"I didn't expect to get punched in the face."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was shown the block. Simple outward block using the forearm.
I didn't say "before I've shown them a block". I said "before I've taught them how to block". Those are different things, and many new students will not be effective with a simple outward block right away. They have to recognize the strike, know where it's coming from, and kick off that unfamiliar movement. Someone feeding them strikes that first day (at the very least) should be pulling the punches to allow them time to learn the block and demonstrate that they are able to use it reasonably.

Attacks have to be delivered at a level where the person can defend them. It's okay if they fail occasionally, but there are reasonable ways to let them fail. After a certain point, getting tagged is just part of failing (and learning), but IMO that's not appropriate on day 1.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't say "before I've shown them a block". I said "before I've taught them how to block". Those are different things, and many new students will not be effective with a simple outward block right away. They have to recognize the strike, know where it's coming from, and kick off that unfamiliar movement. Someone feeding them strikes that first day (at the very least) should be pulling the punches to allow them time to learn the block and demonstrate that they are able to use it reasonably.

Attacks have to be delivered at a level where the person can defend them. It's okay if they fail occasionally, but there are reasonable ways to let them fail. After a certain point, getting tagged is just part of failing (and learning), but IMO that's not appropriate on day 1.

This method did not work for him, he never returned but at the same time. This method works for those of us who remain there. I personally hate it when people tell me "ok here it comes are you ready?" In my opinion that is the worst training.

I get that it should go in levels, first forms, then practice in the air, then on a bag, then on a live person attacking you, but I am not the teacher. The teacher chose to do throw him in the mix with the more experienced ones and we should have pulled our punches, but when we been training with each other who are more accostumed to getting hit we did it the way we are used to doing it.

I don't think this was necessarily wrong but it could have been handled better.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is exactly how we are. I am glad somebody gets it.
No one has ever said its wrong to take a punch and what mattattack said is right, what everyone is saying is wrong is that it happens on day 1 of training when the guy doesn't even know how to block and the fact that the guy had no control and the instructor did nothing about it and you laughed about it. You seem to think we're having a go at the idea of taking a punch when in fact the problem is A) the guy being on his first day B) your attitude towards it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first Kenpo Karate teacher was adamant about really trying to hit someone as the attacker while training.

Did he do that to a completely new to martial arts student in the first hour of their very first lesson then laugh because said student got punched in the face because he hadn't, in that hour, learn to block a punch or even dodge it? that's what happened to the chap in the OP's post and that's why we are saying it's wrong.
Later on sure, students should be trying to punch each other and if they catch someone then they should have blocked but it's not funny to have a completely inexperienced and new student on their very first lesson who has learnt nothing yet punched in the face then laugh at him.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to think we're having a go at the idea of taking a punch when in fact the problem is A) the guy being on his first day B) your attitude towards it.

This!!

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did he do that to a completely new to martial arts student in the first hour of their very first lesson then laugh because said student got punched in the face because he hadn't, in that hour, learn to block a punch or even dodge it? that's what happened to the chap in the OP's post and that's why we are saying it's wrong.
Later on sure, students should be trying to punch each other and if they catch someone then they should have blocked but it's not funny to have a completely inexperienced and new student on their very first lesson who has learnt nothing yet punched in the face then laugh at him.

Nobody laughed at his failing to block. The thing that was laughed about was his statement about it. It would be like me saying I walked into a kitchen and was shocked to see food there.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I plan on getting punched in the mouth while I plan on getting punched in the mouth

I often end up working on my face to fist technique while attempting to work on something called karate :D.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody laughed at his failing to block. The thing that was laughed about was his statement about it. It would be like me saying I walked into a kitchen and was shocked to see food there.

Nope, still doesn't work. No one should expect to be punched in the face within the first hour of their first lesson. Perhaps a better analogy would be that you walked into a kitchen and were shocked to see the animals being slaughtered for food in there. :rolleyes:

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, still doesn't work. No one should expect to be punched in the face within the first hour of their first lesson. Perhaps a better analogy would be that you walked into a kitchen and were shocked to see the animals being slaughtered for food in there. :rolleyes:

That would all depend on the kitchen. In Mexico and some parts of china people still sometimes cut off the head of a chicken and defeather it in the sink.

In an American kitchen it is already plucked and wrapped in a nice plastic container for you to just boil in water. No two kitchens are alike and I won't judge another kitchen as both are capable of making amazing food.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You really aren't getting it are you....

okay if you want to use your example yeah of course there's food in a kitchen but if you eat a certain meal in that kitchen would you then make a baby eat the same meal as you? No of course not because the babies not grown enough or developed enough to eat that amount of food and it'd be a shock to them and make them sick

Same with martial arts. You don't mind getting punched because your used to it with the training and the street fighting you do but a compete beginner isn't used to it so its a shock to their system and it will hurt more.

Also it's not about what you laughed at its the fact you laughed at someone lower than you. That's belittling someone and making them feel stupid and since its their first time in a new environment they'd feel unwelcome and overwhelmed and they'd feel threatened and intimidated not just because they get hurt but because they'd now be scared to ask a question or even say anything in case they're laughed at.

Honestly this has been explained to you hundreds of times (I know I've told you it enough) and the fact your still saying stupid comments like that shows that you really don't listen

Mattattack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Good point, thank you for bringing me back to the original post. I read it again.

No, my teacher did not do that on the first night. There is an assumption of risk in doing any martial art, which is a point that IronBear was trying to make, I think. But yes, the first night is not a good time to get socked in the face.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an assumption of risk in doing any martial art

Of course but you may want to spend a little time researching the OPs previous efforts, they usually start with something stupid he does, we tell him it's stupid ( ie beating his old uncle up, starting fights etc) and he starts back peddling. He posted expecting us to find it equally funny his mate was punched in the face in a martial arts class, we didn't. :cool:

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah cool he got shown it that doesn't mean he's ready to stop a full powered punch with it

Who said it was a full powered punch? he got thudded on the jaw and not knocked out cold. If you don't agree with this that's entirely ok but to continue to beat on this same subject is pointless.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it would be like you walking into a kitchen of a house you just bought, before you had a chance to go grocery shopping, and being surprised to find food there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was shown the block. Simple outward block using the forearm.

I am shockingly unsurprised to hear that you don't know the difference between being shown a block and knowing how to block.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who said it was a full powered punch? he got thudded on the jaw and not knocked out cold. If you don't agree with this that's entirely ok but to continue to beat on this same subject is pointless.
To someone who's never taken anything in their life. /thudded/ on the jaw that will still hurt someone. We keep saying it because you keep trying to defend you and your schools action and claim it was no big deal when it was and making belittling comments towards someone who's mean to be your friend

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am shockingly unsurprised to hear that you don't know the difference between being shown a block and knowing how to block.

I don't know why we have driving instructors now, they could just show people the steering wheel, brake, accelerator, gear stick etc ( yeah I know you lot in the US drive automatics lol ) and let them go off driving on their own! Or riding instructors, just show people the horse and away they go! What could go wrong?

Latest Discussions