Really discouraged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I do not think that. What I do think and have stated before, a person should research a subject extensively before they purchase that subject and I dont think he is doing anything harmful by asking questions, about a system.

I really dont see the problem, other than some people finding offense when he critiques their system.
Yeah when a guy criticises /every/ martial art without ever doing any of them and even basing his opinion on what he's seen in movies then yeah people aren't going to take him seriously

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you seem to say that when someone disagrees with you.

No he doesn't, he disagrees with me a lot and hasn't called me arrogant.

I think the problem is you haven't seen the sheer volume of threads the OP has started, many of them are actually disrespectful because he quite often says such and such a style is rubbish....these opinions are based on either fictional films or internet videos, he criticises instructors for charging training fees and for going on holiday. He criticises extensively Chinese martial arts, according to him they can't do this, that or the other, he complains of maladies that he would be better seeing a doctor about. He emails instructors with lists of demands and questions that elicits short replies that aren't to his liking. He has had good advice that he replies to by saying the style recommended is a fraud just out for the money. He has posted constantly for months now about his problems with styles, nothing matches what he wants. People have been far more patient, far more considerate than he actually deserves at this point.
Of course bumping your gums about how good you are is on the other end of trolling to the OP, just as bad of course but far less amusing.

D

Deleted member 34973

Okay and you saying everyone here apart from you has no knowledge and are all terrible instructors isn't arrogant yeah okay whatever you say
Only those instructors, who believe that the students exist, to make their lives easier.
I have zero respect for those type of instructors. If you disagree with that, its your right. But, It doesnt make me arrogant.

Teachers are there to help improve the life of students. Regardless of what is being taught. Its not about submitting to an authority without question. The objective of the student is to ask the tough questions and keep the teacher on his toes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only those instructors, who believe that the students exist, to make their lives easier.

I've never met one of them, even the worst instructors don't think students are there to make their lives easier lol.

D

Deleted member 34973

No he doesn't, he disagrees with me a lot and hasn't called me arrogant.

I think the problem is you haven't seen the sheer volume of threads the OP has started, many of them are actually disrespectful because he quite often says such and such a style is rubbish....these opinions are based on either fictional films or internet videos, he criticises instructors for charging training fees and for going on holiday. He criticises extensively Chinese martial arts, according to him they can't do this, that or the other, he complains of maladies that he would be better seeing a doctor about. He emails instructors with lists of demands and questions that elicits short replies that aren't to his liking. He has had good advice that he replies to by saying the style recommended is a fraud just out for the money. He has posted constantly for months now about his problems with styles, nothing matches what he wants. People have been far more patient, far more considerate than he actually deserves at this point.
Of course bumping your gums about how good you are is on the other end of trolling to the OP, just as bad of course but far less amusing.
I would agree, but he was attacked right from the get go, in his first post.

The same thing happened to me.
If you do not know about the style, why even comment?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have zero respect for those type of instructors. If you disagree with that, its your right. But, It doesnt make me arrogant.

Teachers are there to help improve the life of students. Regardless of what is being taught. Its not about submitting to an authority without question. The objective of the student is to ask the tough questions and keep the teacher on his toes.
Jesus you really aren't getting it are you this guy is NOT A STUDENT he has no intention to be a student he has made no effort to start a martial art apart from watching videos that's why no one is bothering to try and help anymore

D

Deleted member 34973

I've never met one of them, even the worst instructors don't think students are there to make their lives easier lol.
But it would appear that those here, want the easy teachable students. That is what I commented on and that was towards one guy who already ignored me.

But still, I will never understand why asking questions on MT are treated with such hostility and always by the exact same group of people.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Right this is all getting boring now tell you what if you're such an amazing instructor as your claiming to be you message him you let him ask you all his stupid questions then let's see if you're good enough to give him all his answers then he'll go and train but I guarantee he will not be training ever

D

Deleted member 34973

Jesus you really aren't getting it are you this guy is NOT A STUDENT he has no intention to be a student he has made no effort to start a martial art apart from watching videos that's why no one is bothering to try and help anymore
In your opinion...just because you jumped on the first thing, doesnt mean everyone goes that route.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But it would appear that those here, want the easy teachable students. That is what I commented on and that was towards one guy who already ignored me.

But still, I will never understand why asking questions on MT are treated with such hostility and always by the exact same group of people.
My god you seem to be just as incapable of listening as the op. it's not about him asking questions he asks the same questions time after time after time and then he answers his own question with his own opinion and is rude and dismissive to other people's opinion....actually I can see why you have a soft spot for him very similar to you it seems

D

Deleted member 34973

Right this is all getting boring now tell you what if you're such an amazing instructor as your claiming to be you message him you let him ask you all his stupid questions then let's see if you're good enough to give him all his answers then he'll go and train but I guarantee he will not be training ever[/QUOTE
I never once claimed to be an amazing instructor. I just dont believe its always the students fault. I disagree with your line of thinking and really, its ok when someone disagrees with you.

It was others and you who resorted to personal put downs(as always). Do you folks ever wonder why, it is always the same group that does most of the commenting and arguing. That seem to be the main commentors in a majority of the threads. Why it is when there is no fresh blood, you turn on eachother.

Its embarassing.

D

Deleted member 34973

My god you seem to be just as incapable of listening as the op. it's not about him asking questions he asks the same questions time after time after time and then he answers his own question with his own opinion and is rude and dismissive to other people's opinion....actually I can see why you have a soft spot for him very similar to you it seems
No not a bit, I just notice the same people attacking everyone that disagrees with them. And, these same people use personal attacks when their knowledge is questioned.

It can be seen in damn near every thread. It doesnt matter what the subject is. Its just attack and in my experience...these types of people have led sheltered lives.

You folks have a great day.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The whole point of this is the guy doesn't actually want to learn he likes watching his videos and pretending he knows what he's talking about and ignores everyone's advice that's why people can't be bothered. Tell me if you had a student who asked the same question every single lesson week after week would you still be as patient the hundredth time as you were the first that's what this guys doing

Well...I was a teacher...and it depends on the student. Some students just don't understand a concept because they don't understand how you teach. Other students don't care about what you do, and other students just need a different perspective and you don't have the ability to provide it. Maybe because you have a different approach or maybe because you have a fundamental difference in the art and how the student sees the art. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would agree, except that the instructor also has to consider the other students. If I have two students who take all my time, I'm depriving those who are working at it. I love to help people overcome their attitudes as much as anyone, but I have an obligation (yes, an ethical one) not to ignore the larger group.

On top of that, most instructors simply aren't trained on how to help attitude problems. Doing it the wrong way can sometimes be worse than asking them to leave - that's another ethical issue instructors have to deal with.

Well said in that last bit especially. I had a hard time with attitude adjustment as a teacher. It took me physically breaking up a fight though to gain respect from my only problem student though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its lousey advice in my opinion. When one knows northing about the arts.

The only way you learn is by asking openly genuine questions. If you read his posts the questions he asks are typically directly or indirectly insulting to the art of the instructor teaches either via comparison "is your art really better than this other art" or "I have watched videos of your art and it looks like it is ineffective is this true?". Finally he apparently wants a school that gives high quality training with little to no financial investment.

Next in the end the only way one moves from ignorance to learning is to first honestly analyze oneself. Second one has to ask questions based on THIS, not YouTube videos. Finally one has to get get off their butt, go to a school and try it. He has done none of the above, what he has done is asked the people on this forum to hand him some miraculous answer as to "this is the ultimate art for you." No one can answer this question for him but himself and it requires following the steps I noted above.

D

Deleted member 34973

The only way you learn is by asking openly genuine questions. If you read his posts the questions he asks are typically directly or indirectly insulting to the art of the instructor teaches either via comparison "is your art really better than this other art" or "I have watched videos of your art and it looks like it is ineffective is this true?". Finally he apparently wants a school that gives high quality training with little to no financial investment.

Next in the end the only way one moves from ignorance to learning is to first honestly analyze oneself. Second one has to ask questions based on THIS, not YouTube videos. Finally one has to get get off their butt, go to a school and try it. He has done none of the above, what he has done is asked the people on this forum to hand him some miraculous answer as to "this is the ultimate art for you." No one can answer this question for him but himself and it requires following the steps I noted above.
I have and a majority of the time, those who answer, regardless of if its him or not, iisa sarcastic answer.

No I believe, after several months of observation, that you have about 5-6 regulars, that attack anyone who disagrees with the popular opinion.

That is what I have observed. Folks running people off.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quite literally nothing anyone has said even slightly implied anything about submitting to authority, with or without question. Tough questions are fine - one of my best students is actually someone who questions nearly everything I teach. Disrespectful questions asked out of pure ignorance with an arrogant attitude of assumed knowledge are not.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You need to review your facts. His first post did not receive an attack.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have and a majority of the time, those who answer, regardless of if its him or not, iisa sarcastic answer.

No I believe, after several months of observation, that you have about 5-6 regulars, that attack anyone who disagrees with the popular opinion.

That is what I have observed. Folks running people off.

Because those 5-6 people once tried giving honest advice and then the questions never stopped. It honestly reads like he is looking for an excuse not to train. Eventually people who give honest and informed advice are going to get tired of what amounts to a merry go round of questions and criticism of things he hasn't even bothered trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions