Self defense against people who don't wear masks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just curious. What are you guys doing to keep yourself safe in these times?

D

Deleted member 39746

Pretend to cough, works like a treat.

There isnt a legal perogitive for it though, same with if its crowded, bemusingly though i think people are walking purposely closer to each other now, when they are specfically advised and told not to do it than before this. (shouldnt really be that close to somone to begin with anyway, just as respect for said persons space)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pretend to cough, works like a treat.

There isnt a legal perogitive for it though, same with if its crowded, bemusingly though i think people are walking purposely closer to each other now, when they are specfically advised and told not to do it than before this. (shouldnt really be that close to somone to begin with anyway, just as respect for said persons space)
There's a saying that is Norwegians are going to be happy when the 6' social distancing is over. Then we can go back to our normal 15'.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i take it you mean self defence from the virus rather than SD from people not wearing mask who attack you

personally if i left home with the intent of attacking people a mask seems a good idea to help animity

the whole thing has descend into chaos here, they change the rules so often that im not at all sure that many people know what they are, im certainly hazy

at last count masks were required on public transport and shops that are not substantially food shops, ive tried to see the sense in wearing a mask to buy golf accessories but not potatoes, but failed miserably, two m distancing in food shops seems to have disappeared entirely, though the floor markers remain

ive currently got no idea what what level of social mixing is allowed, where and if masks are required or not

seemingly neither has anyone else ?

i and most other people just ignore the bus requirement for masks, if the driver insist which they generally dont, as they arnt wearing them either, which they should, then i just pull my jumper up over my noise, which meets the legal requirement ( probably)

though i did have a guy in a mask on the bus trying to intimidate me by staring very aggressively at me, which i just ignored, he was quite big , but somewhat fat and if he was that bothered it seems unlikely he was actually going into close quarter fighting with me

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same thing as always. But not with more of a focus of keeping my distance, wearing a mask and not talking to anyone that I don't have to. I walk by people like they have the plague and they do the same for me.

With everyone trying to keep a 6 foot distance, and me staying home for the majority of the week. I just don't see me getting into any type of conflict. If I do get in one then I'm going to do the same thing. Keep distance, if it turns into an attack then I'm going to try to end it as quickly as I can. But realistically speaking, based on what people have asked my wife, I probably look like someone who would attack back. I had more of an issues with confrontations when I was in my 20's and early 30's. Things started to taper off around when I was 35.

Based on what I've seen from videos, it seems that women are more at risk of having other women cough on them. I have yet to see a man do it, unless it was on a police officer. Women do things to each other that men know would lead into a bad fight. From a legal point. Cough on someone today would be considered assault, attempted murder, or murder (if the person you coughed on dies from Covid-19) and they test you and discover that you have or had Covid-19.

From my perspective on my life. I'm probably safer now in terms of having to deal with physical attacks than I was pre-COVID-19 days.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(shouldnt really be that close to somone to begin with anyway, just as respect for said persons space)
What's your basis for thinking that? I mean, really... I am curious. In the West, primarily North & South America, we seem to have developed this sense of "personal space," which does not seem to exist elsewhere, at least not to the same degree.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, @Steve, my understanding is that the mask is for You, not to protect you from Me. It trains you to not touch your face, that's the primary reason to wear the mask in the first place.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, @Steve, my understanding is that the mask is for You, not to protect you from Me. It trains you to not touch your face, that's the primary reason to wear the mask in the first place.

No. The mask protects other people from viral particles in the droplets coming out of your mouth. YOU wear a mask to protect ME, and I wear a mask to protect YOU.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really. Actually, people touch their faces more when they have a mask on, if they're not used to it.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Could be. I'm not an epidemiologist. However, from what I've read, you're understanding is the exact opposite of what is being shared by the medical community.

The primary benefit of you wearing a mask is to the people around you, though it does provide some minimal amount of protection for you from others, as well.

Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus

Do masks protect the people wearing them or the people around them?
“I think there’s enough evidence to say that the best benefit is for people who have COVID-19 to protect them from giving COVID-19 to other people, but you’re still going to get a benefit from wearing a mask if you don’t have COVID-19,” said Chin-Hong.

Masks may be more effective as a “source control” because they can prevent larger expelled droplets from evaporating into smaller droplets that can travel farther.

Another factor to remember, noted Rutherford, is that you could still catch the virus through the membranes in your eyes, a risk that masking does not eliminate.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
72ff27f52145fcb8689b8ec5afcfe201.jpg

D

Deleted member 39746

What's your basis for thinking that? I mean, really... I am curious. In the West, primarily North & South America, we seem to have developed this sense of "personal space," which does not seem to exist elsewhere, at least not to the same degree.

You have no buisness being right up close to somone you dont know. Bad thinngs generally happen, you either get pick pockted, they hit you etc. (you cant enforce that if its crowded though in most cases, as i think most place sby now should have case law agaisnt that from people who have tried)

Some places havent lost the trust of complete strangers though, i would state the western countries largely have.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have no buisness being right up close to somone you dont know. Bad thinngs generally happen, you either get pick pockted, they hit you etc. (you cant enforce that if its crowded though in most cases, as i think most place sby now should have case law agaisnt that from people who have tried)

Some places havent lost the trust of complete strangers though, i would state the western countries largely have.
thats some sort of psychosis you have there,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think personal space is a cultural thing, your comfortable with what your used to and what your used to is what your comfortable with, the British versions tends to be canoe shaped, that is to close in-front or behind makes you uncomfortable, get as close as you like side to side, a crowded room will ordinate its self subconsciously to fit that model

i didnt notice that north Americans had a different notion of personal space than the British, which i think i would have done if it were substantially different as i have noted in various other parts of the world, including southern European countries, where getting 18 inches away before starting a conversations isnt that rare, as they also seem to wave their arms about whilst talking it can be a bit disconcerting

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could be. I'm not an epidemiologist. However, from what I've read, you're understanding is the exact opposite of what is being shared by the medical community.

The primary benefit of you wearing a mask is to the people around you, though it does provide some minimal amount of protection for you from others, as well.

Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus

Do masks protect the people wearing them or the people around them?
“I think there’s enough evidence to say that the best benefit is for people who have COVID-19 to protect them from giving COVID-19 to other people, but you’re still going to get a benefit from wearing a mask if you don’t have COVID-19,” said Chin-Hong.

Masks may be more effective as a “source control” because they can prevent larger expelled droplets from evaporating into smaller droplets that can travel farther.

Another factor to remember, noted Rutherford, is that you could still catch the virus through the membranes in your eyes, a risk that masking does not eliminate.
the biggest unanswered mystery about covid, is why there arent more dead,

experts predicted 40 millions deaths and its no where near that figure, as they clearly dont know their **** from their elbow, it seems wise to take everything they say with a pinch of salt

D

Deleted member 39746

thats some sort of psychosis you have there,

No it isnt, can you present one reason somone has for brushing agaisnt you when they have 5 meters either side of you to walk? There isnt any that doesnt lead to you being suspecious as hell of the, or them annoying you etc. Second close proximity and crowds is a festering pot of actual pickpockets.

This is also why you would get looked at funny if you started fending everyone who came within arms reach of you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it isnt, can you present one reason somone has for brushing agaisnt you when they have 5 meters either side of you to walk? There isnt any that doesnt lead to you being suspecious as hell of the, or them annoying you etc. Second close proximity and crowds is a festering pot of actual pickpockets.

This is also why you would get looked at funny if you started fending everyone who came within arms reach of you.
can you give me any logical reason why if i park my car on an empty car park, i come back to find that every one has parked near to me, and particularity that two have parked RIGHT next to me, when they had the option of another two hundred parking places to chose from ? it clearly isn't criminal intent

you cant ascribe criminal intent to everyone who gets closer to you, than you are comfortable with

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

can you give me any logical reason why if i park my car on an empty car park, i come back to find that every one has parked near to me, and particularity that two have parked RIGHT next to me, when they had the option of another two hundred parking places to chose from ? it clearly isn't criminal intent

you cant ascribe criminal intent to everyone who gets closer to you, than you are comfortable with

Why it happens, swarm effect. But parking cars and walking are two seperate things, if the only other car is right next to yours i would raise a eyebrow at it.

There is still no good reason to get close to somone you dont know, you have no way of knowing if they last minute decided not to stab you or something like that. I would also raise a eye and take note if the only other person walking that day, decided to walk right up next to you. (these are actually things to take note of as they can indicate somone scoping you and they are still suspicious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions