"I didn't expect to get punched in the face."

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was honestly trying to hold back laughing because it's Karate, that is a place where people hit each other obviously.
Well yes and no. If you are sparring then yes, you accept that you will get hit. Line drills however are a different thing. If your training partner doesn't block, does the wrong block, or has an ineffective block becasue they are new, then their partner should pull stop their punch. It's not a free pass to go hitting people in the face.

It worries me that the instructor doesn't see that as a probem, and that you think it's funny.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
@ Ironbear. I didn't mean this to be a put down to your school. It was a joke in poor taste.

I never took offense to it, I found it pretty funny.

That's because you like fighting other people do not and doing martial arts doesn't mean you have to get hit at all. Some people don't want to be hit and you saying its martial arts not chess or dance that shows that you'd make an awful teacher because a teacher needs to understand everyone's needs not just their own and the fact you don't understand why people aren't ok with that shows your ignorance on it. You like fighting so you don't mind it other people hate fighting and have never been hit In their life. In martial arts you build it all up not just getting a random smack your not expecting on the first day

So how can you learn martial arts without ever getting hit?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Might not that have something to do with first having been taught how to effectively block?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Like I said ignorance of course you can learn without getting saying you can't learn is just stupid so if I punch you in the face do you suddenly know martial arts no of course not. Plenty of styles don't have contact tai chi for one and plenty of different schools. Also I never said not to get it but to build it up slowly not punch a guy in the face on his first lesson

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well yes and no. If you are sparring then yes, you accept that you will get hit. Line drills however are a different thing. If your training partner doesn't block, does the wrong block, or has an ineffective block becasue they are new, then their partner should pull stop their punch. It's not a free pass to go hitting people in the face.

It worries me that the instructor doesn't see that as a probem, and that you think it's funny.

Exactly sparring you know your going to get hit but that's with pads on techniques or drills are done with bare knuckles and there needs to be control.

I agree with that and I'm surprised the instructor because from what ironbears said aboht he's an instructor he's an honourable guy who told off ironbear for starting fights, but it doesn't surprise me he finds it funny this is a guy who bragged about beating up his old, alcoholic out of shape uncle and said he'd have happily punched him around to get respect off his family

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As others have said getting hit is part of martial arts and getting hit in a drill by accident happens, but in this case for a first day beginner it shouldn't.
Look at it from this perspective,
You invite your friend to check out a martial art school he gets punched and then not only laugh at him but post on the internet how you laughed at him and how he wasn't even hit hard it really shows your character as a friend and a person.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think accidents happen in martial arts schools.

I wonder if the friend might have been okay with that, but then got turned off when he was laughed at...if the laughing did indeed happen to his face.

If you went home and had a chuckle about it, then he wouldn't know. Still wouldn't be right, but he wouldn't know.LOL

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I went to check out a local school one time, I had researched the style and thought it to be rather proficient and in line with what I persoanlly was looking for in a Martial Art. While I was trying out the class I noticed one boy who seemed a little out of control, he would go a bit too hard on the drills and just seemed overly hyper in general and often would drift from the task at hand choosing to add his own moves or to go more advanced. It seemed as if everyone there was a newbie as well. The instructor did nothing to correct this boys behavor and eventually he ended up punching a kid in the face causing his nose to bleed. This was a completely avoidable injury and showed a severe shortcomming in the instructor's abilities to teach. I never went back bacause of it.

Hearing this story reminds me of that experience, and maybe they aren't the same (I wasn't there for this story) but it seems to show a weakness in the instruction being given. Usually you team beginners up with advanced students at first who will go slow, enforce the foundations, and be gentle. I can't imagine a scenerio where being accidentally (or purposefully) punched in the face should occur on your first lesson.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow are you for real no damm wonder they didn't come back. Firstly contact doesn't happen in all martial arts even boxing and kickboxing doesn't have contact if you don't want it especially on the first training session. So the new guy not only gets a punch off from an uncontrolled student where it will hurt as they've never had it before and they'd be embarrassed as well the new guy getting it wrong of course they'd be embarrassed and to make it worse they've got some punk laughing at them and the instructor who does nothing about it and tells them well that's how it is deal with it. I wouldn't come back to a place like that and honestly you need to grow up. Firstly your listening in on a students conversation with an instructor which is none of your business at all. They say I didn't expect to get punched and that makes you laugh? Seriously? Oh yeah that's hilarious isn't it I'm laughing my head off at those very words hahaha isnt it so funny. Then you go online and post that story and ridicule them even more. What if they joined this site because they wanted to find out more about martial arts and the first they see is this jerk from their club making fun of them.

Reading a lot of the threads you've started has shown me everything i need to know about you. You need to seriously grow up because you're actions are like a bully not a martial artist and if you were my student I'd kick you out my club straight away for the stuff you've done. Hell I'd ban you for a week for even laughing at a beginner

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know the guy who did it, it was very controlled, no injury occurred. I really am not understanding why people are so turned off by this, yeah I get it's the first day but it is first day of Martial Arts training, not first day of chess or interpretive dance.

To be honest I have been hit much harder than that and the next chance I had I blocked it.

Have you noticed the fact that the vast majority of your posts are of you making excuses for things that you've done?

Just wondering if you had noticed that, and if that says anything to you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that everyone who takes a martial arts class doesn't want to know how fight. Some people just use it for exercise and health reasons and they usually have very little desire to be hit or conditioned to be hit.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Plenty of styles don't have contact tai chi for one and plenty of different schools.

Then I guess they should take up Tai Chi.

Hell I'd ban you for a week for even laughing at a beginner

As I said before, I laughed at his words "I didn't expect to get punched in the face." That was said in the class and again on the way home. I did not point and laugh at him for getting hit, which by the way the next chance he got he blocked it just fine.

People get hit all the time and I don't laugh at them.

Just wondering if you had noticed that, and if that says anything to you.

Yeah I'm the worst person ever.

You invite your friend to check out a martial art school he gets punched and then not only laugh at him but post on the internet how you laughed at him and how he wasn't even hit hard it really shows your character as a friend and a person.

The internet is a place where people can easily be anonymous, if he identifies himself as the guy who this happened to then that is his choice. Or he could simply not make that claim and continue to use the site.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

As I said before, I laughed at his words "I didn't expect to get punched in the face." That was said in the class and again on the way home. I did not point and laugh at him for getting hit, which by the way the next chance he got he blocked it just fine.

The internet is a place where people can easily be anonymous, if he identifies himself as the guy who this happened to then that is his choice. Or he could simply not make that claim and continue to use the site.
You don't get it do you it doesn't matter what the reason you still laughed at a beginner because you thought what they said was stupid and you've gone online and mocked them by starting a thread with their words. You could've simply made this into a discussion but instead you made into you trying to look cool by mocking people and like has been said you constantly make excuses for your actions, you've done it in all your posts which funnily seemed to have stopped when people started telling you you're wrong which you are here.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

My god you really are immature you acted like a jerk and your instructor and class mate were in the wrong just admit it and stop trying to dig your way out and make excuses you laughed at a guy on his first class whatever reason it was wrong. A guy in his first class got punched no matter where he got hit or how hard he got hit and that's wrong that's the facts. Like I said reading your stuff gives me 1 impression of you a bully. You've started fights to gain respect or to impress girls,you fought a guy in a gym because he said karate sucks you get upset because you can't wear a sleeveless gi to show off your muscles, you injured a younger student sparring when your instructor gave you special permission to spar even though you shouldn't have at your level, you assaulted a family member and now your laughing at students and mocking them and saying that you don't understand why people don't want to get hit or that they actually should be coming away getting hit. Seriously you're 27 and you're acting like a child I wouldn't expect that off a 10 year old. You've been training for a while yet you seem to have learnt 0 about real martial arts and the values it teaches. You seem very self centred hell look at your icon you've put up a picture of you with your shirt off...am I meant to be impressed by your muscles because I'm really not and I don't think anyone else here is either. You don't care aboht other people you just want to show off.

You know why I'm slating you like this not to have a go but maybe you'll learn something I've seen plenty of people like you arrogant bullies who thinks the world revolves around them and doesn't think about anyone else. Most of them end up dead or in jail. You need to step back and look at yourself instead of making excuses for these things. Be a man and admit you're wrong and actually do something to change it

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could've simply made this into a discussion but instead you made into you trying to look cool

This was made into a discussion. I don't actively try to impress people here, because I can't do that. For one the majority of the people are far more experienced than me, the purpose of the thread was to talk about the realities of training. Instead people are offended that someone got thumped on the jaw lightly in a martial arts dojo. Yeah it's their first day, that is why it was done lightly instead of harder. If your places do it differently than good on you but we have our way of doing things and it is clearly working for us as we have many students who do enjoy the culture we have here. This place has a high retention rate and that wouldn't happen if we were just chingons beating up on each other just to belittle and ridicule one another.

You've been training for a while yet you seem to have learnt 0 about real martial arts and the values it teaches.

What is real martial arts? That honestly sounds like the start of a true Scotsman fallacy.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You seem very self centred hell look at your icon you've put up a picture of you with your shirt off...am I meant to be impressed by your muscles because I'm really not and I don't think anyone else here is either.

The pic is to be funny. The username is Ironbear, so I ms painted a panda face onto my body, jokingly an Iron body because it is nowhere close to that.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is real martial arts? That honestly sounds like the start of a true Scotsman fallacy.

Wow that just confirms everything I just said. Martial arts is about learning to respect over people of any ability or size or gender and intelligence and not laughing at people and about learning how to avoid fights which you obviously don't do, it's about more than just punching and kicking people that's why so many parents get their kids into it to learn discipline and respect. Ask anyone on here they'll say the same which you obviously have not learnt

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow that just confirms everything I just said. Martial arts is about learning to respect over people of any ability or size or gender and intelligence and not laughing at people and about learning how to avoid fights which you obviously don't do, it's about more than just punching and kicking people that's why so many parents get their kids into it to learn discipline and respect. Ask anyone on here they'll say the same which you obviously have not learnt

I first did at age 5, left at 6 because I got bored of it, biggest mistake of my life, got back into it around 14 and left at 17 due to sifu being ill, picked up in it again 10 years later after training what I was taught so I wouldn't forget it.

I know about those lessons, they were drilled into our skulls everyday before and after class, but honestly I did not think I was doing anything disrespectful here.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The thread doesn't come off as
" hey my friend was enthusiastic about starting martial arts and I invited him to my school, unfortunately he got hit during drills by accident and even though we laughed at it later he doesn't want to come back any suggestions? "
Yours unfortunately is more like
"My friend wants to learn martial arts, he got hit during drills and he wasn't expecting it so I lolz at him getting hit then I came here to tell everyone"

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thread doesn't come off as
" hey my friend was enthusiastic about starting martial arts and I invited him to my school, unfortunately he got hit during drills by accident and even though we laughed at it later he doesn't want to come back any suggestions? "
Yours unfortunately is more like
"My friend wants to learn martial arts, he got hit during drills and he wasn't expecting it so I lolz at him getting hit then I came here to tell everyone"

Ok look. I do find it funny, I'm sorry but I just can't help it.

Latest Discussions