Effective Empty Hand vs Knife Strategies

S

Skyline22

Hi, I'm new to the boards myself, but this particular string interested me. I noticed in an earlier discussion that some arts did not stress repeated attacks with a blade, such as Aikido, TKD, Karate, etc... I haven't seen too much about the Indonesian martial arts forms on these boards, which I think is good for a situation like this. Granted, the other posts are quite right..empty hand against a blade isn't a good idea, and if you can avoid it, you should. However, you might find yourself cornered into an empty hand defense.. in the form I currently practice, Pukulan Pentjak Silat Serak, we have knife drills (sambuts) which have the offensive party delivering repeated knife attacks from various angles, at combat speed... not only does it let us adjust to controlling the weapon arm and parrying slashes, thrusts, and stabs.. but it gives us a feel for the brutality behind a knife assault. Nothing is coreographed, therefore an inproper defense in the sambuts will get you tagged with the practice knife in a vital spot. I believe this form of training and drill is excellent, should you find yourself with no other option but to defend empty hand.

Latest Discussions