McGregor vs Khabib

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
McGregor got away with some illegal things. What Khabib did was wrong, but McGregor fueled the entire thing starting with the bus incident. The entire thing is a mess and really bad for the sport.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Headline in a British newspaper this morning. … "It's brawl over for McGregor as victorious Russian take the fighting outside the cage"
Groan. :D

Any better puns?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
McGregor got away with some illegal things. What Khabib did was wrong, but McGregor fueled the entire thing starting with the bus incident. The entire thing is a mess and really bad for the sport.
McGregor turned the sport into a joke, now everyone's looking to get fights the don't deserve by talking trash, everyone's demanding rematches after knocked out in the first round. Best thing for Mma would be McGregor retiring. In the 2 years he was gone it was getting back to the more professional ways now it's just an embarrassment again

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
“I hope they’re lenient on him [Khabib], not just so we can get a rematch,” John Kavanagh told Joe Rogan on the show. “I love watching him fight.”

“I can stretch myself to understand his reaction… He jumped over the cage, it’s not the end of the world”

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGregor turned the sport into a joke, now everyone's looking to get fights the don't deserve by talking trash, everyone's demanding rematches after knocked out in the first round. Best thing for Mma would be McGregor retiring. In the 2 years he was gone it was getting back to the more professional ways now it's just an embarrassment again

I think you may be getting over excited by this. Your hyperbole level is rising dangerously.
The UFC may be the biggest thing to happen to MMA but it's necessarily the best thing.

“I hope they’re lenient on him [Khabib], not just so we can get a rematch,” John Kavanagh told Joe Rogan on the show. “I love watching him fight.”

“I can stretch myself to understand his reaction… He jumped over the cage, it’s not the end of the world”

Not much upsets John.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah he probably even knows both mcgrgeor whoever the other guy is deserved it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he probably even knows both mcgrgeor whoever the other guy is deserved it

He knows what it's worth to the UFC, you watch there will be publicity phots of Khabib climbing over the cage for his next fight. Dana will pay his lawyers fees so he can keep his visa and they will hype up his next fight as a sort of 'redemption' fight, it could even be against Conor :D

No point getting upset about it all, it's isn't real, the uninformed 'fans' like a back story ( conditioned by WWE) they love all the aggro, they arguments about it and while people keep giving them publicity ( ie by arguing on social media etc) the UFC are watching the money roll in. They can see the tickets been sold already for whatever fights these two have. We'll have all the faux apologies, must do betters and beating of breasts but it's business, and for them, it's good business.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Headline in a British newspaper this morning. … "It's brawl over for McGregor as victorious Russian take the fighting outside the cage"
Groan. :D

Any better puns?
I just cannot turn down a good pun.... (or a BAD pun for that matter....) XD

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's the point of a rematch? The fight wasn't even close....

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rener and Ryron have thoughts on the matter.
Towards the end they express some opinions on the value of TMA vs MMA.
Didn't watch the whole vid, but yeah I was raised (so to speak) and trained only in traditional martial arts (with dojo kun and precepts etc). I used to watch UFC ppv events with my cousin as I loved seeing the martial technique and watching the skill. But more and more they just highlighting the trash talk and disrespect etc, and it just turned me off. And some people watch it for that and fair enough that's cool, but not my gig. Of course that wasn't for every fight, but the animosity etc turned it into a whole other ball game which I wasn't interested in.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't watch the whole vid, but yeah I was raised (so to speak) and trained only in traditional martial arts (with dojo kun and precepts etc). I used to watch UFC ppv events with my cousin as I loved seeing the martial technique and watching the skill. But more and more they just highlighting the trash talk and disrespect etc, and it just turned me off. And some people watch it for that and fair enough that's cool, but not my gig. Of course that wasn't for every fight, but the animosity etc turned it into a whole other ball game which I wasn't interested in.

Grassroots MMA is still martial arts and not show business, watch local shows with local fighters. I get a lot of grief off some here when I point out that MMA is the sport and UFC is the company but it's true, the UFC is all about making money, not that that's bad, but often standards go out of the window and it becomes just all about the money. The actual sport comes second, the morals and standards go out of the window.
smaller promotions run by people who know and love MMA are still good value, still keep the ethos of martial arts, support them and regard the UFC as just what it is. Goodness knows there's a lot, lot worse becoming acceptable at the moment, it should come as no surprise that bad sportsmanship is now acceptable too.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grassroots MMA is still martial arts and not show business, watch local shows with local fighters. I get a lot of grief off some here when I point out that MMA is the sport and UFC is the company but it's true, the UFC is all about making money, not that that's bad, but often standards go out of the window and it becomes just all about the money. The actual sport comes second, the morals and standards go out of the window.
smaller promotions run by people who know and love MMA are still good value, still keep the ethos of martial arts, support them and regard the UFC as just what it is. Goodness knows there's a lot, lot worse becoming acceptable at the moment, it should come as no surprise that bad sportsmanship is now acceptable too.
Yeah I remember you saying that the MMA stuff you've been involved in is very different to alot of companys which run MMA events. But yeah like many things, companys take all sort of sports and guides a certain direction for them. Ah wellz

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well $$$$$$$$$$, i guess, outside of their captive audience of violence fantasists and wWe moulth breather, the uFc a very limited number of fighter that the general public have heard of, that was just conner, now thanks to all the controversial actions, its conner AND khabib, to not have a bad blood rematch that would get the pay for view tills clanking would just be flushing money down the toilet

Perhaps conner should have a few warm up fights first, then it may not be so depressingly one sided, im glad i didnt actually pay anything to watch that, getting up at 5 am was bad enough

Last edited:

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was glad to see Khabib win. Despite his behavior after the fight, he handles himself in a more respectable manner overall than McGregor. Some people like the **** talkers and that certainly is good for the business side of the equation.

On another note, look at how important grappling is, especially wrestling in MMA. Khabib just destroys people.

IMO a good grappler will best a striker.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO a good grappler will best a striker.

The matching for the big promotions should be two opponents with really good skills in everything, makes for an exciting fight with tactics coming into play. However the UFC's aim is to make money so it's the fighters who are the most controversial/hated/loved etc that are matched.
People don't seem to watch the UFC to watch good techniques etc they come to watch 'their guy' win and the guy they love to hate lose. Just like WWE but with real strikes.

Latest Discussions