Interesting

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish I was near you right now, I'd like to have a couple hour conversation on that. Rather interesting.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish I was near you right now, I'd like to have a couple hour conversation on that. Rather interesting.
I’m not too far away from him. You can beat up on me too, then tell me some new (to me) stories of random celebrities you’ve crossed paths with.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I realized, this past weekend, while watching my youngest in her Aikido class, that I learn more about taijiquan from reading books about Aikido than I do reading books about Taijiquan.

Just wanted to note that.
Could it be that most of the MA have more in common at their core than they have differences? We tend to do a great job focusing on those differences and not looking for the similarities until those similarities figuratively (or sometimes literally) smack us in the face every now and then.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Could it be that most of the MA have more in common at their core than they have differences? We tend to do a great job focusing on those differences and not looking for the similarities until those similarities figuratively (or sometimes literally) smack us in the face every now and then.

There are more similarities than many notice or want to admit, IMHO. And we spend to much time focusing on, and discussing those differences while ignoring the similarities until, as you said, they smack us in the face.

I see a lot of similarities between Taijiquan and Aikido and I have learned much about applications within taijiquan by watching Aikido...the applications are not exactly the same, but similar and rather eye opening.

I also see a lot of similarities between Xingyiquan and JKD too, . And I believe that way of thinking has gotten me kicked off the Xingyiquan Christmas party guest list....but that is stuff of another thread :D

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are more similarities than many notice or want to admit, IMHO. And we spend to much time focusing on, and discussing those differences while ignoring the similarities until, as you said, they smack us in the face.

I see a lot of similarities between Taijiquan and Aikido and I have learned much about applications within taijiquan by watching Aikido...the applications are not exactly the same, but similar and rather eye opening.

I also see a lot of similarities between Xingyiquan and JKD too, . And I believe that way of thinking has gotten me kicked off the Xingyiquan Christmas party guest list....but that is stuff of another thread :D

My Aiki Jiu Jitsu teacher is a also Taijiquan Master. So yes they both have Chin Na incorporated into the system but originated from Tai Chi.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I’ve wandered into some other art - whether cross-training, seminars, or just MA play dates - I always learn something new about my primary art.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Every time I’ve wandered into some other art - whether cross-training, seminars, or just MA play dates - I always learn something new about my primary art.

Learned a lot about Xingyiquan from JKD and surprisingly I am learning a lot about Sun Style Taijiquan from my exposure to JKD

Latest Discussions