Self defense against people who don't wear masks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why it happens, swarm effect. But parking cars and walking are two seperate things, if the only other car is right next to yours i would raise a eyebrow at it.

There is still no good reason to get close to somone you dont know, you have no way of knowing if they last minute decided not to stab you or something like that. I would also raise a eye and take note if the only other person walking that day, decided to walk right up next to you. (these are actually things to take note of as they can indicate somone scoping you and they are still suspicious)
well thats what i mean by psychosis, a healthy suspicion of others intent is healthy, persuading yourself that any one who comes within arms length is going to stab you is paranoia

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why it happens, swarm effect. But parking cars and walking are two seperate things, if the only other car is right next to yours i would raise a eyebrow at it.

There is still no good reason to get close to somone you dont know, you have no way of knowing if they last minute decided not to stab you or something like that. I would also raise a eye and take note if the only other person walking that day, decided to walk right up next to you. (these are actually things to take note of as they can indicate somone scoping you and they are still suspicious)
you clearly dont drive or dont park on empty car parks, try it, theres a very high chance that at least one of the following cars will park adjacent to you, ieven if you park at the furthest point from the pub or super market, they dont want your car to feel lonely is the only explanation

D

Deleted member 39746

well thats what i mean by psychosis, a healthy suspicion of others intent is healthy, persuading yourself that any one who comes within arms length is going to stab you is paranoia

So, mis using a medical term? Paranoia is the one you are looking for *(medical wise) and that requires unreasonable suspicion/no evidence. I have presented only reasonable suspicion. (and with evidence to back it up, ie pick pockets and theives brushing you to steal things)

You have proceded to relay the same point without giving a good reason for a total stranger to walk right up next to you, or brush by you when its not crowded and they dont know you. You dont walk up to somone you dont know and shove your face into theirs and go "hello how are you!".

Not watching people who are near you/not going to give you space is literally objectively the worse thing you can ever do. And the non observant is what people usually target.

*It fits better than psychosis for this instance, compare the two and you will see paranoia fits better for what you are trying to describe. Psychosis is predominately both delusions and hallucinations. As opposed to paranoia, which is largely the former, and also specfically baseless threats to yourself.

you clearly dont drive or dont park on empty car parks, try it, theres a very high chance that at least one of the following cars will park adjacent to you, ieven if you park at the furthest point from the pub or super market, they dont want your car to feel lonely is the only explanation

Swarm effect, but then its still suspicious if somone parks right next to your car and not a couple of spots away, or just in the general area. How is it not? One, being in a vacant excluded area is a hotspot for being ambushed, and two having the only other car be there and be RIGHT next to yours, in a hotspot for where crimes usually happen, should set off some form of caution as to where the person has gone. (could have broken into your car, could have tampered with it someway, could be hiding in theirs waiting for you to get in yours to kidnap you etc)

Even if its in the general area they could have done all of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, mis using a medical term? Paranoia is the one you are looking for *(medical wise) and that requires unreasonable suspicion/no evidence. I have presented only reasonable suspicion. (and with evidence to back it up, ie pick pockets and theives brushing you to steal things)

People who are paranoid pretty much always think their suspicions are reasonable.

Speaking of mis-using medical terms...
Paranoia is a psychosis. Psychosis is a general term. Paranoia a specific.
Delusions are a common symptom of psychosis. Like (just as an example) someone with no training in martial arts/medicine/auto mechanics/physics/etc who honestly thinks that their opinions on the subject should be taken seriously by those with actual training.
When these delusions develop into an exaggerated sense of personal importance, a conviction that the delusional person is being persecuted, etc, then the delusional person may be considered paranoid. But they're still psychotic.

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
the biggest unanswered mystery about covid, is why there arent more dead,

experts predicted 40 millions deaths and its no where near that figure, as they clearly dont know their **** from their elbow, it seems wise to take everything they say with a pinch of salt
I never hear 40 million. I heard anywhere between 3 and 5%.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never hear 40 million. I heard anywhere between 3 and 5%.
thats possibly becausr americans just ignore the rest of the world

and im not aware that it was ever 5% of the population that was proje ted, to die, thats some what more than 40 million

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't ignore the rest of the world. Do you... feel ignored, Jobo? I mean, we might ignore the UK, because honestly, you guys are as bad as we are. ;)

Seriously, though, any reasonable person knows that hard number predictions are based on models that are constantly being updated. As testing improves, we get more data, and people take actions (or in the USA in some cases, refuse to take actions) to mitigate the risks, rates will rise or fall and numbers will be adjusted.

So, all that to say, you may have heard someone project 40million deaths. I've never heard that number, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think it's possible that the experts were correct at that time, based on the model they used at that time (projected rates of exposure, positive cases, and resulting deaths at some rate), and also that these same experts will be constantly adjusting those numbers based on updated data.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

and im not aware that it was ever 5% of the population that was proje ted, to die, thats some what more than 40 million

Ummmm... that would require 100% of the population to be infected. Now you're just being sillier than usual.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't ignore the rest of the world. Do you... feel ignored, Jobo? I mean, we might ignore the UK, because honestly, you guys are as bad as we are. ;)

Seriously, though, any reasonable person knows that hard number predictions are based on models that are constantly being updated. As testing improves, we get more data, and people take actions (or in the USA in some cases, refuse to take actions) to mitigate the risks, rates will rise or fall and numbers will be adjusted.

So, all that to say, you may have heard someone project 40million deaths. I've never heard that number, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think it's possible that the experts were correct at that time, based on the model they used at that time (projected rates of exposure, positive cases, and resulting deaths at some rate), and also that these same experts will be constantly adjusting those numbers based on updated data.
google it,, 40 million projeted covid deaths,, and see hpw many hits you get

experts making predictions off models designed by exsperts, can only blame exsperts if the model was wrong

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

experts making predictions off models designed by exsperts, can only blame exsperts if the model was wrong

The problem is that you're taking what was projected as the worst case possibility if nothing whatsoever was done, and pretending that's got anything to do with the reality of a world that DID do what it could to flatten the curve. Or at least most places and most people did; idiots do exist, after all.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I googled it and everything that came up was from March, and even then it was a qualified statement "without interventions."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem is that you're taking what was projected as the worst case possibility if nothing whatsoever was done, and pretending that's got anything to do with the reality of a world that DID do what it could to flatten the curve. Or at least most places and most people did; idiots do exist, after all.
that didnt do what varius exspert required them to do, then the exsperts said, your not doing enough,

then it turned out that very very few people , by comparisons woth the predictions died, so they were wrong,, i could have picked a number out of thin air and been as accurate, which im pretty sure is all they did

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I googled it and everything that came up was from March, and even then it was a qualified statement "without interventions."
so it wasnt just a figment of my imagination, and what interventions were they recommending and which countries follow those recommendations

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm relaxing in a hammock in my garden and listening to Hank Mobley with some really good headphones that I just picked up on sale. Can't get much safer than that.

D

Deleted member 39746

People who are paranoid pretty much always think their suspicions are reasonable.

Speaking of mis-using medical terms...
Paranoia is a psychosis. Psychosis is a general term. Paranoia a specific.
Delusions are a common symptom of psychosis. Like (just as an example) someone with no training in martial arts/medicine/auto mechanics/physics/etc who honestly thinks that their opinions on the subject should be taken seriously by those with actual training.
When these delusions develop into an exaggerated sense of personal importance, a conviction that the delusional person is being persecuted, etc, then the delusional person may be considered paranoid. But they're still psychotic.

There are 3 types for the source i have. One is a psychosis, one is a personality disorder and one is paranoid schizophrenia. But fair enough, i skimmed it and i always refer to the paranoia that is the personality disorder one not the psychosis one.* I dont know if this changes pending country though. (some things are defined and catergorised diffrently)

Never the less, paranoia is a better word and term in this instance than just psycosis.

The actual diagnosis of it, is always difficult, because you have to figure out if it is reasonable, or unreasonable. And that in itself, just thinking about it is seems like it can be very subjective.

(source is from Mind.org.uk)

*Addendum: i do routinely forget there are 3 paranoias down to me usually using the term to mean the personality disorder, unless i use the term psychosis or schizophrenia alongside it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so it wasnt just a figment of my imagination, and what interventions were they recommending and which countries follow those recommendations

Your conclusion was made up though. You didn't understand how the 40 million was reached and so inserted your own reality that science doesn't work.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your conclusion was made up though. You didn't understand how the 40 million was reached and so inserted your own reality that science doesn't work.
All conclusions are made up, where do you think they come from?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
All conclusions are made up, where do you think they come from?
I think you and I have a different idea about what “made up” means. I really think you’d benefit from a logic class.

Status
Not open for further replies.