MMA vs TaiChi

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually it's a better fighter beat a weaker fighter. Had it been taijiquan master beats self taught fighter would you then post taijiquan beats mma?
I'd love to see it. Show us a tai chi master beating a wrestler. Or anything.

What I think is likely though is that the tai chi master would.quickly identify gaps in his martial training. Like Dan t saw above.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you watch the video basically the taijiquan guy fell down and the other guy jumped on him which happens also in mma fights.

So is this really a video of mma fighter beating a taijiquan guy or a fighter who slipped and fell and another guy jumping on him after he fell?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
before we continue this we may want to review some MT rules

1.10.2 No Art bashing.

No one art is "the best", no one "style" is the best. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Do your research and find what best fits your ability and need.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score

What I think is likely though is that the tai chi master would.quickly identify gaps in his martial training. Like Dan t saw above.
How about as I said taijiquan master shoots wrestler and explains how he used each of the five energies of taijiquan principles when he drew his gun and fired. Or how about as I said stabbing a guy and then explaining how that was in the form? Do you understand Steve as a guy who practices taijiquan I don't have to fight Fair or empty handed I can easily drop a brick on someone's head and say its align with taijiquan and others who do taijiquan would agree.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually it's a better fighter beat a weaker fighter.

I'm afraid it goes a bit deeper than that.

Imagine if a self-taught backyard wrestler challenged and started beating Bjj black belts. That would really sully the reputation of Bjj as a martial art, and the community at large would be adversely effected.

The situation in China is especially interesting because of its martial art history and the recent push of MMA and Bjj in that country. Just look at the media attention this has gotten in China. I've never seen a versus video that got headlines and articles like this one did in China.

There's a growing consensus that traditional arts are just for show, and stuff like this isn't helping.

If you watch the video basically the taijiquan guy fell down and the other guy jumped on him which happens also in mma fights.

So is this really a video of mma fighter beating a taijiquan guy or a fighter who slipped and fell and another guy jumping on him after he fell?

Watch the video again. He fell down after getting socked in the face twice.

Where I'm from, we call that combo the "2 piece and a biscuit".

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Basically all this thread is is the op going around saying ooh look how amazing mma is and look how rubbish everything else is. We've all heard his biased ignorant fanboyish opinions multiple times.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not what is actually making the situation look bad or good. The fact that he's beating a bunch of people who claim to be dangerous with Tai Chi is the problem. Had the Tai Chi "Master" boasted about his abilities then this video would be just an ordinary fighting video.

After they had the fight, The news discovered that the Tai Chi "Master" was self-proclaimed there was no record of his formal training. Either that or the school that actually trained him disown him after his performance. lol

Nah, I read that he had founded some style called "Thunder Tai Chi" or something, and he was an instructor/grandmaster. I suppose the two had an internet spat, and ended up challenging each other. After the fight, the Tai Chi guy said that if he had used "real Tai Chi" he would have killed the MMA guy in seconds or something.

Truth of the matter is if the ref didn't stop that beatdown, the Tai Chi guy would have ended up in the hospital or worse.

In any case, this MMA guy is now challenging more people, and a few supposedly legit masters are stepping up, so this could get interesting. I hope it spreads and we start getting semi-pro/pro MMA fighters and Traditional grandmasters involved. I think Chinese MA needs something like this to better their arts overall.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Imagine if a self-taught backyard wrestler challenged and started beating Bjj black belts. That would really sully the reputation of Bjj as a martial art, and the community at large would be adversely effected.

The situation in China is especially interesting because of its martial art history and the recent push of MMA a

The situation in China is especially interesting because of its martial art history and the recent push of MMA and Bjj in that country. Just look at the media attention this has gotten in China. I've never seen a versus video that got headlines and articles like this one did in China.

There's a growing consensus that traditional arts are just for show, and stuff like this isn't helping.

Watch the video again. He fell down after getting socked in the face twice.

Where I'm from, we call that combo the "2 piece and a biscuit".
Leg buckled he fell was it a punch or his back pedaling who knows we have seen it in mma fights as well so either taijiquan fighters have similar results in mma fights as in one wins one looses and get punched or slip or mma fighters suck like taijiquan fighters your argument can't have it both ways.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Basically all this thread is is the op going around saying ooh look how amazing mma is and look how rubbish everything else is. We've all heard his biased ignorant fanboyish opinions multiple times.
Yep that is exactly right lol

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Leg buckled he fell was it a punch or his back pedaling who knows we have seen it in mma fights as well so either taijiquan fighters have similar results in mma fights as in one wins one looses and get punched or slip or mma fighters suck like taijiquan fighters your argument can't have it both ways.

It was 2 punches in combination. You can watch the film in multiple angles. :rolleyes:

BTW, just a taste of how big this is getting over in China;

Chinese tycoon offers $1.45 million to tai chi warrior who can defeat MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong | Taiwan News

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nah, I read that he had founded some style called "Thunder Tai Chi" or something, and he was an instructor/grandmaster. I suppose the two had an internet spat, and ended up challenging each other. After the fight, the Tai Chi guy said that if he had used "real Tai Chi" he would have killed the MMA guy in seconds or something.

Truth of the matter is if the ref didn't stop that beatdown, the Tai Chi guy would have ended up in the hospital or worse.

In any case, this MMA guy is now challenging more people, and a few supposedly legit masters are stepping up, so this could get interesting. I hope it spreads and we start getting semi-pro/pro MMA fighters and Traditional grandmasters involved. I think Chinese MA needs something like this to better their arts overall.
Why doesn't he go challenge people in Chen village then they will he happy to take him on it in fact he can challenge Chen Bing and Chen ziqiang in fact why don't you go watch Chen ziqiang on YouTube and see real taijiquan.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why doesn't he go challenge people in Chen village then they will he happy to take him on it in fact he can challenge Chen Bing and Chen ziqiang in fact why don't you go watch Chen ziqiang on YouTube and see real taijiquan.

Actually someone from Chen Tai Chi has challenged him, so we should see this real soon, especially now since serious money is involved.

Saw it saw leg slip too as he was running away so your argument is moot on if it was a punch of he slipped

RREimj.gif

He was running away because he was getting swarmed. Two of the punches connected, one of them right in his jaw, and down he went.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

In the case of Tai Chi, it's the fighter not the system. Most people know Tai Chi for being exercise and not actually a fighting system. Most people practice Tai Chi as an exercise and not as a fighting system. It's not enough to just do the forms to be able to use it in competition or for self defense.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The guy in the video did not train to use Tai Chi for self-defense or sparring environments. This was clear at the start. There's no need to defend him or the art of Tai Chi because it wasn't a good representation of what Tai Chi competitive or self-defense focused practitioners do. It's better to call it out for what it was than to defend him as if he was a good representation of Tai Chi applications.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He fell down after getting socked in the face twice.
He fell down because he had really bad footwork. We have seen competitors from various styles including Tai Chi who have better foot work than that. We have even seen untrained fighters with better footwork. This guy is just not a good representation of Tai Chi or Chinese martial arts in general. This fight wouldn't have gotten the publicity that it's getting had he not boasted and claimed himself as a "Tai Chi Master." It's no different than someone claiming to be a Master in BJJ and then show up and perform horribly against someone who trained themselves to fight.

When someone beats another who claims to be an expert or master, then it damages the perception of the defeated system. The problem with TMA is that many people try to make excuses for the practitioner instead of just coming out and saying the truth. The fighter had no fighting or sparring experience and because of that lost the fight in a disgraceful way after claiming to be a Master.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

He probably had an internet spat because he was boasting about something he couldn't actually do. Hence his comments "if he had used "real Tai Chi." That statement alone is evidence of a person's arrogance and not their training. If his Tai Chi was really that dangerous then why would he even accept the challenge?

I hope the fake CMA Masters will stop answering the call. As for Chinese MA the longer things like this goes on, the more important it will be for a realistic CMA practitioner to show an accurate display of CMA when trained for the purpose of fighting. For me if I accepted a challenge fight then everything is fair game, if I break my opponent then I just break my opponent. There's no way I'm going to care for my opponent's safety because I know he's not going to care about mine. The only thing I would hold back on are the things that cripple.

Latest Discussions