Proper hand position for empty hand v. knife

BryMcK

White Belt
Reaction score
In answer to your question may I recommend looking at Floro Fighting Systems.
http://www.florofightingsystems.com
I have studied this system and I have found it to be the best edged weapons system that I have seen so far. It is simple and easy to learn as well as highly effective. These were the biggest points for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In answer to your question may I recommend looking at Floro Fighting Systems.
http://www.florofightingsystems.com
I have studied this system and I have found it to be the best edged weapons system that I have seen so far. It is simple and easy to learn as well as highly effective. These were the biggest points for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Can you tell us some more about it? What does Floro Fighting Systems have to say about how to hold your hands if you're fighting unarmed against a knife?

Why don't you take a moment and tell us about yourself over in the Meet & Greet?

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I guess my biggest point is that this entire approach seems very limited, and very black-and-white to me, and although you have only a few posts here (and 1 small "blog" statement), it comes through as a pattern in everything you have written so far.

I saw your Meet and Greet thread, but can't find anything about the systems you list in your profile wherever I look. And with such limited other information that you present us with, might I suggest you let us know a bit more about yourself? At this point, I am starting to form an image, but would prefer to get a bit more information to be a little more accurate.

As to the OP, well, there really is no one answer, just a few basic guidelines.... have them in a position where you can defend yourself easily and quickly, try to avoid holding them where they become an easily cut target, and so on. But even those have exceptions, you may hold one hand out as a target in order to entice an attack that you can predict. So, really, there is no one "proper" position, as it really does depend on too many other factors not listed.

"Very Limited" ok...."VERY GOOD".... then you get the point....Keep your techniqes simple & direct, make it effective & honest, be able to do it all under 6 seconds or less......then drill it over and over again, in sets 20, 30, 40 & more, day and night....in every environment you walk. Add in a few challenges to overcome any fears (empowerment)......then test it at full speed and power with someone much bigger and faster than yourself, remember no holding back. Note; you will need forearm protection for your partner somewhere into your first few weeks........the two techniques can be learned in about 90 days.....with about 10,000reps. Sets of 20,30, 40 etc is vital... as is range. I have an empowerment day coming up in May.....my first AFF Level I "Skydive"......Skydiveperris.com
As for my own backround......my first teacher was Master Haumea, better know as "Tiny" to his students. The endexing technique comes from the W.A.R. system....lookup Cliff Stewart....Within Arms Reach....system for professional bodyguard. If you like to know more? message me privately I will help you with the endex technique if you still like or answer any questions you my have about me or my personal system!
Your Friend
Merc

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Of course, this assumes you know he has a knife...
No....I train every technique as if being attack with a knife or a gun, it's more mind set....there are no real blocks only strikes.....every strike is Attitude.....only made to destroy, nothing more. Simple & pure Self Defense.

BryMcK

White Belt
Reaction score
He has a certain posture that keeps the hand up much like a kickboxing posture with the hands back by the face almost like a double salute, yet the elbows are pulled back to just in front of the shoulders as well rather than in front of the body. The principle behind this is something I learned long ago when fighting a blade you need to try and keep your whole body away from strikes. A knife can do a lot of damage quickly even to the arms.
There are other parts to the posture such as a slight lean forward creating an illusion of a closer distance when we are in fact out of their range. He combines a lot of his years of filipino weapons fighing with his fencing strategies.
It impresses me enough that I am looking at getting instructor certified.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
He has a certain posture that keeps the hand up much like a kickboxing posture with the hands back by the face almost like a double salute, yet the elbows are pulled back to just in front of the shoulders as well rather than in front of the body. The principle behind this is something I learned long ago when fighting a blade you need to try and keep your whole body away from strikes. A knife can do a lot of damage quickly even to the arms.
There are other parts to the posture such as a slight lean forward creating an illusion of a closer distance when we are in fact out of their range. He combines a lot of his years of filipino weapons fighing with his fencing strategies.
It impresses me enough that I am looking at getting instructor certified.

My friend, Tom Furman has studied with him and I have seen some of his vids, I like his style alot.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Walking by and saw the horse still laying there so I decided to kick it again...

The only "proper hand position" to have being unarmed against the knife is the position that has your hands or other body weapons on there meat and causing an injury to the threat.
I keep in mind one always needs a system of checks and balances so I tend to leave a check hand close to my heart.
BTW there is no such thing as being "unarmed" especially if you have the ability to think and move, you have the most powerful weapons in any mans arsenal available to you which is of course... the naked human mind and body.

Latest Discussions