Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly it. :)
That makes sense. Like most self-defense instructors, I do teach this, but it's sort of a sideline, for exactly the reasons you implied. That's a good point of the necessary difference between civilian and LEO training.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That makes sense. Like most self-defense instructors, I do teach this, but it's sort of a sideline, for exactly the reasons you implied. That's a good point of the necessary difference between civilian and LEO training.

Wait. What?

Wouldn't you just teach both and give them the option?

Attacking defending and countering should be pretty universal tools.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you said this to me I'd get you down to my gym and ask you to spar with me and show me my stuff doesn't work. You'd find out very quickly if it does or doesn't. Actions speak louder than words

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, it isn't. "Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach." is an absolutely false statement.

I agree that is fortunately why I am not saying that. I am saying that the expression goes both ways. The idea behind the cliché as that one is considerably easier than the other. That is complete garbage. By stating both the original cliché and then the mirror statement to said cliché I am stating that both are difficult. Both require a certain degree of skills. They are not mutually exclusive nor does one grow with the other.

I have seen some excellent martial artist who are terrible teachers, and I have seen the exact opposite as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The whole "difficult student" thing is a deliberate distraction. The poster made the patently stupid claim that every "student" wants to learn and that any "student" who doesn't learn is the result of bad instruction. The claims aren't about a "difficult student," the claims are, well, frankly, uninformed.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Every student does want to learn. that is why they show up. Initially. They may not understand what is required of them. It is the job of the instructor to communicate that. After that it is on the student. I'm not in full disagreement with you nor am I in complete agreement I just simply don't like blanket statements. I have a zero tolerance policy for zero-tolerance policies ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every student does want to learn. that is why they show up. Initially. They may not understand what is required of them. It is the job of the instructor to communicate that. After that it is on the student. I'm not in full disagreement with you nor am I in complete agreement I just simply don't like blanket statements. I have a zero tolerance policy for zero-tolerance policies ;)

Actually, that's not at all why some folks show up. Here's one example: Some show up merely to be able to say they are taking martials arts, and really don't have any interest in learning it. These are easy to spot because they don't progress and don't care that they don't progress. (I'm not talking about rank, rather about skill development.) They are happy to be able to make their claim, and come to class only so much as they feel is necessary to maintain the claim.

There are other types that show up with no real desire to learn (the validators, the demonstrators, the dominators, etc.). In a good school, none of them last long.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you said this to me I'd get you down to my gym and ask you to spar with me and show me my stuff doesn't work. You'd find out very quickly if it does or doesn't. Actions speak louder than words

Which is why people spar in the first place. Because op is Correct. Everything does work in a demo.

AVI

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I emailed a school which offers self defense and in my email I asked a few questions and
described a few things which worry me, like for example that in demo videos techniques all
work but that demo videos aren't very realistic and that I worry that you learn stuff which doesn't
work in reality.

And the guy replied and said that what counts is wether you have a fighting spirit and that if you're
a "head person" you can train whatever you want and you'll still get knocked out instantly!

Is this true? He also more or less told me that he wouldn't want me as student.

Now I'm really discouraged.

I mean sure, I ask a lot of questions. But does this really mean that even if I learnt self-defense
it still wouldn't work for me?! Does this argument make sense?
See, its true that if you do not have the fighting spirit in you, you dont stand a chance to defend yourself.its not like a formula to solve mathematics.i have seen some fellow students who have learnt all techniques what i have, but fails to perform them in a fight.

And about the guy you have been talking to, I will warn you, there are many posers who just showoff and whose classes will teach you nothing but touch and run game.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is discouraging.

How shall I get a fighting spirit? I'm an anxious person and I also overthink everything.

I'm even in an alert mode when I go to the supermarket. My pulse is always higher than usual when I'm outside of the house.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is discouraging.

How shall I get a fighting spirit? I'm an anxious person and I also overthink everything.

I'm even in an alert mode when I go to the supermarket. My pulse is always higher than usual when I'm outside of the house.
You get your lazy backside to a class and start learning so in that case no you'll never get one

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is discouraging.

How about you get out there and look online and do intro courses at schools near you. Then you can pick the one you enjoy the best and feel is the best fit for you.

Here's a tip play hardball when you call schools most will want you to come in to see the school in person then they will ask you to pay a small fee for an intro course. What you do is say your still researching dojos and am interested but have a few free intro lessons at other dojos that your going to do before spending money on any introductory lessons or Classes. Most schools will waive the intro fee or reduce the cost.

Just get out there and start trying intro courses most if the time their free or inexpensive.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get your lazy backside to a class and start learning so in that case no you'll never get one

As I usually do I clicked on to the new posts and there's is half a dozen new threads started by the OP...again.
There is only one answer for the OP, please go and train or don't. One or the other but just stop with the questions, they aren't helping you and come across as trolling at this point. I'm getting the idea now that there is nothing wrong and all these posts and threads are just to satisfy some need for attention or worse just to wind people up.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is discouraging.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that you are not, umm... "pure of heart" in posting motives.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
...come across as trolling at this point. I'm getting the idea now that there is nothing wrong and all these posts and threads are just to satisfy some need for attention or worse just to wind people up.
Yeah. I'm getting that too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every student does want to learn. that is why they show up. Initially.
Nope. Not "every student." Most of them, sure. But there's some who want to show off. There's some who want to claim they have/are training martial arts. There are some who want to challenge the instructor.

Even charitably, there are some who don't show up to learn the art. There are some who show up just to see what the art is all about or if it suits their needs. They're not there to "learn" but to decided if they want to learn. Heck, I recommend people do that.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe he just told me that he wouldn't want me cause he realized that I'm not fooled by techniques which suck. This is also possible.

Why are judging things that you have zero experience in? I and many others have told you before that is a stupid thing to do. Watching videos on youtube will not and does not give you any form of credibility to call something unrealistic or ineffective, you are lucky that the sensei did not just hang up on you or not respond to your email at all.

As for me I would have handled it a little differently, I would have told you to come try it for yourself so you can then make a better judgement, but that is me and that sensei owes you nothing.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is why people spar in the first place. Because op is Correct. Everything does work in a demo.

Sparring is one on of many tools to build fighting mechanics but this individual kehcoprz is nowhere near ready to be sparring.

He would probably piss himself and **** his pants.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sparring is one on of many tools to build fighting mechanics but this individual kehcoprz is nowhere near ready to be sparring.

He would probably piss himself and **** his pants.

So is his statement wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions