Wow Conor

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They actually tell you to go for the ko in the UFC to get a fight bonus.

And hey. As a fight promoter. You get to go home a bit earlier. Win win.

Ah if only it worked like that, most fight promoters don't pay bonuses for KOs, being left with a lot of fans who were settling in for a night of fights and drinking aren't happy at only having ten minutes of actual fighting after paying for tickets and transport etc. they actually feel cheated, I know it sounds illogical but that's how it is.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah if only it worked like that, most fight promoters don't pay bonuses for KOs, being left with a lot of fans who were settling in for a night of fights and drinking aren't happy at only having ten minutes of actual fighting after paying for tickets and transport etc. they actually feel cheated, I know it sounds illogical but that's how it is.

I've never been to watch a fight, and really have no interest in doing so, but...

A few years ago my daughter was really into "Frozen" - she was really excited when "Olaf's frozen adventure" was added to the TV list.

So, she 'saved' watching it until the evening, sat down with her Anna and Elsa dolls - discounting credits etc. it lasted about 17 minutes.

Imagine if she was drunk and expecting violence...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been to watch a fight, and really have no interest in doing so, but...

A few years ago my daughter was really into "Frozen" - she was really excited when "Olaf's frozen adventure" was added to the TV list.

So, she 'saved' watching it until the evening, sat down with her Anna and Elsa dolls - discounting credits etc. it lasted about 17 minutes.

Imagine if she was drunk and expecting violence...

The tickets aren't cheap for fight nights, the dearest are the UFC ones which can cost hundreds of pounds, the cheapest are usually at least £75 each for not so good seats. The average prices for the smaller shows are £40-50 now (used to be £20ish when we started) as well as the drinks and possibly food, certainly transport, makes it not a cheap night out so punters expect something good for their money. A couple of good KOs is exciting but they also want some fighters especially the heavyweights go toe to toe for at least a couple of rounds. The spectators are more educated now than in the beginning when they just wanted 'kick boxing' and a couple of takedowns, they are appreciating the ground game more so a couple of technical fights from the lighter weights is good. What punters want is a 'war' ( another fanboy word lol) where fuelled by alcohol they can shout and cheer their favourites on while abusing the opponent. Nothing subtle, like boxing and the wrestling they like their 'baddies' and they like the flamboyant fighters. :D

I remember a fight night in Manchester when MMA was new here, there had been an uproar in the local newspapers about the 'human cockfighting', and 'death in the cage' etc. Protests etc which of course attracted the more yobbish type of person to come and watch hoping for dismemberment, blood and guts. They walked out after it proved to be a night of skilled MMA ie groundwork and standup which they found to be boring. These days luckily MMA is much more accepted.

Conor sells seats, there's a lot who want to see him badly beaten, others who think he's the best thing since sliced bread so he's appealing to the UFC, when he stops selling tickets he'll be dumped. His antics good or bad are publicity, the UFC doesn't care whether they portray him or even them in a bad light, they don't see themselves as role models just a business.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
His antics good or bad are publicity

Some of it might be intentional publicity, but I'm more inclined to think it's more just the variability of being human.

There are more sports "personalities" that make more negative news than he does - and I know people who are exponentially 'worse' on a weekly basis, if they were even partially famous they'd be in the headlines almost permanently...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of it might be intentional publicity, but I'm more inclined to think it's more just the variability of being human.

I always remember George Best's comment " I spent my money on women and booze, the rest I wasted'. A man who always made headlines outside football.

The UFC will more than tolerate any behaviour as long as it sells tickets, when that stops the fighter is gone.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try being a promoter though and every fight finishing in the first minute, not so much fun, in fact it's a nightmare.

The odds of that ever happening would be astronomically low, even if you were trying to.

Much adieu about nothing.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the first thing I thought of when I heard the outcome of that fight....man I'm glad I didn't buy that fight.

A quick KO is great for an undercard match but if I am spending money I want to see good fights that are pretty even with KOs late in the 1st round or preferably in the other rounds.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well sure, but that's really neither here nor there.

Evenly matched fights can and do also end in quick KO. Or are you that rare bird that likes to see the judges decide?

Just pointing out that your statement claiming short fights with quick knockouts are universally the favorite is factually incorrect.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The odds of that ever happening would be astronomically low, even if you were trying to.

Much adieu about nothing.

Actually you are wrong...again. The problem is that anyone can set up a fight night and 'match' fighters and there's plenty of inexperienced fighters and coaches that will take fights without understanding who their opponent is going to be. More experienced and shall we say less honest fighters/coaches will take on an less experience opponent because it looks good on their record. The end result is that there are a lot of fights that end quickly.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually you are wrong...again. The problem is that anyone can set up a fight night and 'match' fighters and there's plenty of inexperienced fighters and coaches that will take fights without understanding who their opponent is going to be. More experienced and shall we say less honest fighters/coaches will take on an less experience opponent because it looks good on their record. The end result is that there are a lot of fights that end quickly.
You are always SUCH a pleasure to talk to!

Anyway, I guess I'll be wrong again when I say you are now talking about a full card of mismatches where the favored guy is a KO striker.

Ya, sure, I'm sure that happens ALL the time. Silly me.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just pointing out that your statement claiming short fights with quick knockouts are universally the favorite is factually incorrect.
I'm not getting involved in this silly argument but all I'll say is. When the fight of the year lists come out every year how many of them are 1st round finishes....not many

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the first thing I thought of when I heard the outcome of that fight....man I'm glad I didn't buy that fight.

A quick KO is great for an undercard match but if I am spending money I want to see good fights that are pretty even with KOs late in the 1st round or preferably in the other rounds.
Welcome to Mma the sport that anything can happen. The way to not have that disappointment is to go watch WWE instead

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What do you mean if only?

That is how the UFC works.

And with a quick look. McGregor got a fight bonus for his 40 second ko.

UFC 246 post-fight bonuses: Conor McGregor one of five POTN winners

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
UFC 146 - Wikipedia

UFC 146 is the only card I can remember off the top of my head being all finishes (main card) the longest fight went 3:14 in the second round.

Now yes they're all exciting finishes but none were contenders for fight of the year. But I doubt any of the crowd went home disappointed either.

Obviously some will only want To see a KO and some will want to see a back and forth exciting fight. There's no right or wrong to this question its just preference. I like both I like a quick KO as much as the next guy but I also appreciate a back and forth battle that goes 5 rounds but I don't enjoy as much a guy getting a takedown and controlling a guy for 5 rounds and not doing any damage.

It's all preference.

From a promotions standpoint you want a mix you don't want all fights going the distance but you also don't want all of them over in 30 seconds either.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean if only?

That is how the UFC works.

And with a quick look. McGregor got a fight bonus for his 40 second ko.

UFC 246 post-fight bonuses: Conor McGregor one of five POTN winners

Er my post is self explanatory, sure the UFC works like that but as I said most promotions don't. There is life outside of the UFC you know, where most fighters actually fight.

Bully for Conor getting a bonus but the point of my posts wasn't what the UFC do which of course if you'd understood my posts you'd know.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From different perspectives.....

When you first start fighting you try to stay calm in the dressing room. You already know where you are on the card and bide your time with your corner men/trainers. When you're a rookie and there's a lot of first round finishes leading up to your fight, your nerves tend to amp up a bit as what you perceive as the lead up - gets thrown out the window. It becomes easier as you have more fights under your belt.

As a corner man you know your fighter and keep him calm and ready in the dressing room. But people come and go backstage and sometimes when they come through the door you hear the crowd going crazy outside over something or other. Sometimes that makes your fighter get amped up too early, sometimes it doesn't.

When you're a judge - first round finishes are great. You can actually appreciate them. You can't really enjoy a fight when judging as you can't watch the fight as you would as a spectator. My wife and I were MMA judges back on the East coast. There were several fight cards where we never had to render a decision as all were early knock outs or submissions. That's called Easy Money with the best seats in the house. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't really enjoy a fight when judging as you can't watch the fight as you would as a spectator

That's the mistake the fan boys make when they pontificate on fights, they don't know how to actually judge a fight. I totally agree you can't enjoy the fights you are judging.