"I didn't expect to get punched in the face."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand laughing at the phrasing; it is kind of funny.

But it doesn't seem like you laughed with him. It doesn't seem like the situation was handled in a way that made the new student feel welcome and safe about training. And they didn't come back...

And there's the problem. Class must feel like safe place to train, not a place where you're going to be physically and emotionally accosted.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
images

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was everyone else on their first day, too?
This is important. Forget a fist to the face, I remember the first day I took a rattan Kali stick to the head. I was the new guy. No one laughed instead they showed concern. So I shook it off and kept training. If anyone would have left I would have said "this is a school!? I call ********" because a martial art school is a team, each person making the other stronger. Teams don't do well when you laugh at the failure of the FNG.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This says it better than I can say it.

No.
And that's the issue. I could bring a new student in, let them see the wrist technique being done (and received) by existing students (including those students tapping out), and it would unfair to simply walk up and crank a wrist lock on them and expect them to be okay with that.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is martialtalk. You should know that nobody is going to talk about the post, they're only going to attack the poster.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The internet is a place where people can easily be anonymous, if he identifies himself as the guy who this happened to then that is his choice.

Are you sure about the anonymous bit? Remember when you beat up your old relative and posted it on here? Your instructor found out and wasn't at all amused.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you sure about the anonymous bit? Remember when you beat up your old relative and posted it on here? Your instructor found out and wasn't at all amused.

My uncle called my instructor and complained about what happened.

Mattattack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first Kenpo Karate teacher was adamant about really trying to hit someone as the attacker while training. He would ask us to punch so he could demonstrate a technique, and sometimes he would just stand there to see if we were really aiming for his face or if we were punching off target as a way of being nice (every now and then he got socked in the jaw, but he was happy about it because that meant we were following his directions).

It made me realize that not trying to hurt people is a deeply ingrained habit, and it's very important for everyday life, but I needed to learn when/how to shed it in a me-or-him survival situation. It helped. You really work harder when you know your training partner is really trying to hit you. In this way if we are doing a simple practice where one person attacks and the other defends, both sides are practicing because the attacker is training himself/herself to always genuinely try to hit the other person.

One night my teacher put on a thin padded glove and said he was going to punch at us twice. The first time we were to let him hit us and the second one we should block. He wanted to teach us a lesson about keeping one's wits when one is smacked right in the face, and boy did it work. I didn't see the second punch (stars in my field of vision), but expecting the attack to continue after I was stunned enabled me to put up a defense and not get hit twice.

Thank God that was not every night of training, though. It really made me understand that Tyson line:

tyson.jpg

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first Kenpo Karate teacher was adamant about really trying to hit someone as the attacker while training. He would ask us to punch so he could demonstrate a technique, and sometimes he would just stand there to see if we were really aiming for his face or if we were punching off target as a way of being nice (every now and then he got socked in the jaw, but he was happy about it because that meant we were following his directions).

It made me realize that not trying to hurt people is a deeply ingrained habit, and it's very important for everyday life, but I needed to learn when/how to shed it in a me-or-him survival situation. It helped. You really work harder when you know your training partner is really trying to hit you. In this way if we are doing a simple practice where one person attacks and the other defends, both sides are practicing because the attacker is training himself/herself to always genuinely try to hit the other person.

One night my teacher put on a thin padded glove and said he was going to punch at us twice. The first time we were to let him hit us and the second one we should block. He wanted to teach us a lesson about keeping one's wits when one is smacked right in the face, and boy did it work. I didn't see the second punch (stars in my field of vision), but expecting the attack to continue after I was stunned enabled me to put up a defense and not get hit twice.

Thank God that was not every night of training, though. It really made me understand that Tyson line:

tyson.jpg

That is exactly how we are. I am glad somebody gets it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

tyson.jpg
I'm adamant about that, as well. But not the first day, before I've taught them how to block.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

tyson.jpg
Good thing I factor being punched in the mouth when I plan.

Latest Discussions