Self Traning and Ranking Group

OP
A

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Dear Kevin:

I meant what I said before, and I mean it still. I think you and I are excellent models to demonstrate that folks in the Hapkido community can disagree---- even passionately---- but still work towards the good of the Hapkido arts. You know I will continue to play to my strengthes and you can rightly expect that I look for you to do the same.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Bruce

............I think you and I are excellent models to demonstrate that folks in the Hapkido community can disagree............

Leave the mushy stuff at home off the site. Ha:) ha ha!

OP
A

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Dear Stuart:

"......I'm for moderation that's why I think minimum standards are a good start. The problem is some may have the belt without the skills then what?
Sir I know your a 2nd Dan were you learned but in my school you have the skill of a 6th gup sorry you can were a green belt here.
Someone from Combat HKD won't have a clue what do do in my school.
How can moderation help this or that person's feelings, problem, attitude about how Master so & so's a jerk and I'll never go to his school because he says I'm a green belt, etc?....................."

I guess we two have a very different ideas on relating to folks within the context of the Hapkido community.

For me, my priorities are a little different.

First off I really don't care what a persons' rank is. Its just not that important. What I need to know is what his skill level is and those two things are not necessarily the same. Yes, I know that the rank ought to give some idea of what a persons' skills might be, but we both know that can't be counted on. So instead of asking what a persons' rank is, I would ask if he is comfortable with the four basic breakfalls. I might even ask him if he is OK with air rolls. Then I would make sure he has a partner who is at about the same skill level.

Maybe the seminar is focusing on spin-kicks and the guy I am talking to has no idea of how to do a spin kick cuz his style of Hapkido doesn't do them. Would I put him with someone who can do spin-kicks? No. I put him with someone of comparable skill level and let him push the edges of his envelope with that person.

Lets take your example of an ICHF person. OK, so he has no clue about what to do. What are your options? Certainly you can embarass him by demanding that he perform only you material and the way you do it. You can also find out where you share common ground, see how he does his technique compared to how you do your technique and see if there are some ways you can help each other come out of the best part of yourselves---- together.

The question comes down to whether you can meet people on a common ground, or if the only reason you want to get together with others is to have someone to convert to your way of thinking or laud your way of doing things over. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Bruce

You missed my point.

In a seminar I would act as you described of course.

But if 1st Dan from Red Dragon Hapkido came to you and he learned from Joe Hapkido and wanted a rank from you or rank recognition and they didn't have the skills of a YMK 5th gup? Or someone from JP's hapkido.

Would you start them over, Now what?

My point is peoples referances as to what a BB is are different just as peoples ideas of what Hapkido is are different. Everyone has different standards.

What do you do to even the field in the Hapkido Community or live and let live? Who Cares?

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Stuart:

"......But if 1st Dan from Red Dragon Hapkido came to you and he learned from Joe Hapkido and wanted a rank from you or rank recognition and they didn't have the skills of a YMK 5th gup? Or someone from JP's hapkido....."

Once again we are talking about two very different things. You are talking about ranks and requirements. I am talking about commonalities. You are asking about recognition. I am talking about communication. I think we have to be very very careful not to confuse these two braod areas. They are two VERY different concerns with VERY different intentions and goals. Let me take them one at a time.

Scenerio One

A ICHF person comes to a seminar and wants to participate. In my mind I bump what he does up against a basic skill set that I know he would need to have to participate fully and safely. Most people I know do this informally anyhow, all I am suggesting is that we formalize what we are already doing so that less well-known practitioners from, say, Joes' Hapkido and Plumbing Supply can get the most out of an experience without hurting or getting hurt.

In addition, while the ICHF person is out on the floor he may have a question about "unbalancing" as it relates to "4 Directions throw" even though we might be doing a version of "Reverse 180 throw". He may have concerns about "transferring authority" or "maintaining authority". If we have common ground for discussing these issues we can talk more freely about the concerns rather than spend ten minutes trying to understand each others nomenclature.

Scenerio Two

A ICHF person wants to know what securing grading in the WHF or the YMK requires. Arguably it would be easier to answer this question if we, once again, had common ground. The answer, however, is more specific to bumping his experience up against a specific curriculum and finding out where he would stand. Having had this experience a few times I can say rather comfortably that most ICHF people already know about 30% of the YMK Hapkido curriculum at any given level. This does not keep a person from participating in a seminar and usually puts him ahead of most of the others on the mat (who may often be TKD/TSD people looking for a HKD experience). To answer your question, though, I already have a program for dealing with this need that has worked extraordinarily well, but thats not what the Minimal Standards Project is about. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
A

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Dear Stuart:

"......But if 1st Dan from Red Dragon Hapkido came to you and he learned from Joe Hapkido and wanted a rank from you or rank recognition and they didn't have the skills of a YMK 5th gup? Or someone from JP's hapkido....."

Once again we are talking about two very different things. You are talking about ranks and requirements. I am talking about commonalities. You are asking about recognition. I am talking about communication. I think we have to be very very careful not to confuse these two braod areas. They are two VERY different concerns with VERY different intentions and goals. Let me take them one at a time.

Scenerio One

A ICHF person comes to a seminar and wants to participate. In my mind I bump what he does up against a basic skill set that I know he would need to have to participate fully and safely. Most people I know do this informally anyhow, all I am suggesting is that we formalize what we are already doing so that less well-known practitioners from, say, Joes' Hapkido and Plumbing Supply can get the most out of an experience without hurting or getting hurt.

In addition, while the ICHF person is out on the floor he may have a question about "unbalancing" as it relates to "4 Directions throw" even though we might be doing a version of "Reverse 180 throw". He may have concerns about "transferring authority" or "maintaining authority". If we have common ground for discussing these issues we can talk more freely about the concerns rather than spend ten minutes trying to understand each others nomenclature.

Scenerio Two

A ICHF person wants to know what securing grading in the WHF or the YMK requires. Arguably it would be easier to answer this question if we, once again, had common ground. The answer, however, is more specific to bumping his experience up against a specific curriculum and finding out where he would stand. Having had this experience a few times I can say rather comfortably that most ICHF people already know about 30% of the YMK Hapkido curriculum at any given level. This does not keep a person from participating in a seminar and usually puts him ahead of most of the others on the mat (who may often be TKD/TSD people looking for a HKD experience). To answer your question, though, I already have a program for dealing with this need that has worked extraordinarily well, but thats not what the Minimal Standards Project is about. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Ok got ya!

Latest Discussions