Kotegaeshi with a difference

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for sparring or testing or experimenting with an aikidoka... Well, in another thread I saw a YouTube link of someone supposedly using Aikido to fight an MMA guy and completely failing.... So everyone's thoughts are probably "well, Aikido is useless against the MMA guy", but....the fact of the matter is that the aikidoka is lousy in his Aikido. In the whole video his posture is bad, his movements very far away from the Aikido way of moving and, to make matters worse, he is not trying a single Aikido technique, anything!! He looks like he is going for his legs or doing other lousy, monkey mumbo jumbo and he is claiming to be doing aikido.
The guy is a bloody joke! He is, not the art! And that's not bad, nobody is perfect but you don't post a video on YouTube demonstrating your incompetence and blame it on the art.

And Lets just call this one while we are here.

This was the guys training history.

He put the work rate in. There was something wrong with his system.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And Lets just call this one while we are here.

This was the guys training history.

He put the work rate in. There was something wrong with his system.

Yes he has moved on a bit has got a bit disillusioned and has said so but what he is saying essentially is correct

He came from what I have seen of him and his techs etc the Iwama style ...might be wrong though

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes he has moved on a bit has got a bit disillusioned and has said so but what he is saying essentially is correct

He came from what I have seen of him and his techs etc the Iwama style ...might be wrong though

He started aplying scientific method to his martial art. And martial arts tend to fall apart when that happens. It happens to a lot of guys when they either fight or start a sport. Happened to me.

It happens when you go from pads and drills to sparring.

It happens when you go from sparring to a fight.

Which is why people get mashed in sparring for stupid reasons. For example the other guy just might be really tough. And If you don't factor that in your ten years of technique gets overcome.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He started aplying scientific method to his martial art. And martial arts tend to fall apart when that happens. It happens to a lot of guys when they either fight or start a sport. Happened to me.

Which is why people get mashed in sparring for stupid reasons. For example the other guy just might be really tough. And If you don't factor that in your ten years of technique gets overcome.

I guess for me it a live in the moment not what might be or has been but what is

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand.

Ok

If it totally blind encounter as it were then it don't assume don't expect and don't get drawn look at the here the now and what he is giving not what he might or might not go with what he does

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok

If it totally blind encounter as it were then it don't assume don't expect and don't get drawn look at the here the now and what he is giving not what he might or might not go with what he does

That is a different concept to just having a tool box of reliable methods based on real world factors.

People train what they would like to happen. (people like to be comfortable)

And not what actually does happen.

Like street punch argument. Where if your technique doesn't actually work anywhere in training. It will still probably work in the street.

That way you can continue to be justified in your badassery without ever having to be a bad ***.

And this happens a bit if someone say takes up kickboxing from a TMA background.

You have crisper better technique than gumby who has been training 6 months. But 30 seconds in you are done and getting your head kicked in because you never trained your will game.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In CMA, that's called "lead your opponent into the emptiness".

Your opponent shoots at your leading leg. You pull your leading leg back and your opponent kisses the dirt.

I mentioned once sprawls were Aiki.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a different concept to just having a tool box of reliable methods based on real world factors.

People train what they would like to happen. (people like to be comfortable)

And not what actually does happen.

Like street punch argument. Where if your technique doesn't actually work anywhere in training. It will still probably work in the street.

That way you can continue to be justified in your badassery without ever having to be a bad ***.

not my take on it but I fully accept your view

and I am no badass lol never have been never will be I'm just me and opinions vary on that lol

Latest Discussions