to persons head. I dont see why a kempo guy would fall to the ground to do this technique so we do it as a technique that we are already on the ground and this is how we have to defend ourselves.
Jesse

It's not ment to be a technique where you drop to the ground to take the guy out. It's a "what if?" kind of technique where something went wrong. You might have tripped over something behind you or slipped on some ice. For whatever reason, you ended up on your butt. This combo is teaching you how to use your legs to defend yourself if you ever found yourself on the ground.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jesse
Mine is a little different. we do a little jumping side thrust kick to the knee. drop to the grouond and do the take down finishing with the roundhouse to the head. I, too, feel that this is about using your legs on the ground and masterI teaches it that way but... to date i have not changed it
marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not ment to be a technique where you drop to the ground to take the guy out. It's a "what if?" kind of technique where something went wrong. You might have tripped over something behind you or slipped on some ice. For whatever reason, you ended up on your butt. This combo is teaching you how to use your legs to defend yourself if you ever found yourself on the ground.

Ok, but when doing the technique do you have the attacker come in with the front punch or are you already on the ground. I was taught it similiar to Marlon where the person comes in with a punch, you slide into him and do the upward side kick. the other version taught to me by Master Fred Bagley was a flying scissor take down. I now only teach this with the person already on the ground.
Jesse

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you removing the throat while they fall or after? If you do it while they fall you have gravity to help you. Either way your opponent won't complain.

I keep "hands on" until they reach the ground....the tear could be twist, pull, etc....

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, but when doing the technique do you have the attacker come in with the front punch or are you already on the ground. I was taught it similiar to Marlon where the person comes in with a punch, you slide into him and do the upward side kick. the other version taught to me by Master Fred Bagley was a flying scissor take down. I now only teach this with the person already on the ground.
Jesse
This is a technique I really never liked..shame on me I know...WIth that in mind here is my take considering I don't like falling (especially at my age), once I get my First Alert maybe things will change......

Left covering palm guiding it into a r/dragons tail wrap...I "get heavy" on their arm falling backwards letting their weight slow down the impact of me hitting the ground... this pulls them forward and off balance, my r/foot does a forward snake type kick to the groin, sissor their forward foot (r/f) the sissor is done with my r/foot striking behind thier knee as my l/foot is bracing their ankle. I roll cw with the takedown forcing them to the ground on their stomach...I continue rolling using my left leg to hold pressure on thier foot developing resistance for a release to kick them in the back of the head (using the instep)....roll off into a standing guard....

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM #31

Pull into left cat stance with left whipping palm to wrist followed by right tiger's claw to nose. spin cw to the ground. As they fall hit them with left/right/left tiger claws then driving tiger's claw while they are on the ground.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
USSD has a different version of this. It recently was changed to this:

left hand downward palm block to the wrist, right downward palm to the nose. grab the head. left inverted tigers mouth to the throat. using the head, rotate it clockwise till you are back to back, with their head on your shoulder. take them down. right heal kick to the ribs, right heal kick to the solar, right axe kick to the opposite side of the ribs. thrust punch to the face and groin as you kneel on them with the left leg.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
L/cross palm block, r/downward cranes' sword (using the edge of the arm in addition to the shuto) to the right side of the opponents neck. The left hand moves the punch outside of center, shove forward w/ simultaneous crane's swords: R to the same area again as the L strikes into the R/hip groin area. Right arm encircles the neck from back to front cw. Controlling the neck twist continuously in the same direction while turning your upper body cw 90 degrees. Using the left arem "guide" don't try and lift the opponents leg OVER. You'll end up facing the 3:00 position... As you Guide the leg over that L hand will be high as the R hand is still cradling the head. The L hand rakes up the face (they will be feet away from you) as the R hand circles around and delivers a sword to the heart. Retreat into a guard position.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
left step to 11:00 with a left dropping knife the the attacking arm then a right dropping knife to the collar bone (attacker's right side). left tiger claw to the groin then the right hand presses on the back of the neck. Pivot cw and rotate your hand in a cw motion = takedown finish with a left - right - left tiger claws to the face from a cat stance

marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
left step to 11:00 with a left outward open hand block (#2) and shift ccw into a forward stance facing 11:00 with a leaopard paw to the brachial nerve plexus under the arm or through the shoulder. (the leopard paw strike acts as a cover if you hide your head with the strike.
Both hand grasp the attackers right / attacking wrist as the right leg steps through to 11:30 then with a ccw movement give a left spinning hook kick the the groin . replace left foot to the previous position then step back through the attackers legs with the right leg while bringing both your armsover your shoulder down the your right hip = takedown
right front ball kick to the ribs then right axe kick to the left side of uke's neck turn ccw still holding the arm and left axe kick towards the right side of the neck = damage to the arm ..cross and cover

Respectfully,
Marlon

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I may have asked this before, but I'll ask again. Why hit the groin before a takedown. It seems to me the opponent would lean forward. Is there a way to hit the groin without the person leaning forward?

32 is a good example of locking strikes. Sometimes you hit to lock the opponent in place or you hit and then grab to lock the opponent in place.
This is sometimes called anchoring, the body must absorb more energy.

On 32 after you drop the first axe kick to the neck you can turn the foot sideways so it is placed along the side of the head. When second axe kick hits the neck there is where for the opponent to move. The neck is stuck when the strike lands.

28 & 32 both employee hook kicks, but they are short hook kicks. The heel comes toward your rear end. When you do a regular hook the heel being brought to the rear means you glance off the target. The larger the circle the hook travels the more power it has. The smaller the circle the quicker it arrives.

The hook kick can have at least 3 striking surfaces. The heel which does the most damage, the ball which has more range, or the flat of the foot for takedowns.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM #33 -

Left Iron fortress block while drawing into a left cat stance. Step forward into left halfmoon with left front punch to the nose then left hand wraps wraps behind the head as you perform right roundhouse elbow to the nose. Pull opponent's head facing the ground as you perform right rising ridgehand to throat. Right downward shuto to the top back of the neck. Left thrust punch to the ribs then right thrust to temple(palm is nice also).

Cat stance - Any time you draw into a cat stance you are first and formost "blocking" with that stance. The traditional block on the technique should not be needed it is only a secondary block and there to move the opponents arm out of your way.

The cat stance allows you to spring toward the opponent creating a large amount energy.

A front punch has less energy than a back punch when delivered to a target that is higher than your shoulder. A backpunch has less energy then a front punch when delivered below your own shoulder height. A front punch has more range than a back punch. A back punch is faster since it has no rotation. A punch that rotates has more power. What determines the punch you use is target shape(how well the punch fits to that target), the distance of the opponent, and the time allowed to strike.

The front punch and elbow are striking the same area twice so there is a need to really flow from the front punch to the roundhouse elbow.

This technique employees bouncing. You use the energy from the rebound of one strike to drive you into another strike. Elbow to ridge hand then ridge hand to shuto. Thrust punch to thrust punch.

It also employees the theory of body mechanics. Hitting one area which then directs the opponent into the next strike. Ridge hand to throat as opponent body lifts up you perform downward shuto.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
DM #33

This DM brings back the DM#3 debate. Should students have knuckle strikes to the head in their material? I've been told in the past that the temple is a soft target therefore there is nothing wrong with a knuckle strike to the temple, but people move in fights and yellow belts miss.

DM 33 is taught at 2nd Degree so one could make the argument that by this time a student should be accurate, but what about the back punch on #3?

Any thoughts from anyone? Any one used a knuckle strike to the temple in a real fight or had a student use it?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I may have asked this before, but I'll ask again. Why hit the groin before a takedown. It seems to me the opponent would lean forward. Is there a way to hit the groin without the person leaning forward?

I do not understand why you would not want them to bend. Once thier body alignment is disrupted it is much easier to take them down.

marlon

Latest Discussions