Differences in Western Boxing and Wing Chun

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look Mayweather in the video above. First right punch, at the moment of the impact, only the toe is on the ground. The base still seems to me a bit more important in WC than boxing. Perhaps I am wrong...

No, its just that the base at that moment was the lead leg. Where many martial arts tend to keep both heels on the ground and the weight relatively evenly spread between between the two legs, boxing typically lifts one heel on impact for rotary force with the majority of the weight shifted to one leg. But there is still a solid base.

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
what are the pros and cons of each way of hitting? I wonder what the Western boxer would say is a pro of doing it their way, and what they'd say a con of the Wing Chun approach is.

This is a great question, and one you should look into for yourself. Practice hitting both ways. Which feels better? Which hits harder? Body movement isnt gonna be the same for everyone, you need to break apart your own movements and see where you can make them better/more natural. So throw both of these punches.. a lot. Then you'll be in a position to answer your own question.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apart from the obvious. Kicks elbows whatever. I don't think there is anything in chun that isn't already done in boxing.

So you could box with complete chun methodology if you wanted.