Really discouraged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is playing the man not the ball.

You are correct, sparring light or heavy or whatever is the best way to develop fighting mechanics next to actually fighting .

There are few drills, mainly escapes ans counters where you can't easily do them in sparring (simply because they are a counter to a specific action) but other than that it is the next best thing to actually fighting full force.

I cant help but play the man because this is not the first time the op has called up a studio and essentially insulted the person, then acts appealed when they refuse to take him in.

Again he has no experience, he doesn't see the value of demonstration or sparring or anything. Demonstrations are often to well, advertise a technique and show the basics step by step. There are also sparring demos where the goal is to draw people in to sign up,
This person looks at them and goes "oh the entire style must suck".

Rather than realize, oh it's a demo, it's meant to break down something step by step so you can do it full speed later on. If you cannot do it slow, how would you do it fast for reals?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are correct, sparring light or heavy or whatever is the best way to develop fighting mechanics next to actually fighting .

There are few drills, mainly escapes ans counters where you can't easily do them in sparring (simply because they are a counter to a specific action) but other than that it is the next best thing to actually fighting full force.

I cant help but play the man because this is not the first time the op has called up a studio and essentially insulted the person, then acts appealed when they refuse to take him in.

Weird students are part of the fun of being in a school. We have had guys ring up offering to teach for money. Complain that pro mma fighters are only bjj blue belts. And a really strange one about a guys foot sise. (he has like a sise 14 foot but still)

And that is without an open mat. The guys who come in to spar with all their insane baggage is pretty common.

There is this idea. There are no lies on the mat. Everything else is just bag chat.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weird students are part of the fun of being in a school. We have had guys ring up offering to teach for money. Complain that pro mma fighters are only bjj blue belts. And a really strange one about a guys foot sise. (he has like a sise 14 foot but still)

And that is without an open mat. The guys who come in to spar with all their insane baggage is pretty common.

There is this idea. There are no lies on the mat. Everything else is just bag chat.

I agree with you here. Like I said if it were me as that instructor I would have told him to come in and id show him the stuff works. That's just however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions