McGregor vs Khabib

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The matching for the big promotions should be two opponents with really good skills in everything, makes for an exciting fight with tactics coming into play. However the UFC's aim is to make money so it's the fighters who are the most controversial/hated/loved etc that are matched.
People don't seem to watch the UFC to watch good techniques etc they come to watch 'their guy' win and the guy they love to hate lose. Just like WWE but with real strikes.

Hey! WWE is real! Shoulda seen a few weeks ago... Samoa Joe did his rear naked choke on AJ Styles, and AJ Styles tapped out viciously, wowza that must've hurt! BUT AJ was pinning Joe at the SAME TIME! So it was VERY controversial, as it was... "1... 2.... (AJ taps out).. 3!!!" But the referee didn't see him tap out......

:eek:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey! WWE is real! Shoulda seen a few weeks ago... Samoa Joe did his rear naked choke on AJ Styles, and AJ Styles tapped out viciously, wowza that must've hurt! BUT AJ was pinning Joe at the SAME TIME! So it was VERY controversial, as it was... "1... 2.... (AJ taps out).. 3!!!" But the referee didn't see him tap out......

:eek:
I was way more angry when I found out the WWF was fake than I was when I found out about Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, et al. Not even close.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rener and Ryron have thoughts on the matter.
Towards the end they express some opinions on the value of TMA vs MMA.

I luv how BJJ perpetually concludes it's superiority as a martial art, by using MMA examples where the striking is mediocre to horrible. And please, stop quoting Royce Gracie's 'success.' Matt Hughes, a wrestler, flattened him like a pancake.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rener and Ryron have thoughts on the matter.
[vid omitted]
Towards the end they express some opinions on the value of TMA vs MMA.

There has been so much faulting of TMA by the MMA business machine... the competitors & coaches of course on board. If TMA striking is so wanting, why don't they suit up in karate gi's and show us so in another venue.

あまりに美しく、強烈で、感動的な空手大会の映像 2018Karate Tournament JKA

kuro-obi world

Published on Jun 4, 2018

SUBSCRIBE 117K
Now Available!! 90 minutes of 2018 JKA All Japan Karate Championship.Please subscribe and enjoy now! ➡️ https://kuroobi.vhx.tv/2018-jka-all-j... ★2018年6月3日に開催された日本空手協会 全国大会の映像。 可愛い子供達の演武、美しい型、素手で顔面を狙う強烈な組手。あらゆる感情が止まらない素晴らしき空手道。 <日本空手協会DVDシリーズ発売中!

MMA buffs can skip all that 'performance art' and go to the 2nd half.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was way more angry when I found out the WWF was fake than I was when I found out about Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, et al. Not even close.
Yep, totally understandable!
Yeah, yeah, yeah. They’re the “other” WWF to me. Their work wasn’t anywhere near as important to 8 year old me as Hulk Hogan, Iron Sheik, et al.
Haha too right!

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
The UFC has lost a lot of my interest over the years. Styles make fights and this fight was of greater interest to me due to the grappler vs striker element.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The UFC has lost a lot of my interest over the years. Styles make fights and this fight was of greater interest to me due to the grappler vs striker element.

You still see it. You just see this little snippets.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The interest is in the matchmaking. The point of MMA fights is that they are between two MMA fighters who can use all techniques. The fighters make the fights, the 'physical chess' game played between them. their ability to switch to ground or striking not one or the other, they should also be able to strike on the ground and grapple standing. So they should be equally good at stand up and groundwork, if they aren't they're not MMA fighters. Pitching a striker versus a grappler isn't MMA, it's old fashioned UFC and frankly boring.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
The interest is in the matchmaking. The point of MMA fights is that they are between two MMA fighters who can use all techniques. The fighters make the fights, the 'physical chess' game played between them. their ability to switch to ground or striking not one or the other, they should also be able to strike on the ground and grapple standing. So they should be equally good at stand up and groundwork, if they aren't they're not MMA fighters. Pitching a striker versus a grappler isn't MMA, it's old fashioned UFC and frankly boring.

You are right, and you can't be in the UFC if you don't know both at a pretty high level. In this particular fight though, it was a extremely high level grappler with subpar striking vs a very good striker and subpar grappler. So it had that dynamic which was a draw.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right, and you can't be in the UFC if you don't know both at a pretty high level. In this particular fight though, it was a extremely high level grappler with subpar striking vs a very good striker and subpar grappler. So it had that dynamic which was a draw.

I don't think it was particularly their fighting skills which was the draw rather the circus that surrounded them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I said big as in big

Not really, they haven't been relevant for a while but it's always sad to see people go out of business. CW has always been the promotion that people go on to go further.