Really discouraged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I emailed a school which offers self defense and in my email I asked a few questions and
described a few things which worry me, like for example that in demo videos techniques all
work but that demo videos aren't very realistic and that I worry that you learn stuff which doesn't
work in reality.

And the guy replied and said that what counts is wether you have a fighting spirit and that if you're
a "head person" you can train whatever you want and you'll still get knocked out instantly!

Is this true? He also more or less told me that he wouldn't want me as student.

Now I'm really discouraged.

I mean sure, I ask a lot of questions. But does this really mean that even if I learnt self-defense
it still wouldn't work for me?! Does this argument make sense?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So let me get this straight...

You emailed the guy saying you think his videos are unrealistic and he's teaching unrealistic stuff, and you want him to want you as a student?

What response were you expecting?

And yeah, it doesn't matter what system you train in or what techniques you know, you'll still get KOed sometimes. Why? As Mr. Miyagi told Daniel-san, "...someone always know more."

It doesn't matter how well you know your stuff or how technical you get or how flawlessly you can execute technique... If you're not mentally tough, the first strike that lands will send you on the ground crying, or worse.

On another note, a working definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. You seem to fit that definition quite well.

I don't know if you're on drugs, or you need to be on drugs. But whichever it is, it ain't working out for you.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No I did not tell him that HIS stuff sucks. I told him I watch many videos and that my concern is that the demonstrations
in the videos are usually never realistic and not like in a real fight.

Maybe he just told me that he wouldn't want me cause he realized that I'm not fooled by techniques which suck. This is also possible.

I told him I watched a video where they showed a jiu jitsu technique against sharp weapons and that the technique wasn't good imo
cause he left his whole side open for an attack.

Maybe he just realized that I'm a critical thinker and that he doesn't want people in his class which actually think and ask questions.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe he just told me that he wouldn't want me cause he realized that I'm not fooled by techniques which suck. This is also possible.
Maybe he just realized that I'm a critical thinker and that he doesn't want people in his class which actually think and ask questions.
No, he is a member here and has been reading your posts. He knows you have no intention of training.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I told him I watched a video where they showed a jiu jitsu technique against sharp weapons and that the technique wasn't good imo
Why did you tell him that? Really, what was your purpose in telling him that? How was that not wasting his time?

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why did you tell him that? Really, what was your purpose in telling him that? How was that not wasting his time?

Why is this wasting his time? I only wanted to explain to him that I worry about learning techniques which don't work in real life
and I asked him what he thinks about this.

This is a normal question.

Anyway I wouldn't have gone to him anyway cause I found out that he likely sucks. But his reply still upsets and angers me.

This is almost discrimination against people which are a bit insecure and worry a lot.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I did not tell him that HIS stuff sucks. I told him I watch many videos and that my concern is that the demonstrations
in the videos are usually never realistic and not like in a real fight.

Sure, go with that. Anything is possible...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why is this wasting his time?
...Anyway I wouldn't have gone to him anyway cause I found out that he likely sucks. But his reply still upsets and angers me.

The answer to why he treated you as he did lies in that quote.

Keep telling yourself that.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why is this wasting his time? I only wanted to explain to him that I worry about learning techniques which don't work in real life
and I asked him what he thinks about this.

This is a normal question.

Um, nope. You are asking him to give you free wisdom, or at least information, because he is at a higher level than you: otherwise you wouldn't have asked him. And you are offering nothing in return, except your opinion: the opinion of someone who doesn't train.

Questions like yours should only be asked after a relationship has been established between teacher and student. Once it is appropriate, the teacher will answer these kind of questions from a student. You are not this man's student, so you are wasting his time.

Anyway I wouldn't have gone to him anyway cause I found out that he likely sucks. But his reply still upsets and angers me.

So you're arrogant, too? Charming.

This is almost discrimination against people which are a bit insecure and worry a lot.
Just go to a class and stop wasting people's time. Once you've actually invested some sweat, or some skin on a mat, you'd have earned the right to engage in conversation.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I had a student send me an email a while back where he described all sorts of issues he had, and worries about training, and stuff he saw on-line. I told him it was irrelevant and to come in and we'd see about him starting to train. When he showed up at the dojo, he again launched into a spirited discussion about himself and his worries until I stopped him. I told him I'd teach him, but his job was to simply try his best to understand and practice what was taught. He has advanced tremendously since he started, and he may be ready for shodan testing this fall at our school's annual U.S. gasshuku.

Less chat more mat is always applicable.

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have worries about a teacher, then look for a different teacher I suppose. You can also teach yourself; sometimes seeking a teacher isn't feasible for a person's particular situation.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, with ZERO training you are able to tell that a technique is no good because you see fault in it. Do you have a better technique, based on the same principles of the art you don't train in? You do realize that every time you perform a technique, there is an opening for a counter technique, and every counter technique also leaves an opening?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do boxing.

Or Kyokushin if you want martial arts stuff - i.e. belts, uniforms, etc.

Boxing and Kyokushin are both complete arts that include ground fighting - you knock your opponent to the ground, and he doesn't get up. Both include weapons - YOU are the weapon.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this true? He also more or less told me that he wouldn't want me as student.

Based on your posting here I think a larger percentage of instructors wouldn't want you as a student. Pick a place, go train. Or don't, it doesn't sound like you really want too anyways. It sounds like you like the idea of it, but until you actually go sign up and train that's all you got, an idea. Spend a year in the biggest "McDojo" out there and it will still serve you more good then posting about why every single school is bad and not doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions