Self Traning and Ranking Group

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Rudy:

For starters I wonder if you would find time to take a look at the grappling string and see if there is some fundamental technique that you believe a practitioner would be expected to be familiar with that I may have overlooked? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

K

kwanjang

No problem Stuart:
I will get it off to you and Bruce as soon as I get a chance. I looked over Bruce's site, and I saw that he has done quite a bit of work. My stuff is mostly in Korean, and it only has the sets of techniques, strikes, kicks etc. It is NOT a thing where every technique is explained. They are the sheets I mark tests on. Hope that is what you are looking for. I need your address, as well as that of Bruce in order to send this stuff out.

S

Skitzo

This is a really interesting discussion on standards and testing....it falls into a problem I'm having right now. I've trained in TKD, Karate, Ju-jitsu and Aikido.... nothing seemed to "fit" until I tried Hapkido. So I moved to South Korea for a couple years and trained - I earned my second degree and returned to Ontario.

Since I've returned (6 years now) I've been training/teaching a mixture of Karate, TKD and Hapkido. However, I'd rather concentrate on Hapkido. The Karate school which I teach at is really open to "new" styles so they've given me a Friday slot in the schedule.

So....now, I want a "standarized" Hapkido prg where I can take my students to other clubs and everything will be similar. I'm getting really frustrated. There are a bunch of TKD schools which teach a few wrist locks and call it Hapkido. When I was living in Korea, my gym had each move for each level on posters on the wall.... I should have copied it out. My problem is I earned my second degree years ago - so I know all kind of locks/falls/punches kicks and throws etc. however, I don't know for which level (belt) each one goes with. Would anyone happen to have the requirements for each belt written down somewhere?

I did a six belt system - but I need the official testing requirments for each level.

Can anyone help? [email protected]

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Skitzo:

The WHF uses a 10-guep ranking system employing the Confucian Model for teaching. When I started teaching I had reorganized the same WHF material into a progressive Academic system. I share this because the curriculum is published on my website for everyone to see and use. I use four ranks--- white, yellow, blue and brown. I have no idea if any of this will be of help but if it gets you started towards organizing your curriculum it will have been put to good use, yes? Give it a try. Its not like there is a charge. :) If you have any questions you know where to find me. ;-)

www.midwesthapkido.com

Best Wishes,

Bruce

B

Black Belt FC

Skitzo said:
This is a really interesting discussion on standards and testing....it falls into a problem I'm having right now. I've trained in TKD, Karate, Ju-jitsu and Aikido.... nothing seemed to "fit" until I tried Hapkido. So I moved to South Korea for a couple years and trained - I earned my second degree and returned to Ontario.

Since I've returned (6 years now) I've been training/teaching a mixture of Karate, TKD and Hapkido. However, I'd rather concentrate on Hapkido. The Karate school which I teach at is really open to "new" styles so they've given me a Friday slot in the schedule.

So....now, I want a "standarized" Hapkido prg where I can take my students to other clubs and everything will be similar. I'm getting really frustrated. There are a bunch of TKD schools which teach a few wrist locks and call it Hapkido. When I was living in Korea, my gym had each move for each level on posters on the wall.... I should have copied it out. My problem is I earned my second degree years ago - so I know all kind of locks/falls/punches kicks and throws etc. however, I don't know for which level (belt) each one goes with. Would anyone happen to have the requirements for each belt written down somewhere?

I did a six belt system - but I need the official testing requirments for each level.

Can anyone help? [email protected]
Visit my website HAPKIDO.CN and click on pictures/forms
There on bottom of page you will see Hapkido requirements,
also picture animation files
my program has high success and student retention. If you wish I can supply you with a complete BBFC Hapkido program by request and agreedment -email me at [email protected]

regards
Lugo

pizarrothro.jpg

S

Skitzo

Thanks guys!!! That's great. Your programs are different from mine... but nothing extreme. I've found belt requirements for about 3 schools now. What I hope to do is take the most common elements of all three which should create a fairly standard system.

The big difference I'm seeing now is the belt systems... Mine is a 6 belt system...others are 4... and others are WAY more. Now, here's the problem I'm having with this. I've talked to a few schools that have THREE stripes per belt (others have 2). If one is teaching kids, would parents not get annoyed at the cost of testing 2-3 times for each belt?

Hapki!

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm outa my depth on that question. I know that my teacher uses a 10-guep system but I left that behind quite a while ago. For me its one rank-one test.
I have four guep ranks and that means 4 tests over 5 years to make Cho-dan. Then again, I don't teach to support myself so others may have a different view of testing. FWIW.

BTW: To: Skitzo

It may be worthwhile to connect with someone who can sorta peer over your shoulders while you do your work. I am probably a bit too traditional for most peoples' tastes but there are a number of very progressive folks in the Hapkido community. I am not talking about subsuming under an organization. Rather I am recommending having a kind of mentor to bump your ideas up against as you organize your curriculum. Its the old "two heads are better than" thing, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

S

Skitzo

I think you hit the nail on the head with that last statement. The gym I volunteer at is one in which the owner does not support himself with. I've heard it said that for blackbelts, "the back door of the Dojo is always bigger than the front". In my own experience this is true. When I trained in Korea, as soon as you earned your first degree, you stopped paying gym fees. You are now part of that family - so it's your job to teach some classes and help promote the school in the community. You also represent that school at tournaments - which is why all the uniforms have the school branding on them.

However, when I returned, I was teaching at one school 3 times a week AND paying gym fees AND the owner wanted me to do all kinds of extra work AND I had to wear HIS colours AND I was responsible for all the kids..... for all this I didn't get taught a thing.

The school I am presently at is run by a man who makes his $$ from the computer. So he set up the gym for his sons to train at. Then a few blackbelts wandered in from other schools and he said: "Cool, come on in; train here as much as you like as often as you want. Don't pay me, just teach one class a week - AND here's a key to the gym" So, now we have blackbelts from various styles (the primary style is Karate) and it's all based on mutual respect for the particular style. We're getting all kinds of students now - we even had to knock down a wall last weekend to make room.

P.S. -> I think everyone should check out the Informative site Master Lugo has set up: http://www.midwesthapkido.com/ He uses a 4 belt system before black.

I would love to see other people's programs.

S

Skitzo

Bruce,

Yep... I agree with you. I would love to have some assistance with this program I am developing. My style is also very traditional and I'm noticing many people prefer the "Combat Hapkido" - Unfortunatley, I don't have anyone to look over my shoulder. So, at this point, I hope to establish a small program, not grade for belts or certificates (I'm only starting out a Friday night self defence class) - then once I start the system up, see what the interest is. If there is significant interest I will teach them the most standarized program I can (which is what I'm presently researching) THEN, I will attempt to affialiate myself to other schools or organizations (not leave my school, just share techniques and compete)

Am I on the right track?

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is Bruce's work and site, not master Lugo's.

"P.S. -> I think everyone should check out the Informative site Master Lugo has set up: http://www.midwesthapkido.com/ He uses a 4 belt system before black."

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say Kudos to Bruce for putting the Minimal Standards up on his website...Good job!! Good explanations,too!:)

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Skitzo:

"......If there is significant interest I will teach them the most standarized program I can (which is what I'm presently researching) THEN, I will attempt to affialiate myself to other schools or organizations (not leave my school, just share techniques and compete)

Am I on the right track?......"

I have to give you a "qualified Yes". The reason I say that is that what is more important than what you teach is HOW you teach it. Many of the actual differences in the Hapkido arts have very little to do with differences in execution of a technique. Most techniques are pretty similar in this respect. However, what you will find is that though a technique is almost done indentical among various Hapkido arts, different teachers, kwans and organizations place different emphasis on different landmarks, goals and purposes. Even in related practices there are subtle variations. For instance, I teach traditional YMK Hapkido. The art I teach proceeds from GM Myung and the WHF as the WHF evolved out of the original kwan. That said I tend to place more emphasis on Hapkido as a Mu-do (martial way) than does GM Myung though he still has that emphasis to a lesser degree. KSW and HRD also teach Hapkido arts as a Mu-Do but place different weights on different methods and weapons.

My suggestion about the mentor was less about the technical approach than organizing the teaching and learning priorities you have for your students. Questions like, "if my student is successful in their training what will they look/act like?" are the sorts of questions this raises. Are weapons as important, less important, more important than empty hand? What teaching approach are you most comfortable with? Will you have media to fall back on, or do you want to use forms to aid in understanding and comprehension? If you don't want media OR forms, what method will you use to help the student understand and retain material in an organized fashion? Remember the old English class writing thing---- "who", "what", "where", "when" "how" and "why"? Same thing in teaching a martial art. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Paul:

Thanks for the kudo-s. All the same I am getting feedback that the descriptions are somewhat difficult to understand. If folks want to rewrite, or suggest editing for the descriptions such that they might be a little more user-friendly please don't hesitate. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Not trying to nit pick here, but why Bruce have you drawn information from Kuk Sool Won and Hwa Rang Do? They are not Hapkido - not because you and I say, but because THEY say. By establishing a minimal standard with organizations that are NOT at all Hapkido, do you not feel that you muddy the water and create an even more generic term for "Hapkido"?

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Kevin:

Actually both Kuk Sul Won and Hwa Rang Do originally started their existence as Kuk Sool Hapkido and Hwa Rang Hapkido respectively. They are takes on Chois' material (among others) just like Ji's material, Moo Woong Kim and others. I don't know that I would cut them out of the picture any more than I would cut any other practitioner out of the picture. Now, if you want to take a more exclusive tack with the Standards Institute that you spoke of perhaps it might make sense. However, for the purposes of the Minimal Standard, if HRD, KSW, ICHF, Ji, Kim and the Hapkido kid down the street use, say, a Front Snap Kick, then I think it is appropriate to use "skill with a FSK" as a way of determining if a person wanting to participate safely and effectively in a Hapkido event, or discussion, might be able to do so. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Dear Kevin:

Actually both Kuk Sul Won and Hwa Rang Do originally started their existence as Kuk Sool Hapkido and Hwa Rang Hapkido respectively. They are takes on Chois' material (among others) just like Ji's material, Moo Woong Kim and others.

Hello all,

Bruce, again, I do understand that, but these organizations now state rather emphatically that they are not Hapkido. So would it make more sense to draw from Hapkido organziations and if someone from these groups wanted to join, they could see you standard as a purely Hapkido one?

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am afraid we are comparing very different approaches. The things you are speaking of proceed from very commercial and politically-charged positions. I guarentee that Lee will never admit that a significant portion of his material relates to Chois', and I am quite sure the same can be said about Seo and his brother. That is not the point of the minimal standard. I'm having a hard time believing that after having stated so many times, on so many strings what I am working to accomplish you are still working to put a political spin on things. If you want to emphasize the differences among the various strains and practitioners of the Hapkido arts noone is saying that you can't. For my part I simply do not see the point in it when we can go farther by stressing our similarities. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions